Bread for the small Kitchen

Stealing Enigma’s thunder once more :kiss:. I came across this on igoogle.com

Make Bread in Your Rice Cooker

[quote]How to Make Rice Cooker Bread
There is nothing like home baked bread, thickly spread with butter, and a hot cup of soup or coffee. Baking bread means turning on the oven, heating up the kitchen and making a minor mess. Now you can enjoy freshly baked bread, baked on top of the counter or stove, by baking it in a rice cooker. It’s clean, easy to clean up afterwards, and the bread is just delicious.

Prep time - 30 mins
Two -1 hour rises
Baking time - 1.5 - 3 hours
[/quote]

I haven’t tried it yet. Since it’s pay day, I may. :wink: But if anyone else tries it, post your results please. Or if you’ve already done so, post your exprience and tips!

I got the recipe from another website.
I tried to make it once.
But I was silly to make a mistake by the yeast step.
So I failed after all.

No problem Nama. Good to hear from you.
I have been meaning to do a bread series for many weeks so now I don’t have an excuse to put it off any longer.
The following receipe is about as easy as bread gets (except rice cooker variety)
I use this same receipe for fried Indian bread, cinnamon rolls, cinnamonbuns and donuts. You just change the sugar content as explained more later.

Here is the basic stuff:
Regular White bread: for cinnamon rolls, white bread loaves, and fancy cinnamonbuns
3 cups warm water
2 pkgs yeast (2 1/2 tsp=1 pkg)
3 T sugar (add more for sweet recipies)
1 1/2 T salt
1/3 cup oil. Makes 3 loaves of white bread or a bunch of cinnamon rolls.
8 cups flour
Dissolve yeast in water. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Rise in greased bowl. Let double in size. Punch down and let it rise again to about double. Now you have a very large bowl of great dough and are ready to do something with it.

I grew up in North America on what we called fried Indian Bread. Just roll out a piece of the dough (use a wine bottle or anything else around that will work) Cut off irregular rectangular pieces and let sit for about 30 minutes or until all the cutting up is done. Now simply slide the pieces into some hot oil in your frying pan. Let the pieces brown and carefully turn them over and brown on the other side. Pull from the oil and drain on paper towels. This stuff will always expand and leave a nice hollow center in the piece of bread that is great for slathering with honey butter, but you might also try loading a goodly amount of spanish rice into the cavity.
Instead of irregular pieces, I now use a cutter that is actually one of my small Chinese bowls. It’s about 3" in diameter and cuts a nice round piece of sandwhich bread dough.

Of courese if you use the round cutter method and happened to have tripled the sugar in the basic receipe, you can frost these lovelies with some nice maple frosting after they cool a bit. The oblong ones make good maple bars though.
Running out of time right now but this receipe can make many other varieties of delicious bread. Try it. It is easy and the worst mess will be the honey butter dribbling down your chin.

If you do, let us know the results!