Break Up

I met this woman in Korea back in 2012. She used to work in Seoul during the first 2 of the 4 years I worked in Korea from 2012 to 2016. She and I gradually developed our relationship since we first met in 2012 and by 2015, I declared her as my girlfriend. Unfortunately she had to leave South Korea in late October 2014, but I made my plans to go and see her for my Lunar New Year and summer vacations in 2015. So I did. I spent time with her in Phuket, Thailand in Lunar New Year 2015 (Thailand is her country of origin), and I went to Vientienne, Laos in the summer of 2015 to see her. She worked there for some time and I went to see her there. On the day I was leaving, she left Vientienne for good. After that time I still kept contact with her. Then I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma and she still kept contact with me to support me. After I went back to Canada for good in 2016, she and I still kept in touch through Facebook Messenger. I also have her phone number. When I was working in Northern Ontario, Canada I recall the times when she would contact me through video conversation. I promised her that I would go to Thailand in 2018 to see her, and that promise I kept. But by the time I got there, she already started her new job, in May of 2018, and she needed 6 months to get time off. I went to Thailand in July, and she still could not take time off, so out of all 4 weeks I spent in Thailand, I was only able to spend 24 hours with her. So I went back to Canada and still kept in touch with her. But to make this story short, after I lost my job in Canada I signed a new contract here in Taiwan. Before I left Canada I called her and told her that I was heading to Taiwan. And she knew that with me being closer to Bangkok I would be able to see her again on a given long weekend. But unfortunately COVID-19 caused the border closures, so I could not see her. Since then she barely ever messaged me, and then just this week, I noticed that she is no longer on my Facebook Friends list. I still have her phone number and contact on Line Lite, but this does indicate that itā€™s over.
This does seem odd to you, in fact you will find me to be an odd person because of the fact that I had chosen to be in a long distance relationship that failed. I am so glad that I never remitted any money to her because she earns her own money. In fact she owns her own house in her home country. (Cheaper for her because in Thailand they donā€™t allow foreigners to hoard real estate like they do in Canada where I was priced out). But if she thinks she is too busy for me and has not time to talk to me, and drops me out of her Facebook friends list, then thatā€™s fine with me. Because all that does is give me the freedom to run around from one woman to another. I have no chance for a girlfriend in Canada, and I have no chance for one here in Taiwan either. Every relationship I have with every woman fails, so I am better off at being single. I can go wherever I want, do whatever I want, and travel around and meet women in places where they are easy to get. The best part of it is that I can avoid compromising, because nobody can change me except God and myself. But as the old jazz tune says, born to wander until Iā€™m dead.

Most people experience more failed than successful relationships.

7 Likes

Usually the one you end up marrying is the last one so it makes sense. Everything else is a failed relationship until you marry someone that ends when death do you part. No?

International relationships are hard. Cross cultural relationships are hard. Relationships are hard.

5 Likes

Is it usually?

3 Likes

I should rephrase that.

Your only successful relationship will be the last one you enter.

6 Likes

I wouldnā€™t know what a breakup feels like. I never entered into a relationship before.

3 Likes

Try contacting her and donā€™t give up.

Find out whatā€™s happening with her.

I stopped there.

In English, this is a very odd thing to say. Itā€™s a bit Colonial.

Iā€™m so telling on you.

7 Likes

Did you ever think she had someone else in Thailand?
Sounds like.
There is an old saying in Thailand, ā€˜You never lose the girl, just your place in lineā€™.

2 Likes

What if your spouse dies and you remarry?
Your first marriage was successful but not your last.

1 Like

Depends on how your spouse diedā€¦

2 Likes

I think one can have several successful relationships in oneā€™s life. IMHO thereā€™s no ā€œthe oneā€ but a lot of unique people.
In terms of survival it also wouldnā€™t make sense to have to wait until one has found ā€œthe oneā€.

Lucky bastards with multiple wives :thinking:

You are joking? Double-Treble-Quattro problems.

2 Likes
1 Like

Every failed relationship is practice for the one successful one.

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t born last time I heard anyone say that! Anyway my advice is to burn her number and forget about her. Donā€™t be afraid of moving on. Download tinder and donā€™t stop swiping until your fingers are bleeding.

1 Like

Any time I come up to a reference of that guy I picture the ā€œcrane kingā€ as a guy who made a fortune playing claw machine games.

Sounds like cheesy pick up lines works for the crane king.

"According to CTWant, Hu says that despite his personal and professional success, he is still afraid of rejection by would-be lovers. He says that when he takes interest in a woman, he will break the ice by saying, ā€œWould you like to be my wife?ā€ and ā€œLife is hard. Let me take care of you.ā€

1 Like

Your paragraphs need to break up.

5 Likes