Breakfast cereal

I ran out of Sanitarium Weetbix recently and Weet-a-bix makes a poor substitute. They’re like substituting Promite for Marmite plus they have a dry taste. So I’ve switched back to the Milo Cereal in part due to the ingredients.

I was brought up putting fruit on my cereal and have observed my peers putting sugar on theirs and I’ve tried that once in while. Cut bananas, pears and peaches along with milk are my favourite breakfast cereal additions.

I’ve heard Bran is the best cereal due to high fibre content. However the taste factor isn’t there for me and adding any of my favourite fruits to it doesn’t seem to change that fact.

The Cerear and the Kellog’s Cornflakes here taste like they’ve had sugar added compared with the Western versions which would come as no surprise considering the taste of most Taiwanese bread.

I’d like to eat the Muesli’s here but the price seems ridiculous. I’m willing to buy it once in a while.

That’s enough self-indulgence. What breakfast cereals do you eat and why?

I have not eaten cereal in a few years. I don’t like milk. But my favorite cereal was FROOTLOOPS. And Rocky Road.

Not very healthy, huh? But mighty delish!

Kellogg’s Raisin Bran and Cheerios (all flavors, but original is best). When I want to be bad, Apple Jacks.

I haven’t been able to find Raisin Bran here. I’m probably not looking hard enough.

I usually get Raisin Bran from Costco. Sometimes I get the Quaker Oats, or Frosted Mini Wheats. They all come in a big box, but they have two individually wrapped packages inside. Sometimes I add a banana.
Cereal is great for those of us who hate to cook. It’s true. They’re Great!

Machtick man you mentioned the Sanitarium brand. I’ve only seen that in Australia. Can you get it here?

Carrefour has an okay selection of cereals, but they do tend to get a bit boring after a while. I’ll add yoghurt once in a while, just for something different.

Can’t do Chinese breakfast yet. Even the smell of fried dong xi in the morning makes me want to barf. In the winter it’s great to wake up with some porridge!

L

:smiley:

[quote=“Limey”]Machtick man you mentioned the Sanitarium brand. I’ve only seen that in Australia. Can you get it here?

:smiley:[/quote]I’m not sure. A friend of mine brought me a large box from New Zealand. I think I’ve seen it in Tesco’s here. I know where I can get Sanitarium Marmite in the small jars though. I’ve never tried the English version of Marmite.

This has been my favorite cereal for over 20 years (well, maybe they weren’t mini back then, or even frosted, I can’t remember).

I get a box almost everytime I go to Costco. That’s the good shit!

“Come to the Honeycomb hideout”

“Two scoops of raisins in a package of Kellogg’s Raisin brand”

Post’s Cereals for me

1. Almond Honey Flakes
  2. Banana Nut Crunch
  3. Cranberry Almonds

Yumm…
But bloody expensive here…

I cook my own slow oats (in winter) and buy that Australian muesli at Welcome in summer. I used to think it was expensive too till I figured out that it was only costing about NT20-30 per serving. So I’m spending NT600-900 a month on cereal and a little more on soya milk. Big deal. What would it cost to eat out?

Porridge. Cheap, easy and healthy.

Buy the plain oats. Add water. Microwave a few minutes. Add milk (I use non-fat). Add sugar or sweetener.

Fills you up, and with no fat, no sugar and a low-GI it’s the perfect diet food.

Bloody delicious too.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Porridge. Cheap, easy and healthy.

Buy the plain oats. Add water. Microwave a few minutes. Add milk (I use non-fat). Add sugar or sweetener.

Fills you up, and with no fat, no sugar and a low-GI it’s the perfect diet food.

Bloody delicious too.

Brian[/quote]

You should go for the slow oats. The quick ones are not as nutritious and actually are fairly high on the glycemic scale if I remember correctly.

Did the cereal originate in one of them? Or does it appeal most to “residents” thereof? Historical cereal brand maybe?

OK, just having fun. No rocks please. :uk: (imagine it surrounded by a bunch of blue with stars)

I’ve developed a forumula, for variety mostly. I pre-mix two cereals 50/50. Mueslix and Quaker Granola. Then add the fruit de jour. Nice.

Really though, I personally think cereal is a waste of time. Eat it and you’re hungry ten minutes later. Bacon and eggs are good once in a while. I teach at 2 pm though so it doesn’t really enter into the equation. First meals for me now are ramien noodles, kimchi, sometimes rice or kimbap. Sometimes sausages and eggs.

I like Pro-Nutro and on Wedneday/Thursday, that’s what I’ll be eating for breakfast.

Did the cereal originate in one of them? Or does it appeal most to “residents” thereof? Historical cereal brand maybe?

OK, just having fun. No rocks please. :uk: (imagine it surrounded by a bunch of blue with stars)

I’ve developed a forumula, for variety mostly. I pre-mix two cereals 50/50. Mueslix and Quaker Granola. Then add the fruit de jour. Nice.[/quote]

Yeah, the brand name had me laughing when I first discovered it:-

This could only be an Aussie product, couldn’t it? :smiley:

Another fine Sanitarium product.

[quote=“914”]I have not eaten cereal in a few years. I don’t like milk. But my favorite cereal was FROOTLOOPS. And Rocky Road.

Not very healthy, huh? But mighty delish![/quote]

You can take the “Rock” out of college, but…

How do you tell the difference?

Brian

How do you tell the difference?

Brian[/quote]

Slow oats are thicker and bigger and usually are labelled as slow oats. They take 15-20 minutes to cook. Much longer than the 2-3 minutes for slow oats. Taste is much better too.

[quote=“914”]I have not eaten cereal in a few years. I don’t like milk. But my favorite cereal was FROOTLOOPS. And Rocky Road.

Not very healthy, huh? But mighty delish![/quote]

I would recommend that you try Fresh Delight which has brown livery. (the skim version has blue). Anyway apparently they massage the cows or something like that “Hokkaido Style”. Its more expensive than normal milk but the difference is worth it. I’m completely addicted now and drinking almost 2 L per day.

In terms of cereals, weet-a-bix isn’t too bad…