Breaking a contract -- deposit returned

Are they able to communicate in English, or better to get a Mandarin speaker to talk on your behalf if your Mandarin is not up to par?

??? Would imagine any landlord issues raised in this thread have long since been resolved!

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear. I meant are the people at https://www.tmm.org.tw/ able to communicate in English.

I have just given my landlord 30 days notice and was hoping to get my full deposit back.

Ah, that makes more sense. Often they have student volunteers in the office who I imagine would have some level of English. You’re best visiting in person, they don’t seem to reply to emails and any phone support I’ve had from them in the past was very much in Chinese.

I suggest you discuss your expectation with your landlord in advance. You can get all your utility bill amounts up to date by taking the readings from the meters, work out all the approximate outstanding costs and calculate what your landlord owes you, send them a test outlining what you expect to receive back on the day of handover so they can prepare cash or bank transfer in advance. Do not relinquish control of the apartment until you get all owed to you or at the very minimum a signed and stamped IOU. Also make sure your copy of the contract is signed and stamped by the landlord as complete with no issues outstanding.

1 Like

Thanks, I will stop by their office. Appreciate the advice. Fingers crossed, my landlord is a penny pincher, so it will take some push to get the whole deposit back. Hoping 30 days is considered enough notice after living there for more than 3 years.

When did you last sign a contract and how long was it for?

I just started another year long contract on June 1st, 2021

OK, can see how the LL might not be best pleased! On the positive side as you recently signed a new contract you are absolutely subject to the newest rental laws so return of deposit is required if you have given advance notice at least equal to your rent payment periods, i.e. 1 month if paying monthly.

1 Like

I’m in the same situation. my new employer now requires me to be back in the west. hence I have to leave on short notice. my rental period runs from the 17th of each month. and I’m likely to leave on the 21st so it doesn’t make sense to pay a full months rent. I’m equally fine with the landlord holding some of the deposit as penalty. However, should that penalty be the full deposit or just 1 month’s rent. My landlord is a pretty friendly fellow, however you know with money matters it’s always good to exercise caution. wanted to know, how you folks would approach this matter ?

Every contract I’ve ever signed here has been 2 months deposit, with a 1 month penalty if breaking it early.

I never stay a full year in a place, so always pay the month penalty (unless I can find someone to move in straight away, then it’s always been waived)

How much time can you give him?

If you can only give him a few days, just let him keep the full deposit.

If you’re giving him a month’s notice, he’ll likely let you pay a quarter of a month for the last few days.

The landlord is not a charity. He is a business man negotiating is the best course.

I’m perfectly okay, with him keeping the full deposit given the short notice i.e less than 2 weeks. What I’m trying to avoid is paying additional rent on top for a few days as that wouldn’t make sense

I doubt he’ll refuse your request of you’re giving up the full deposit. He may even give you a month back, so I’d give him a chance to make an offer first.

1 Like