Breaking a lease / rental contract - penalties

Sounds like it, get back in touch with her and ask her if she knows the rules were updated a few years ago.

But maybe some are… hahaha. I did what felt right, and what I would want if I was the other party, which was to give maximum notice.

They’re happy to part amicably, as long as they get the entire two month bond. Now I have the maximum amount of time to have to deal with this issue!

I’m leaving in 7-10 days, so I can’t just not pay the rent for a month and then give the notice. Obviously, I’m not going to pay any more rent as it might be very hard to get that back. I guess my next step is to point out the law and, failing that, there is some body for arbitration?

I notice on that page you linked to there is a comment:

The Consumer Protection Department also urges all renters to provide lease contracts that comply with the provisions of “What should and must not be recorded in a residential sublease stereotyped contract”. Those who do not make corrections will be punished by the competent authority in accordance with Article 56-1 of the Consumer Protection Act.

Which presumably means they can be fined for putting that in the contract.

I appreciate all of your super helpful input.

She’s has lots of lease contracts, she doesn’t own the properties, just sub-leases them, I would be surprised if she doesn’t.

@SuperS54 Is there an agency/body that deals with disputes or does mediation/arbitration?

So she has a right to one month’s deposit according to the law. You are staying to mid October so that is half a month’s rent you should pay and you have to leave some for utilities.

In the end, you are only arguing over maybe half a month’s rent, right?

I’d consider leaving it. Don’t pay any more obviously.

3 weeks. Utilities are very little because I haven’t been here much. And she has lots of contracts so is presumably doing this to everyone who breaks the lease.

It would stress me out. I guess it depends how much time you have this week to go back and forth. Good luck with the new job anyway. I assume the Vietnamese aren’t so anal about being jabbed, boosted and this one will work boosted.

Yes, it is stressful, but I have to pay another bond and rent straight away in another country in addition to all the costs of moving there, so there’s no point throwing money away, especially when the contract breaks the law in the first place.

Thanks, yeah, most people there are just getting on with their lives, maskless and I do believe without the constant pressure and propaganda to continue boosting.

Yes there are. Your best first step is to get in touch with 財團法人崔媽媽基金會官網 (tmm.org.tw) , they have a lawyer who will provide legal advice to you free of charge. If your Chinese is not very fluent I suggest call in in person to their office or have a friend phone them, don’t bother emailing they rarely respond. They will advise you of your rights and may also attend a conference call with the landlady if necessary. They are a volunteer organization so please do make a meaningful donation is they successfully help you.

If that fails your local government office will provide a mediation service, however that will obviously take time and it sounds like time is not on your side. Are you still in Taiwan?

3 Likes

Thanks for the helpful advice, I will pay it forward!

How do I find which is my local government office (Banqiao area)?

Yes, I’m still in Taiwan for another week.

National Immigration Agency, R.O.C. (Taiwan) - Foreigners In Taiwan Hotline: 1990 should be able to assist you with that. Before taking the nuclear option, have you discussed all this with your landlady?

Not yet. But she’s not reasonable so I don’t hold much hope on an outcome that is fair and legal for both of us. Her aim is to maximise profits on properties that are not even hers hence the clause.

Are you renting a room in an apartment or an entire apartment from this lady?

If you pay then the month plus an extra week, they will likely accommodate you.

If I pay this months rent, guaranteed, I’m going to have a very difficult time getting it back. They’re happy to accommodate anything, providing I pay a full 2 month bond penalty.

From what you’ve written, I wouldn’t pay them any more if I were you. They’re already trying to penalize you more than they’re legally allowed and charging you the month’s rent that you won’t be there, so I don’t see why you’d want to pay again for the extra days you’re already paying for?

2 Likes