Breaking contract with STIFF penalty

Dude, you have a Masters and you ended up at the worst buxiban I’ve ever read about? Do you need a life coach or something?

In all seriousness, yes you could get a uni position, especially if your Masters is related to education.

I think Jackie Harris is available. :slight_smile:
Jackie%20Harris%20you%20tell%20them

1 Like

A belated final update – we enjoyed our last couple weeks in Taiwan without incident. We never saw our boss again after that last conversation. As requested, our manager gave us our final salary in full, tax documents (with correct earnings), and contract cancellation letters before our last afternoon of classes and came to bid us farewell (and collect our keys) when we left.

When went to the tax office before leaving, we learned we didn’t actually have all the documents we needed. The clerk told us he’d contact our manager for the documents and finish filling out our tax forms for us. He gave us the receipt from the bottom of the form, though.

We are looking at returning to Taiwan. Any advice on how to handle this buxiban experience on my resume and with hiring managers? List it on my resume and explain the early contract termination in a cover letter/ interview?

Ha, maybe. I thought I wanted to be an academic in my early 20s. Started a fully-funded program, hit medical hurdles that resulted in major surgery, had a change of heart, took the MA and hopped off the American academia train. And there’s my life story. My Masters is not related to education, but I do have some university teaching experience. I’ll take a look in that direction and shy away from sketchy buxibans in the future.

6 Likes

I’d keep it off your resume. They won’t believe your story, they’ll just hear “termination.” Normally I wouldn’t suggest this, but you could lie and say you were working at a cram school in the US or another Asian country. They’d probably be too lazy to check on that due to language barrier and distance and just take your word for it. It’s a risk. But the chance you getting caught out on that is lower than the chance of you getting rejected due to having your last contract terminated early.

Keeping your resume concise is one thing. Providing false information is another. :balance_scale: :yin_yang: :2cents:

Don’t forget LSA Art. 12 Par. 1 Subpar. 1:

The translation of that last part is a little off. 虞 doesn’t indicate a requirement for harm to have occurred; it means there is fear or anxiety that harm will occur. It’s the same 虞 as in Art. 14 Par. 1 Subpar. 6,

If the subject of what you did before in Taiwan comes up, a good employer will understand that there are dodgy employers out there.

1 Like