Breaking fingernails playing classical guitar

Yeah, but it’s better than walking around with creepy long fingernails. Have you considered an nice French manicure in acrylic?

2mm isn’t long and creepy. :raspberry:

I was reading this discussion forum a while ago, and some bloke was talking about getting nails done in acrylic to keep them strong. Not sure where it was, though.

guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum … 00078.html

Yeah, some classical guitarists have their nails strengthened with acrylic or other plastic nails glued on, or just many layers of polish. But fingerpicks I don’t think could possibly work for classical; variability of tone is vital, and then you’re on nylon strings, remember. Fingerpicks might work for other styles on a steel string guitar. Or you could use one temporarily, if you lost a fingernail through injury.

Back of the hand.

'[quote=“archylgp”]I’ve been experimenting with nail shape/length. So far I haven’t been pleased with anything, although it’s getting better with the development of a ramp that starts low on the left side. I’ll try the reverse after this.[/quote]

Yeah, I use a very slight ramp on the left too, and keep them very short. They start catching at anything over two mm of white. :idunno: