Breaking in a new bike

[quote=“jands”]Today was a Happy Day! I have found a mod shop in Kaohsiung (Chung wa 1st Road). The staff there were extremely friendly and helpful.

The first thing they told me is that I need to wait until I have done 3000km before performance will improve.

The second thing is that they taught me how to break the scooter in.

0-1000km = No faster than 100km/h and change the speed constantly (hit 100km/h then let it drop back to 80km/h)

At 1000km try to get it past 100km/h.

Then keep doing the 100km/h down to 80km/h for another 2000km.

They said that the unmodified Yamaha is well know for poor acceleration from 0. But I can make up for it in the mid-range.

The variator and exhaust mods are the best thing I have done. If I still want more power I need to get the bigger cylinders (150cc) and change the carburator/CDI box. When I change the carburator the TPS will also be removed (because it is attached to the stock carburator).

They Malossi cluth springs will give me a slight improved acceleration.
The Malossi clutch and torgue driver are for modified engines and they will only improve the mid to high range speed.

They advised me NOT to get a new cam as the performance gain is minor and it will only keep on buring out.

The only other thing I can do for acceleration from 0 is to get some GOOD tyres.

Happy day
:unamused:[/quote]

are all those 100-80 etc all really necesssary? I tho to break in a car you just take it easy on everything for the first 1k miles…but on a biike you gotta do all those? hmmmmm are those really necessary

The way I learned to break in an engine on a bike…had little to do with speeds, but moreso the RPMs. First 200km don’t go over 4k RPM next 200km raise it to 5k…etc.

So on my 1000cc bike back home (a cruiser) I had a top speed of about 50km hour for the first few hundred kilometers. If you really wanna break a bike in the “gentle” way…I’d be doing it in more gradual steps. And variating the speeds would help.

so at least how many km to break in the bike?

Very important to let the bike warm up before riding it. Cold starts are hardest on the engine.

Personally, I’d increase the top speed incrementally from around 40km/hr to 80,90…with the first 500km…then ride normal.

so 500km…the guy on top said 3k heh

how long to warm the bike up before riding it? like half sec? and should warm it up everytime not just during break in period eh? just like cars

[quote=“ironfist”]so 500km…the guy on top said 3k heh

how long to warm the bike up before riding it? like half sec? and should warm it up everytime not just during break in period eh? just like cars[/quote]

Yeah…like cars…my large motorbike wouldn’t even move if you tried to ride it before 4 min of warm up…well it would move…but it would vibrate loudly…which is norm.

The majority (maybe 80%) of break-in happens in the first 20-50km after that you’re just ironing out the bugs.

Some people might disagree with some of my above…but one thing most everyone (other than the guy who sold you the bike) will agree with is to change the oil after only 20 or 30 kilometers. By 20km most of the metal that’s going to “chip off” has already done so…and is sitting in the oil…best to get it out.

20km? the manual says 300km and my mechanic told me to come back at 300km too…20km? that’s too few I think?

Search MJB’s posts for tips on breaking-in a new engine. The most crucial period is the first 100km. Standard manufacturers’ advice seems to be to take it very easy for the first 100, then still pretty easy up to as much as 1000km. Very frustrating of course and I think the odd burst of power won’t do it too much harm. City riding is actually quite good for breaking in a new engine as there’s plenty of variation in engine RPM.

You can do something called heat cycling but I think that is only of any use if it’s an absolutely brand new engine. If you’ve already done a couple of dozen km it’s probably not worth it.

[quote=“joesax”]Search MJB’s posts for tips on breaking-in a new engine. The most crucial period is the first 100km. Standard manufacturers’ advice seems to be to take it very easy for the first 100, then still pretty easy up to as much as 1000km. Very frustrating of course and I think the odd burst of power won’t do it too much harm. City riding is actually quite good for breaking in a new engine as there’s plenty of variation in engine RPM.

You can do something called heat cycling but I think that is only of any use if it’s an absolutely brand new engine. If you’ve already done a couple of dozen km it’s probably not worth it.[/quote]

Any opinion on the 20-30km oil change?

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“joesax”]Search MJB’s posts for tips on breaking-in a new engine. The most crucial period is the first 100km. Standard manufacturers’ advice seems to be to take it very easy for the first 100, then still pretty easy up to as much as 1000km. Very frustrating of course and I think the odd burst of power won’t do it too much harm. City riding is actually quite good for breaking in a new engine as there’s plenty of variation in engine RPM.

You can do something called heat cycling but I think that is only of any use if it’s an absolutely brand new engine. If you’ve already done a couple of dozen km it’s probably not worth it.[/quote]

Any opinion on the 20-30km oil change?[/quote]I really don’t know much about this stuff apart from what people have told me and what I’ve read up on the internet. But yes, an early oil change does seem to make sense, to get rid of any little bits of metal floating around. And people usually recommend mineral oil for those first few km, don’t they?

I’ve broken in new engines twice, the first time with the standard take-it-easy treatment and the second the same but with a few initial sessions of heat cycling and with more conscious effort to vary the RPM throughout the whole break-in period. Both engines were fine, but I don’t really have much to compare them with.

oh man first 100? I am like 180km now…oh well…well if you didn’t break in engine correctly then what does it do exactly? I think not a major deal?

Someone else’s same model scooter might pull aways from yours a tiny bit faster. And instead of your engine lasting 6 years it might only last 5 and a half. So no…not a major deal. And the Taiwanese that I’ve seen pay no attention to breaking in at all…not sure if that’s the majority though.

You don’t have a mechanical background - do you? Only because most Taiwanese do not care much about it, it does not mean it does not matter!

Changing oil after 20 or 30km does not make much sense. For small engines, changing it after the first 100km is recommendable, as small displacement engines do not have an oil filter like large displacement engines. For large displacement engines changing the oil after the first 1000km is recommendable.

[quote=“hm”]

Changing oil after 20 or 30km does not make much sense. For small engines, changing it after the first 100km is recommendable, as small displacement engines do not have an oil filter like large displacement engines. For large displacement engines changing the oil after the first 1000km is recommendable.[/quote]

On the bike sites that I frequent they recommend well under a hundred for your first change. Any disformations in the engine that are going to break or flake off…do it quickly…you then have lots of metal slivers in your engine which may scratch things up and cause problems.

For scooters you can get a magnetic oil plug screw thingy. And when I changed my oil after a few dozen kilometers he showed me all the metal bits stuck to the magnet.

You don’t have a mechanical background - do you? Only because most Taiwanese do not care much about it, it does not mean it does not matter!

[/quote]

I meant that he shouldn’t worry if he didn’t break it in perfectly with regards to others scooters being better than his. If he broke his scooter in at all…it will still be in better shape than most on the street.

Sorry for not making myself clearer the first time.

[quote=“Mordeth”]On the bike sites that I frequent they recommend well under a hundred for your first change. Any disformations in the engine that are going to break or flake off…do it quickly…you then have lots of metal slivers in your engine which may scratch things up and cause problems.

For scooters you can get a magnetic oil plug screw thingy. And when I changed my oil after a few dozen kilometers he showed me all the metal bits stuck to the magnet.[/quote]
If you see it this way, you better change the oil every 5km during the first 100km. :noway: For a modern air cooled 4 stroke engine with smaller manufacturing tolerances, 300km till the first oil change shouldn’t be a big deal - in part due to the magnetic part in the oil drain screw, which attracts the metal bits - but not later.

Changing oil after 20 or 30km does not make much sense. For small engines, changing it after the first 100km is recommendable, as small displacement engines do not have an oil filter like large displacement engines. For large displacement engines changing the oil after the first 1000km is recommendable.[/quote]

so for a new bike change it after 100km and a new car change it after first 1k km?

the bike manual says 300km…I guess anywhere from 100 to 300km is fine

I just found some “first oil change” info on the web. I’m going to give it its own thread as few people would check “Cygnus Modifications” to look for oil change info. It’ll be up in 2 min.

Sorry, there is no standard answer. It simply depends on the engine design. For example my air cooled 4 stroke 50ccm scooter got the first oil change after 300km. My air & oil cooled 1150ccm motorcycle got the first oil change after 1,000km and my car with 2,200ccm water cooled engine got the first oil change after 10,000km (always in accordance to the manual). As a rule of thumb, smaller engines need higher rpm and thus more frequent oil changes than large displacement engines with higher performance (mainly torque) at low rpm. However, there are other influential factors too (e.g. mineral or synthetic oil).

If you do it between 200km and 300km it should be OK.

Sorry, there is no standard answer. It simply depends on the engine design. For example my air cooled 4 stroke 50ccm scooter got the first oil change after 300km. My air & oil cooled 1150ccm motorcycle got the first oil change after 1,000km and my car with 2,200ccm water cooled engine got the first oil change after 10,000km (always in accordance to the manual). As a rule of thumb, smaller engines need higher rpm and thus more frequent oil changes than large displacement engines with higher performance (mainly torque) at low rpm. However, there are other influential factors too (e.g. mineral or synthetic oil).

If you do it between 200km and 300km it should be OK.[/quote]

Still going to have to disagree. You check out the thread I already put up called “First Oil Change” yet, hm?