Breeze Center

And there’s Belgian beer in the basement supermarket of the Breeze Center. Each bottle is NT$ 99–Duvel, Chimay, a framboze, some others all available.

Just don’t hang out too long. The last time I saw a movie at Breeze it actually began at the listed time. :shock: :slight_smile:

It was a surprise, but a very nice one, considering how much advertising and other crap one is forced to sit through at some other theaters, esp. Warner. :imp:

I went to Breeze supermarket for some cheese and organic veggie shopping last Friday night, and came away with two unexpected bonuses: delicious fresh raspberries from the States and, best of all, frozen whipped-cream profiteroles from Holland which were absolutely delicious (so that I couldn’t resist scoffing the whole lot as soon as I got home). And even if you don’t have their credit card, there’s a 10% discount on everything in the supermarket as a special promotion for a couple of weeks or so (I didn’t pay too much attention to the dates, but I think it continues into next month).

Some of the prices there are marked up rather excessively (for example, the bags of washed, ready-to-eat organic lettuce from the U.S. that I buy in Wellcome for NT$139 cost NT$189 in Breeze), but on the whole it doesn’t strike me as especially expensive.

I saw the new Matrix movie there this evening, and it began about 10 minutes after the stated showtime. But that’s still better than some places.

How hard is it to get this card as a foreigner on an ARC? Is it a credit card, or one of those “preferred shopper” cards that are just used for marketing? (I’ve read here that credit cards are nearly impossible to get.)

I don’t know how hard it is for foreigners to get this card or any credit card. I am a longtimer and my wife got it for us. I have a “fu ka” (spouses card). I have my own Gold card from Chinatrust, but I can’t remember if my wife (girlfriend at the time) sponsored me or not as it was a long time ago. You should do a search on credit cards as I am sure this has been discussed before. Anyway, she already had a Platinum card from the partner bank that was doing the card, Union Bank of Taiwan, so to the get the Breeze one was a formality. I have heard once you get one credit card here, others are easy to get. Likewise if you have a Platinum from one bank you can get one easily from another.

By the way, I vaguely remember that the discount might only be 5% off from some of the stores. Will check the details if anyone is interested.

EDIT-Whoops.
Nevermind.
I was confused. :blush:

Found this thread from 2003, and guess what? Breeze is in better shape then ever. :thumbsup: (what can not be said from others already closed or soon to be closed)

Breeze is simply my favorite non-Xinyi feel good shopping spot

I do find it one of the better “premium to up-scale” shopping malls, still having other things aside LV, Prada and Co.
Just spotted this morning that around 10 new flagship stores will open their doors soon, so worth checking out in May.
Thus also after 5 years on the rock, Breeze supermarket is almost as good as City Super when it comes to delicacies shopping :lick:

oh yes, do not forget the “VIP” offers on the 3rd floor each month. Last month was Ed Hardy with cue’s lining up as they had -60 % offers.
Currently they have YSL.

Funny I just had a nice leisurely shopping experience at Breeze this afternoon. I usually just duck in downstairs and pick up good whole wheat bread at Mayson Kaiser and then hit the grocery store for a couple of hard to find items and duck back out.

Well this afternoon I noticed there were some items on sale in the grocery store which I have never seen them do before, good prices on some things (I would say which but I fear incurring the judgmental wrath of a certain poster.) Look for a thick red line over the price card of the item.

This week I needed to pick up some greeting cards so I headed upstairs to the Kinokuniya book store. I had forgotten they have a nice, if not really extensive, selection of good books in English. Found a couple of good cards too and inexpensive.

Since I was up there I went up another floor to a households goods shop the name of which I can’t exactly remember but something like Tagalon. They have some good kitchen stuff and other items you don’t see everywhere.

Finally hit the top level where the movie theatre is. There is a Rose records there, of which there are fewer and fewer in Taipei thanks to illegal music downloading. They had a DVD sale going on outside the shop. Also a Vietnamese restaurant that looked attractive and not expensive. I wasn’t hungry at the time but must go back and try it.

Anyway, Breeze Center has a lot of nice offerings other than high end designer clothing.

I’ve recently been shopping there a lot and can highly recommend the following three specialties at the supermarket:

1. Antipasto - they have a bowl of rotini pasta with tuna, olives, olive oil, and cherry tomatoes, it’s like cocaine, buy scopps for like 52NT for 100g

2. Tuna tartare maki - 6 rolls of diced tuna “tartare” with sliced scallions, in the sushii section, instead of the slices of tuna running through the middle of the rolls. they pile the chopped raw tuna on the top part of each roll, and rice int he bottom half, with a dollop of wasabi - they load that bad boy up, there’s a ton of tuna in there, enough to make 6 more rolls, it was NT 180 so not cheap but it’ll fill you up and the quality is tres bon, better than City Super I’ve found

3. “Cajun Andouille” sausage - they come in packs of two, they’ll grill one and make a sausage sandwich for NT60 I think with sauerkraut and shitty mustard if you want, but you can get them uncooked in packs of 2 for about NT 120, they have a great taste, slightly spicy but well-flavored - in the US you wouldn’t call 'em Cajun but they’re tasty nonetheless

Also that’s where we picked up our Easiyo yogurt maker and our yogurt starter pouches, which we can’t get enough of (boysenberry seems to be the best flavor)

One small downside compared to City Super is they don’t slice as many of their cheeses, so if you buy decent cheeses for sandwiches, you might be better of going to City Super

Or you pick up a cheese slicer in CitySuper and slice your own cheese, it’s really not that hard…

I also noticed Breeze Super carried Greek yoghurt a while back, not sure if they still have it, but it’s the only place I’ve seen that stocks it here. Might have to pick some up next time and see if I can use it as a starter for my own…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Or you pick up a cheese slicer in CitySuper and slice your own cheese, it’s really not that hard…

I also noticed Breeze Super carried Greek yoghurt a while back, not sure if they still have it, but it’s the only place I’ve seen that stocks it here. Might have to pick some up next time and see if I can use it as a starter for my own…[/quote]

Just it still pisses me off how overpriced the cheese is here, so for what I’m paying, I want it sliced and separated by those little plastic separators dammit - I got 5 slices of Havarti Dill for almost 300 NT, they better damn well slice the fucker for me

But yeah, I’ve got a big ol’ brick of the Pepper Jack from Costco that I use the slicer on when I run out of the higher quality stuff

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Or you pick up a cheese slicer in CitySuper and slice your own cheese, it’s really not that hard…

[/quote]

I have one of these slicers … old, but good and trusted for slicing hard cheeses like Gouda …

Because I have to slice one of these …

:laughing:

Aw man that’s beautiful. A friend of mine went out of business last year and was selling his, but I don’t really have the room for one, and he wanted like 10,000 for it. I thought you have some kind of food store or something? Do you buy the whole wheel at Breeze too, or do you go through a distributor?

I normally use something like this

Works on most types of cheese apart from really soft stuff.

Costco sells Havarti, but not with dill, although it comes pre-sliced with little bits of paper in-between every slice.

The Finnish Muenster cheese they have is also really good and cheap at less than NT$300 per pack which is 900 something grams…

You know what, I’m gonna give that Muenster a try, thanks!

Sory 'bout the grave dig. But I’ve got a few good cheeses (?) at home right now…What do I do with the Brie? Give it to the kids with some fruit (it’s grape season here) or does it go well with breads?? I don’t like cracker and cheese…too much salt. And the weather here is rapidly warming up so I won’t be able to keep it long…for now it’s in the chiller tray of the fridge.Thanks.

Bread’s is good. Grapes is good. Keeping in the chiller is BAD! Leave it out, covered, until it goes soft and runny.

Okay but it’s 36 degrees over here. Thanks.

I like their bookstore.