Brexit

Had those pasties actually. Uncle in Worcester gave them to me. I hate the ones with kindey fat or something but the others are all delicious. Oh, back in the days when an aunt in Warwickshire made some sweet pudding. Oh my…
BTW, me having all those English connections (I am one of the few Germans who know how to pronounce Worcester correctly and am constantly in a fight with the other 80 millions about it - they never believe the chester/cester explanation) was also thinking Brexit might work nicely. Kinda like reviving the Commenwealth and stuff. Well, now it’s all such a mess and I hope we don’t get estranged again.
Looking forward to my visit in June. Hope my aged uncle is still hitting the pubs, buying me a pint or so :wink:

2 Likes

I never got it in Taiwan (I have a strong stomach, comes from traveling in India I guess), but my brother’s wife got it really bad when they visited. My brother now sees Taiwan in much the same way that I see India!

2 Likes

I had horrific food poisoning twice in the first three years.

Now I have an iron stomach and rarely get felled even though I often eat locally around SE Asia.

It’s really about the bugs (microbiota) in your intestine. Fascinating stuff if you look into it.
Your microbiota composition will radically change after a few years of living in a subtropical country.

That said I will avoid fresh salads, drinks and fruit in some establishments !

2 Likes

I don’t think anybody is asserting that Britain single-handedly saved Europe. However, your view of history lacks sophistication. The war was fought on many fronts, by many players, all with their own agendas. Of course we were saving our own ass. Broadly speaking, people aren’t keen to fight wars unless national survival is at stake.

Nobody saved Western Europe, for the simple reason that the war never really ended. Germany and Japan were defeated, but everybody else either got tired of fighting, or started their own sideshows as soon as the main event finished. WW2 rumbled on for another 40 years, plus or minus.

Enough of what exactly? Ultimately, Germany was partitioned because it lost a war that Germany started. It got off pretty lightly compared to the arrangements after WW1. To give them credit, they bounced back bigger and stronger - mostly because they recognised that the screw-up was theirs, and went about fixing what was wrong. Whatever the present arguments between the politicians, I think most Brits (and most Europeans generally) view modern Germany with respect.

I think you mean history is written by the victors. That statement in itself implies that the UK won something, doesn’t it?

As for revelling in the glory days: I don’t think anyone is under any illusions there. You seem to be reading your own narrative into this conversation. All I’m suggesting is that Britain was considerably more competent in 1940 than it was today. The UK did, for example, contribute a lot of brainpower to various wartime innovations, including radar, codebreaking, and the Manhattan Project.

There’s some truth in that, but I don’t understand why you say “Brexit shows everything what is wrong about with west”. Are you referring to Britain’s desire to exit (and complete inability to do so), or Europe’s petulant reaction?

2 Likes

I hope you have a great time. And it was an interesting post ! Many good wishes

This is pretty funny

This is hilarious.

‘May is buying the EU some extra time’

Delusional stuff from the BBC to be honest.

BBC News - Brexit: EU wins itself some breathing space

Well I think they probably need some breathing space between the laughs alright. its hard to get these last couple of days.

The petition to stop Brexit reached 3 million already. Unprecedented.

1 Like

Does that override the 17.4 Million People who voted Leave ?

2 Likes

here are your masters but not ours for much longer
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6838635/Smiling-European-leaders-congratulate-flies-home-humiliating-negotiations.html

Two different things.

Dailymail knows how to wind people up and get clicks and shares.

Those EU leaders…SMILING!

Exactly, it’s not like there is a petition to leave as well we already had a referendum

and yet they want another Referendum ? Can’t have it both ways

Countries have referendums all the time. People change their minds.

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Watch the petition numbers explode…
Disunited Kingdom.

Perhaps those 3 million should have used their vote when it mattered .

2 Likes

Well if 11 in 45 years is ,"all the time " , maybe.