Brexit

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

1 Like

He has some good lines, thats undeniable.

But overall he is pretentious and tedious (in my opinion) and also he plagiarized or ‘translated’ some French poetry. This is where he found the “when you are old and grey and full of sleep” poem:

Quand vous serez bien vieille, au soir, à la chandelle,
Assise auprès du feu, dévidant et filant,
Direz, chantant mes vers, en vous émerveillant :
Ronsard me célébrait du temps que j’étais belle.

Lors, vous n’aurez servante oyant telle nouvelle,
Déjà sous le labeur à demi sommeillant,
Qui au bruit de mon nom ne s’aille réveillant,
Bénissant votre nom de louange immortelle.

Je serai sous la terre et fantôme sans os :
Par les ombres myrteux je prendrai mon repos :
Vous serez au foyer une vieille accroupie,

Regrettant mon amour et votre fier dédain.
Vivez, si m’en croyez, n’attendez à demain :
Cueillez dès aujourd’hui les roses de la vie.

Yes, you are right I think. His lover that influenced a lot of his works was Anglo Irish, that’s where I got confused although there are comparatively a lot of present day Irish around Dublin with that surname.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Caroline_Lamb

Geez I’m not going to argue with you over any grammar issues. You’ve until now just been sitting on the side lines watching a reenactment of the battle of the Boyne unfold with your cannons loaded but not fired. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Too many targets in @Brianjones’s posts and the multitude of opportunities is confusing me. So I am sitting it out

1 Like

Oh I don’t mind Brian , he makes good posts , there is just a little bit of ethnic friction there and emotion can take over from logic on both sides. If you were to metaphorically wipe out his forces then you wouldn’t be enjoying our little battle so much. :rofl:

2 Likes

FIFY :joy:

1 Like

Ok So @crusher wants me to fire. So what I will say is that I am actually a bit disappointed because I thought the @Brianjones was better than this.

Seriously though, I did actually think that you were better than that…

also Guinness, cheese, poems, something about a horse, leprachauns, your mom, etc etc

Also for the record I want to point out that the northern Irish pipe bands are way way better than the ROI ones, and in addition don’t wear the stupid fluffy hats that the Scottish ones do. So there. F*7K all y’all

This is actually really good though check it out

It is very unfortunate about the portaloos on the right. but other than that, yeap

by the way does anyone know what side of the divide they are on? becasue I am signing up on whatever side they happen to be on. Or maybe they are not on a side, I don’t know

1 Like

I think they are mainly made up of protestants but are not aggressively sectarian these days. When they started out likely strong unionist tendencies, but now more of a peace band. I thought this one was famous for being allowed to play in a catholic church in Ireland as a good will thing (although I maybe wrong). The flute bands tend to be more sectarian. The band conductor is so proud it’s great.

1 Like

Yea they rock. I know they are protestant non sectarian, but that’s like the point isnt it. People bang on about Ireland, Ireland this Ireland that, river dance blah blah Dirina Allen. but do they actually have something, these boys do.

1 Like

No because the media has nearly always painted a romantic “celtic” view of Ireland. In fact there are almost no celts left there anyway. Mostly the DNA between the English and Irish is indistiguishable. I think I get your point.
The video below is very sectarian. Nice tunes but not comparible to the one you put uphttps://youtu.be/SdrikesWBL4

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the embarrassing reality :neutral_face:

1 Like

I am feeling rather isolated , not being of Irish heritage :sleepy:
If there was ever to be an Irish exit from the EU, there is so much latent anger there , the name Ire-exit would be apt. :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

What i had in mind, is same as Brian told already. Nothing is really fundamentally wrong with EU. Is not a country, is a organization, connecting independent countries. It has democracy. What i miss in EU, is a debate about growth and investment plans. Countries should take more responsibilities. It is a feeling like west all really it does just talk and putting energy, focus in wrong direction.

Maybe Brits miss old days of fame, when they ruled over undeveloped/weak nations. EU is democracy, Brits could come in front and take leadership. But you refused it and you leave it to Germans. Pay the price.

Whole EU is united with brexit negotiating, is UK having troubles. What exactly you want ? EU rules of game without EU?

Do not remember when Britain was so divided.

No wonder, Gain becomes so bitter. It does not look good. First you paid tone of money to study worthless degree, live in tiny places next to Pakis. What is next, going back to Taiwan, working for 40k and live in your uncle place?

I have less objections to the EU as it was sold to everyone 40 years ago . Many people who criticize the Brexit voters , have no idea of how many times the British public have been lied to over the past 40 years. it may help to , at least , understand the “why”.
The British are fiercely independent and wary of too much control over their own destinies being removed. It’s a reasonable view .
When Ted Heath said that we would only join the EEC with the "Full-hearted consent of parliament and the people ", the vote passed by a mere 8 votes in Parliament.
He lied by failing to let us know that the Treaty of Brussels committed us to joining a single currency. He told us the Common Agricultural and Fisheries would have no adverse effect on us. Another lie.
Heath was well aware that the voters would have resisted membership if the truth was revealed too early , but as happens all to frequently, he thought that it would be fine if we were ignorant and things were introduced peace-meal, gradually.
Wilson was elected in the mid 70’s , in part, on a Manifesto promising a Referendum on Europe and to try and re-negotiate the expensive terms of Britain’s membership ( Not done , but fixed by Thatcher years later).

The June 1975 Referendum …haha. May I remind you of the promises made then? " There will be NO further sacrifices of sovereignty" Quote .
That promise was made , in spite of being in direct contravention to the Treaty of Rome agreement.
This lying and misleading the voters continued …even Thatcher in her early days, argued for the SEA ( single European Act ) to found a single Market within the EC. That Act stopped our veto on some crucial matters and opened the door to massive amounts of new regulations from Brussels.
They had to pass these changes by debating them late at night in Parliament to pass them …or forcing them through by Orders in Council .

Major was very nearly brought down by the Maastricht Treaty .He survived only by reassuring voters that he had secured an opt out from the Single Currency and Social Chapter parts.
People were worried about loss of sovereignty , but he promised that Britain would have a bigger “Influence” in the EU :joy: ( A fact so ludicrous if you see the record of success when the UK has challenged the EU …some 70 times guess the winning rate )
He told us not to worry , that with "subsidiarity ", the EU would only undertake actions that could not be done better at National or Regional levels …to PREVENT centralization.
Are you starting to see why we may not trust politicians about EU policies now ?

The Amsterdam Treaty , signed by Blair, just to “facilitate the smooth running of the EU” , in fact paved the way for the Superstate that we see today. It enabled the EU to formulate and dictate foreign policy , security, employment…but , as Robin Cook said …"Its ok , don’t worry we have a Veto ". Another thing that , by stealth was lost.
Whilst the dejected public could do no more than vote another party in , based on lies again , enter the Treaty of Nice.

Let’s increase the EU membership from 15 to 25 the EU said. But in order to do that , of course we will need enhanced powers given to ( the unelected) President and he will need a cabinet ( unelected ) to help formulate everything.
Hey …whilst we are at it …lets introduce Quality majority voting . Look it up .
A precis for those who don’t already know…which I presume would be many of the Remainers who seem to know sweet FA about the reality , as they have been conditioned to believe in the wonder of the EU

1. Lets kick out those pesky Brit Commisioners by 50%
    2.Let’s make our own EU Court of Auditors :thinking:
    3.Let’s take away 39 Veto options for individual member states
    other than Germany and France ,this reality ensures that individual members have a very diluted voice.
    Technically, a democracy …so no issue there then? We all know the reality .

In 2003 , when Peter Hain promised that, regarding the new “European Constitution”, it was merely a “tidying -up” exercise.
Hmmm , giving Brussels control of Foreign Defence matters, security policies, allowing it to intervene in most areas of Governmental activity .
It was proposed , wait for this one , that British Legislators would only be able to consider those matters allowed by Brussels !, enable centralized taxation systems, and infers that joining the Euro is a necessary part of this new constitution.
Oh but no need for a Referendum , no important issues to see here.
That only brings us up to 2003, for those that may be wondering why the Brits are appearing to be negative .
There is so much more that we have all been lied about ,but maybe you can better understand why some of us want to Leave, as opposed to just thinking that they are making a bad choice . There is no good choice.
Sorry for the length of that post . I had to plagiarize a fair bit to check facts.

1 Like

**[quote="shiadoa,
Sorry for the length of that post . I had to plagiarize a fair bit to check facts.
[/quote]

The length of the post was fine, it summed it up really well. Lots of the posts are where people clearly just want to bash while knowing nothing about the subject (that doesn’t mean posts I just don’t agree with). This post was the best one I’ve seen yet.

1 Like

Past history explains , in part , the reasoning that some older voters prefer to leave. They are well aware of the fact that it will be painful, but prefer a higher degree of self-governance.
Sadly , when you have such a high proportion of Media, MP’s, and a large EU mobilized to Remain, I guess it becomes impossible.
They all have too much to lose by the UK having a reasonable and fair exit deal…even @Brianjones accepts that fact . Parliament will be a "rubber stamp " facility …but MP’s will still get Pensions, good pay and benefits. Joe Public will continue to get a lousy Health Service , lousy Pension etc, whichever Party is in power.
Personally , had the original idea of an Economic Community been continued, I would have been more in favour, but the stealth plan to introduce a United States of Europe was underhand . It’s a crying shame that all the Economic benefits in Trade have to be paid for by agreeing to give up so much. There was no need to connect the Economics and Social issues so closely, other than those who wished to see this U.S.E
Whatever happens now , I doubt the Referendum result will be carried out.
Just wait for the dissent to die down a bit and patiently steer us back in to the EU by stealth after a few months/years.
By Law we should have left on the 29th , but they will just change the Law to suit the agenda of the day. That is why you see the protests to Remain being highlighted in the MSM. Leave voters are just dejected with the whole thing and the messing about …but perhaps that was the plan.
I don’t think anyone can inspire them to care anymore about politics . And that is a shame . Highlighting the fact that a Democratic vote has been ignored won’t make them them lose any sleep .

Celts were mostly a culture not a race, also there wasn’t just one kind of Celt and they spoke different languages (hence I can understand Scottish Gaelic but not Welsh) But it’s not true to say that people in Ireland or from Ireland aren’t distinguishable . The further West you go the earlier haplotypes you can find, which are indicators of the first wave of neolithic settlers after the ice age. If we are so mixed up how come a genetic map can pinpoint part of our faamily origin on a map within a few kms. That’s unheard of.

But yes I agree there were plenty of complex movements and migrations in ancient times. There were also some forced population replacement through the male line e.g. Saxons invasion of England.

By the way all those ancient stone circles , the dolmens and worshipping of the sun (Ireland has Newgrange, England Stonehenge, France has Carnac), those people were pre Celtic , we know very little about them. We don’t know ttheir language , we don’t even know their name. We haven’t given them a name in popular culture. Probably we have words and some stories left over from them somewhere . We do know what they looked like though because they were the early settlers who are genetically more similar to people in the West of Ireland and you can sequence their DNA.

1 Like

Would you like the people in the west to have their unique ancestry maintained or lost?

Maintained of course. But thats not easy with rapid change.

1 Like