Brexit

This one is good. It’s back story is the assassination of the UN Sec General at the time, it was covered up as an accident.

1 Like

I’ll let you know what I think :+1:

1 Like

Trying to do my Austin Powers routine

Maybe you can post a video of you doing it

Former colony, like India and others were former colonies of the Empire. But we probably still get diamonds and cobalt, copper from there.

1 Like

That was his private land, nothing to do with the Belgians. I had a few friends that were in the special forces, para troopers that went there and liberated the Belgians kept by Sergeant Mobutu.

But yes, stories like this are covering up all the misdeeds the Empire did to it’s colonies.

Leopold II was despised by Belgians by the time of his death. To the point that there were jeers at his funeral. This was due to his horrific behavior in the Congo, general profligacy, and hooking up with some French tart in his later years.

What then happened was a massive PR campaign to gloss over his terrible actions. He reminds me of a Prince Andrew type.

2 Likes

The world needs more awareness of modern-day Belgian imperialism! I had a friend who worked for a company owned by Societe-General, and he became obsessed by their evil spread.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s easy to underestimate a small country like Belgium , but they can be just as nasty as the British if not worse.
I know some of their soldiers are very hard core especially their parachute regiment. I know many not in the know may laugh at that but actually it’s true they have very tough airborne divisions or Paras as known in Britain or Belgium.

1 Like

The forest was shrinking but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Of course, it’s always about America:

2 Likes

Imminent? The Empire’s demise was 50 years ago.

Britain definitely is circling the drain, but it has little to do with Brexit. If the UK were a strong State, Brexit could work out just fine. Taiwan, after all, has no political allies at all yet still manages to chug along with only a handful of first-world problems.

But the UK is not a strong State. The average working-age Brit (and by extension, the people who run the country at a local level) is a neurotic, entitled, overweight, poorly-educated nitwit. You can’t build much of a country on that.

1 Like

And where are you from kind Sir ?
Japan does very well too, and who says Britain doesn’t have any allies ? Germany was an ally ? hmmm. Enjoy Merkel’s Germany we will soon be free of that mess and incidently Britain is roughly the 4th or 5th largest world economy hardly around the sewers. Now it will be far more efficient , not have to give billions and billions to the EU and is free from red tape.
Let’s do facts

1 Like

Who cares? Indian economy is as big as or slightly larger than UK. Wanna tell me Indians are living the good life?

Sure you won’t give money to the EU but you will also lose single market advantages. Medium and large businesses will definitely have to deal with more regulation now (both the UK’s and the EU’s).

Not saying Brexit will be disastrous but it’s not a sure thing either. Not worth the risks imo.

Who cares about facts ? I do.
GNP is high too. You are talking about services I guess not small manufacturing businesses.

Facts , you were comparing with India which scores about the same as the UK on GDP , a terrible comparison. But who cares !

From Blighty, squire. Every so often I go back there and watch the place get steadily shittier, in snapshots. It’s like watching a stop-motion animation with a year between frames.

You misunderstand me, I think. The prime anti-Brexit argument is that Britain will be left out of the party, the sad nerdy kid stuck in the kitchen picking at the leftovers, hoping a nerdy girl will come and talk to them. Poor little Britain.

As you said, there are plenty of countries that thrive outside of a … well, what is the EU exactly? It sure ain’t a co-operative enterprise. But whatever it is, it’s not crucial to success. What is crucial to success is being successful.

Because Britain is not independently successful, I suspect the vultures will move in and take over - as mentioned back there, British real estate is going dirt-cheap right now, and there are a lot of people with cash to spend. Britain could end up being a corporatocracy or a fiefdom run by rich kids. Um … I mean foreign rich kids. Not necessarily a bad thing, I guess, but a bit embarrassing all the same.

It’s scary how that can happen. It happens with friends too . :grin:
I call it time travelling myself . But it’s worse for me cos I’d go years without seeing places or friends.

1 Like

That would be a bad thing. European real estate however is already dominated by the Chinese and Russians. The revolt started in the North East so the Tories better remember that or they will get massacred just like Labour did at the next election.

1 Like