Brexit

6 Cornish people and 1,000,000 retired rich Londoners :rofl:
And probably even more now they cannot retire so easily in the Costa de la Crime.(Spain)

1 Like

There was the cornish uprising of 1497, started out as a protest march and went out of control, leaders were hung, and it was then followed amazingly by the second cornish uprising of 1497 led by a crown pretender

1 Like

You know your Celtic history!

1 Like

Will we end up back to just the Kingdom of Wessex :grinning:
King Alfred was an English remainer.
Have you seen “The Last Kingdom” on Netflix. I guess it is very inaccurate but it is addictive watching.

Helmut Kohl was a very famous statesman. I think you didn’t watch much news back then.

1 Like

I actually only knew about that cause I was reading about the history of Tyburn Gallows. All sorts of crazy little side histories associated with it

1 Like

I was too busy trying to lose my virginity :rofl:

2 Likes

So large gaps into the 90s too?

2 Likes

I cannot remember much about him, I remember Reagan bombing Libya, getting shot, war on drugs, central American wars. Thatcher I remember the posters on walls promoting her just before the election. Watching John Wayne movies, the Monkeys, Boney M , Bowie…but my memory starts to fade. His name rings a bell but just saying not like Thatcher or Reagan, or even Gerry Adams, Ian Paisley etc. We were just exposed to different news i guess.

1 Like

Two decades, i know, it was rough going back in the day :laughing:

2 Likes

I have never once claimed to be a @tommy525 on this site. Many things but not a smooth.operator ha ha

2 Likes

Tommy probably has very large rose tinted glasses at this stage though

1 Like

I always liked that the two greatest English legendary figures are Arthur, the Briton king who fought the evil Anglo-Saxon invaders, and Alfred, the Anglo-Saxon King who fought the evil Danish invaders.
Also, at one end of the street they have a statue to Charles I, the martyr-king who had his head cut off, and at the other end they have a statue of Oliver Cromwell, the man who cut it off.

2 Likes

All it needs is a statue of Charles II then.
Fine upstanding individuals all.

In 1661, the year after Charles II restored the monarchy, Cromwell was dug up, put on trial and hung from the famous gallows at Tyburn, then had his head chopped off! To send a message of the King’s power, Cromwell’s head was placed on a pike on the roof of Westminster Hall where it stayed for thirty years.

1 Like

Cromwell’s like American General Sherman. He was a great hero in the Civil War, but less appreciated by Indian tribes in the West.
Cromwell established parliamentary superiority, but certainly committed massacres in Ireland.

1 Like

He was a terrible bigot, basically NAZI level, resulting in genocide and famine in Ireland , and also known as being extremely dour and humourless.

1 Like

Cromwell had a weak son.

He was definitely a bigot, but no denying a very talented general.

Pretty much agree, maybe not quite on Nazi level more like Taliban level , but yeah close.

Cromwell was definitely not our finest hour. He didn’t even make much of a push for democracy other than by chance.

A lot of his beliefs could be considered progressive now. At least the puritanical, righteous, no-fun, not allowed to be debated ones.

1 Like