Brexit

And they wear their pants down low and listen to that godawful music- we listened to real music- and don’t wanna work or clean up their rooms or listen up to their elders like the old days.

-Plato (or was it Confucius? Moses? Anyway, any member of the older generation, ever).
“In my day we had big proper flint spears, not these silly little bows arrows you can’t hunt a proper mammoth with- and what’s with all these arty-farty cave paintings these days?”

2 Likes

If a boss increases the agreed-upon workload but not the pay that puts him in the wrong. Bottom line for me is a job is just an agreement and a boss doesn’t owe a worker any more than what’s agreed on and a worker doesn’t either.

2 Likes

Yep.

Do you agree that if a boss can’t find anyone good willing to work for what they are paying, then they are not paying enough?

Andrew is obviously smart and it is a shame he is going to take his business out the UK( bet he still sells there) but whenever he posts about not being able to find workers, it reminds me of my wife’s uncle who owns a cram school.

Americans are lazy. I can’t find anyone. No experienced teachers want hours.

How much do you pay?

600 an hour.

Increase it to 1000 and your will get people.

No way. Too much. Too greedy. Cram schools don’t make much. I think it is a good wage.

This is a guy who paid 2 million for his daughter in law’s engagement ring.

2 Likes

No. When I started my business here in Japan the yen was 105 to the USD. It’s 138 today. So there goes my original profit margin and then some. Raw materials have also almost doubled in cost in some key instances. Since I manufacture in Taiwan and sell in Japan I either have to significantly raise the cost of my product in Japan or lower the cost to make my product in Taiwan unless I’m willing to run my business as a charity. Market research has told me that, even though there’s strong interest in my product after successful test results, Japanese consumers aren’t willing to pay enough for my new product to allow me to make a profit under current circumstances so my only option is to cut production costs in Taiwan. Will that allow me to pay the original minimum 500 NT per hour labor rate that I budgeted for in Taiwan? The math says no. Point being that there’s a lot more to running a successful business than many people seem to understand.

You want to make money, so you will cut what you are willing to pay in wages. So now that you are going to pay less, you will have to accept less able workers.

2 Likes

Everyone gets it. Boss smart. Worker stupid.

The problem is that when margins are tight, business owners want to pay less and when people don’t want to work for them, it is because they are lazy.

Should they work for less than they get elsewhere?

Which comes back to the point.

If you can’t get capable workers, it is because the pay/conditions are not good enough.

As far as your product is concerned and the Japanese not being willing to spend so much, that sounds like a miscalculation on your part and of course it affects what you can pay in wages. If you still get workers, then what you pay is enough. If you can’t then obviously it isn’t enough.

1 Like

What everyone seems to “get” is ‘boss greedy, worker victim of boss.’

You’re right, of course, that you get what you pay for and that includes labor. What I’m objecting to is the facile notion that a business owner just needs to stop being greedy and choose to pay enough and he’ll get good labor. More often than not the market chooses how much he can pay to produce a particular commodity within a fairly small range and it’s not a matter of greed.

We are in complete agreement. I think we are talking past each other. The boss should try to pay as little as possible and the worker should try to get as much as possible. Hopefully they meet in the middle.

I’m not arguing that the boss shouldn’t make money. I’m just saying that if you can’t get workers or the ones you can get are shit, there is only one thing to do. If the business can’t absorb the extra cost, then move somewhere with cheaper workers, not bitch about the ones available.

Bosses making money isn’t the problem. Moaning about workers trying to do the same is.

1 Like

I think you made the mistake of setting up shop in the rat’s arse of the Home counties. The North, including Yorkshire, are pretty nice. Harrogate, York, Ilkley, Northern suburbs of Leeds/Bradford such as Horsforth or Saltaire etc. are nice, affluent and relatively cheap. Are there chavs? Sure, in pockets, but go to any Walmart in Canada and the US? :smile: :smile: :joy:

Contradicting yourself here. Surely being in the EU means you can much more easily get EU workers? And other companies have similar problems:

I’m talking about the problems of the UK there. Neither being in or out is really really the root cause of the problem the brexit and anti brexit crowd want us to believe.

I pay way above the market wage. There is not a single person making min wage on my staff even if it is a min wage job in reality.

Literally doesn’t matter for some of them. Some of them literally believe coming out of uni a £2100 monthly wage with £300 cost of train travel covered for social media is the norm. Got rid of her due to being lazy and last I heard she’s still looking.

You give them an opportunity and they don’t understand it.

But right now our core staff is on point. They know this is a solid job with good pay and work their asses off. Just had to get rid of a lot of lazy entitled people who really think it just get handed to them.

1 Like

Being an employee trying to max out their monthly income isn’t that different to an employer trying to max out their profits.

I’m struggling to see the contradiction here. One is bad but the other is good? Why?

Who said this?

That’s a good point, sir. I misread the thread.

Yeah, employers trying to maximise profits and employees trying to maximise salary are both good

1 Like

Fixed it for me.

Happy you found some good workers.

:upside_down_face:

twitter.com/teach_the_past/status/1550280175211913216/photo

Those layabouts have been cadging off their good hard-working bosses longer than we think- it goes at least all the way back to 1894, and probably longer.

British people now realising the freedom of movement they gave up was their own freedom of movement D’oh!

1 Like