Brexit

Except for the 800,000 people who work in that industry. Sure.

1 Like

Brexit was misrepresented as anti-immigrant rather than anti open borders.

1 Like

Brexit has increased immigration enormously, something like by a factor of 8, which is pretty funny really when thinking of those racists who voted for Brexit to kick foreigners out. The home office currently be giving them visas out like candy.

I say we are still better off out of Europe, in the long run. The war in Ukraine and the resulting greedflation by supermarket chains doesn’t help things at the moment. The absolute fantasy, for many, that is ‘long Covid,’ also provides shelter for the five million dossers who refuse to work even though they are part of the working economy.

We are making and selling more cars, which is as good sign for us. UK new car production grew for third month running in April as exports drive rising volumes – Car Dealer Magazine

And those weasels in Europe have had to admit that their doom spreading about the growth of the UK economy was all wrong.

And we’ve currently got more nurses in the NHS than ever before. (Although the selling off of the NHS is still going on)

Some train services are being nationalised again.

I earn a very decent wage as a handyman and a social care worker. Both mostly unskilled jobs. Wasn’t all that hard in the end to get work. Jobs are there if you hunt for them. Food can be bought cheaply if you put in some effort.

Signs of growth and improvement are there. But that doesn’t appease the chattering monkey mind of the media who want to piss on everything.

Hehe do you include me in that. :).
Northern Ireland is still messed up, hand it over to us and we will sort it out.
On second thoughts don’t because we need a cheap bolthole still and who needs the DUP.

The whole Lord Frost thing is ridiculous from the outside. Such a class ridden society.
.Lordly lordy…hahaha.

Not at all. I was careful to add the word media at the end to distance you from my blatherings. :hugs:

England doesn’t want to devolve those powers. We absolutely should hand back control to you though, in my opinion.

1 Like

Eirexit is unfinished business that should have happened long ago.

1 Like

Interesting combo.
The Caring Handyman.

Or the handy carer

‘Mandatory solidarity,’ demanded across the EU states to tackle asylum shopping. A mooted £17k per head to be paid by member states refusing to take in immigrants. Italy are both actively repelling immigrants because there are too many coming in, while encouraging their own citizens to hump each other like crazy due to a dwindling population.

F@ck all that noise.

1 Like

Had to google eumao after seeing it on another thread - @QuaSaShao is this where the term was coined? It’s wonderful!!

Yes.

While I fundamentally agree with Brexit if the British desire back their sovereignty. I think the major miscalculation the Brits had were overestimating their ability. While there are top talents in the UK i personally don’t believe there’s enough of it.

And it’s going to be an issue if the young people in the UK are incompetent.

A shocking 30% of students are dropping out of university. The government believes it’s due to the standards of grading being lowered allowing less talented students to enter into schools they are able to actually handle.

If the UK is serious about being a powerful sovereign nation again, they need to get the younger generation ready or it’s going to be generations of pain.

They should rejoin the EU but we call it something else for them, EMEA special buddy or whatever…Brexit was a fools errand , place has been accelerating backwards since before the vote as investors first put their investments on hold and then they fled the place. Car industry has been decimated exactly as I predicted.

Meanwhile they were promised all sorts of golden uplands but have ended up with significantly higher taxes and stagnating wages instead. Boris was never going to employ you in Macclesfield he is too busy dealing with the newts and his pool in the home counties.

Nobody will even fund the commonwealth games…delusions of grandeur are shattered now.

What does 'powerful sovereign nation ’ mean?
It is a complete lie to say the Uk was not a sovereign nation whilst in the EU, it was one of the core members of the EU and could absolutely guide its rules and its structure and in fact had many opt outs from various EU policies and programs.

Is Russia a powerful sovereign nation? Or Canada? What about Germany or Poland or France?

The UK has a terrible class ridden society that the masses have bought into to their own cost…the upper middle class and upper class all send their kids to private schools and they let the underfunded public system get worse and worse from accounts that I have heard.

They gave up parts of their sovereignty as EU laws supersedes national laws. It’s frustrating even for Germany who wanted to decriminalize cannabis nationally but EU said no because cannabis is illegal under EU laws.

A powerful sovereign nation in my mind would not allow EU laws to supersede their own and would not participate in something as undemocratic as the EU. As much as people joked that the Brits most googled topic is what is the EU, this shows me the lack of efficacy of the EU if citizens of its member state do not even understand it.

A powerful sovereign nation would have industries that lead, have economic influence, and a strong military. Basically what they were before. The UK isn’t on that path.

1 Like

They can’t be what they were before, they lost their empire 70 years ago. The world has changed mightily.

The EU allowed them to make up for the loss of empire by having have a strong economic hinterland from which they could attract a lot of investments and sell many services…now they got… …Brtiain…a small island in the North west of Europe.

How is the small island in North west Europe going to be a successful economic entity without being close to the EU (pretty much all its neighbouring countries) in some form or another???

How???

Small countries, and especially small and self isolating countries by definition simply won’t be ‘powerful’.

As for the sovereignty argument, as I said it’s definitely not true they ’ gave it up’, for instance their defense policy was based on their own decisions as are all European countries (very much based on NATO for the UK) and they could adopt their own foreign policy. They didn’t adopt the Euro. They didn’t join Schengen. And none of those were exclusive decisions to UK either.

final point I want to make, anybody can put a flag on a hill and say I’m the sovereign of this place but it means jack shit if your neighbours don’t like you and don’t want to cooperate and trade and ally with you or what is a more apt description, you with them.

1 Like

Sure, not the same but they can definitely be stronger in the modern context.

Switzerland doesn’t exist?

EU is acts bitter and makes them look worse in my eyes. Redoing their entire import system just after brexit to make it more difficult for the UK was a petty example I’ve had to deal with. They say it’s for everyone, while true, the timing wasn’t a coincidence.

Hopefully once the bitterness subsides, the UK should absolutely look to individual member states to work with.

So EU laws did not supersede UK laws? Yes or no?

If you actually answer this with yea, then by definition they did give up some of their sovereignty.

And why don’t they like the UK? Because they left? It’s just more bitterness like an angry ex. It’s not like the UK was threatening them with military conflict. Let’s put that into perspective. It’s just petty EU drama.

2 Likes

I don’t feel like digging out all the links to point out your many errors in this post.

I told you already countries in the EU control their own defense and foreign policy. Why do you claim otherwise?

Switzerland has many very close arrangements, bilateral agreements, with the EU . UK’S situation is nothing like Switzerland.

The 1972 Free Trade Agreement laid the foundation for Swiss–EU relations, which are now regulated by over 100 bilateral agreements. Switzerland is a reliable and committed partner for the EU, its member states and for the EEA and EFTA states .

Citizens of Schengen countries can also move to Switzerland without a visa but have to apply for a residence permit for stays exceeding three months . There are no restrictions on how many EU/EFTA/Schengen citizens can immigrate to Switzerland and obtain a residence permit annually.

In return for its partial integration in the EU’s single market, Switzerland pays a financial contribution to economic and social cohesion in the EU Membe

Bern said it was authorising diplomats to prepare a formal negotiating mandate to reopen talks this summer on a deal that could stabilise trading ties in exchange for concessions on Swiss sovereignty.

99% of Europeans dont care about Brexit or what’s happening in the UK…They aren’t angry or interested in their decline or success.
The bitterness thing is just dailymail nonsense…

1 Like

I never said the UK didn’t. Quote me.

Your main defense is a bad straw man of what I’m saying so maybe focus on your own points.

I also knew you wouldn’t answer. If you would like to answer the below in good faith, if not, i guess we are done as you’re not trying to engage with good faith.

Sure, why can’t the UK do the same. It’s completely bizarre to me that EU supporters don’t even want to try to work with the UK post brexit that benefits both sides.

BS.

I see it on the news in Italy and when I was in Portugal. And people ask me all the time about business post brexit. I’m not going to say all of them or throw out some random 99% like you. But it’s absolutely something many people have thought about. The UK was a big deal in the EU and to say 99% of Europeans don’t care is absurd.

No its really not a top 10 topic at all…are you joking?
They only mention it to you because you tell them you moved there or worked there or had a business there.

Even in Ireland which is the only country that shares a land border nobody much gives a shit anymore. Focus in Ireland has very much moved away from UK to 99% internal challenges and then trade and political relationships with the EU and the US.
If folks think of UK its Love Island and the Premiership. Not Brexit!!!

I just engage here occasionally now because I dont like lies being repeated about things like defense policies etc and dailymail bitterness bullshit.

Oh yeah? 99% right? Give me a break. Leaving the EU was absolutely a big deal. Did I claim it’s a top 10 at this moment issue? Nope. But to say 99% of people don’t care is absurd.

Again, quote me. Never said this.

It sounds like you just wanted to say this and put it on me. When I’ve never said this. When I told you to back off of this point or back it up, you continued it. Why?