Brexit

No she didn’t. People with refugees status are are not able to avail of free movement in the EU.

1 Like

The thing is the EU already allowed states to restrict internal welfare tourism.

Free movement of labour isn’t a big issue in most EU countries and it only became an ‘issue’ in the UK relatively recently.

It’s been an issue for a while and obviously is an issue amongst member States. Hence the rise of a far right across Europe taking advantage of an obvious issue for political gains.

It is an issue in the UK and apart for those on the fringes of the labor party, the whole country was roughly in agreement. The question was whether it was enough of a problem to leave

Really?

That is free movement within each member state, not within the EU.

Did you actualy read the article?

1 Like

No, obviously not.

2 Likes

But people in Europe don’t want a united states of Europe run from Brussels. People want their own local identity and culture , plus a trading block with other member States.

Along the borders of Europe it is the EU that allows people to have their own local identity and culture. Just saying

1 Like

The whole country was roughly in agreement .

Hate to see a disagreement then :slight_smile:

Regarding?

This is an interesting town, Baarle-Hertog, it is an enclave of Belgium in the Netherlands which has in turn enclaves of the Netherlands within it.

svg

And the thing about it is that this is not weird at all, this is actually the normal exception if people were allowed to be who they actually are.

Just saying what though? It’s a pithy statement without much substance.

People want some Europe but not total Europe. The question is the balance. Those who claim a European identity foremost are the winners of globalization and see themselves as existing as global citizens. Those who are not winning identify more with the nation state, and these are the people who make up the majority

Just saying that local identities that span EU borders depend on the EU. It has plenty of substance. Ask any person who lives on a border in the EU.

Sure, don’t disagree with that. That wasn’t my point.

Yea I am not disputing your point about the banking and the Mandarins and all that. I agree. However I don’t think it is wise to throw the baby out with the bath water.

In addition is the devil you know, versus the devil you don’t know factor

1 Like

I don’t want to. Europe is great, the EU is a great idea and should suceed, but needs reform. I don’t think UK should leave EU, but understand why people were not happy with the situation

2 Likes

I don’t know a single person who actually thinks it’s in Britain’s long-term advantage to leave Europe, but the behavior of the people who run the show is so toxic that it nevertheless appears to be a rational decision. Their peevishness at negotiations merely reinforces the need to walk away, despite the fact that it’s a lose-lose scenario.

1 Like

Remaining in the EEA means that the UK would still be open to freedom of movement, which is basically what the Brexit referendum was about. If the UK leaves the EU yet remains in the EEA, all EEA citizens can still work and live in the UK and vice versa, then why leave the EU?

What the UK wants is to be treated like Canada, which is not going to happen as Brussels has all the leverage.

I thought the EU referendum was about the NHS?
Or was it the ability to pursue free trade ?
Take back sovereignity?
Freedom of movement ?
Creeping European superstate with army ?

Seems like the voters weren’t asked what exactly they wanted beyond being out of the EU.

Really don’t understand why voters don’t get a chance to say what they are actually for now that the positions are a lot clearer.