Brexit

Well we will see if they continue to feel like losers then. I think a lot of the voters were actually pensioners. Not sure what they were losing. A good number of people just vote to say FU to the govt.
Should have another vote on what they want going forward. Then we will see if democracy is respected lol.

Brian Jones, I respect your opinions and you said you lived in the UK before. However you are not British and show a very poor understanding of the dynamics of modern British society and class system. I don’t think your contributions to this conversation are that valuable

Hardly anyone is pushing your narrative of the dopey proles being brainwashed by the right wing press and the brexiteers anymore. Most in Britain have gone through a period of soul searching to understand how this happened. We have a real schism in the UK and I know of more than a few people who saw their income decrease. In the long term, unfettered immigration is unworkable in the UK. It has nothing to do with xenophobia

1 Like

Because I don’t agree with you and not British…So I’m wrong. Good debating there OO!
Have worked for British companies and with British people for many years .
The issues with immigration are varied and not just related to EU migrants obviously. The UK could have implemented a lot of other measures to limit EU immigration but it didn’t, now it’s all ‘EUs fault this, EUs fault that’ after austerity was implemented by the SAME Tory government that is power now.
Ireland had FAR more severe austerity programs but never pinned it on foreigners. There’s no equivalent of little Englander tabloid press in Ireland.
It’s a real joke to be honest, a bad joke especially when a lot of UK prosperity depends on EU single market membership .

There’s a lot of retroactive thinking here, even Vote Leave campaign head has said that it was the NHS promise of 350 million GBP which really swung the vote and not the anti free movement folks like Farage. That’s the guy who had the best stats on what motivated voters.

Thought experiment :
Imagine if Remain had won by one or two per cent , would you think it justified to baldly state that most voters had no problem with Freedom of Movement ?

Unless you actually put the different options to people how will you know what they want in the future ? Voters were told it was going to be easy by David David and Gove and Johnson, Germany and UK would negotiate directly because Germany wanted to sell BMWs, the NHS was going to get an instant 350 million a week extra…So so easy.

People were voting on the basis of these lies .

Turkey is joining the EU and Britain’s new border is with Syria and Iraq!
EU immigrants are suckng the NHS dry and we can take back control! (instead of keeping it running )
350 million GBP extra to the NHS every week !

1 Like

Looks like Labour wants to see what the people meant by Brexit.

Yes and part of the UK is also ‘not British’. If UK politicians actually took a moment to remember that their own dangly bits actually existed they would be less likely to get them caught in the door. :wink:

1 Like

Nothing to do with the EU.

What ?

Yeah it was that simple. Definitely haven’t taken the narrative from broad sheet newspapers two years ago and missed a pile of context and intricacies.

Thicko racist Brits were swayed by the right wing press and Farage. They don’t have agency. Now they are going to get their just desserts. Nothing more than that

After attacking me for having an opinion but not being a Brit you now are putting words in my mouth.

Doesn’t work, they aren’t my words.
What I actually said is that Farage was not helpful in winning the election according to the leader of the Vote Leave online campaign !
Farage turned off a lot of middle class types according to vote leave metrics.

It was another lie, the 350 million GBP per week for NHS, that really got them over the line. That’s because it reached across all sectors of the population.

No.

I’m saying that its hard for Brits to value your opinions if you are ignoring the myriad causes that led to brexit.

For me as an educated, white collar type,i understand the macro benefits of us staying in the EU. It’s better for me. At the same time, I sympathize with those who voted to leave. It was the wrong decision, but the UK is a complicated and divided country. It’s not the US or Ireland and comparisons are not that valuable.

You seem to think the EU is fantastic. I don’t, but wouldn’t have voted to throw the bathwater out with the baby. I can’t stand the EU mandarins, they are ideological, power crazy neoliberals and everything wrong with the project. They could have made an accommodation but chose not to.

I have a friend who works in the Brexit transition unit. He said that individual member states have been losing patience with the EU for going so hard on the UK. The edict is that the member states are not supposed to directly deal with the UK, but many have been secretly.

How do you know this ?

Says Dominic Cummings …Read the Spectator article.

How does he know ? Why is his argument particularly valid ? Why listen to him and not the David Goodhart piece I mentioned? How can you be so definitive about something so complex? Of course Cummings would blow his own trumpet.

The factors he talks about of course had influence. But the brexiteers only took advantage of existing issues for their own political gain.

Well he’s the one that was running the online campaign for Vote Leave which proved very effective . They were adapting their messaging constantly .

Just that you need to debate this proves that theres no surety of why people voted for Brexit…

Not that I personally care too much at this stage not being British but I don’t like Just So stories…The result was because …So and So…

If it was for So and So have a vote for So and So. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t disagree with that statement. But brexit doesnt solve it. It just concentrates that power in the hands of the local crazy power hungry neoliberals. Didn’t the Tories pretty much invent neoliberalisim…

Exactly. It’s a complex issue that we are still coming to terms with. Globalization isn’t fulfilling the needs of the many, it’s only benefitting the few. Similar reasons to why Trump got elected.

I don’t disagree. Brexit is a total mess and I blame Cameron the most for holding such a badly planned referendum.

The whole political class is a joke.

1 Like

Globalization has been incredibly successful at moving 100s of millions out of poverty in China at a rapid rate.
There are also losers too, but overall it would seem there are a lot more winners than losers !

In the end there are much bigger problems such as climate change and over population.

Sure, to you there are. Because you are an anywhere. It’s not working for working classes in the north of the UK or the Rustbelt in the States. These people need to have a voice