"Bring Granny a Cookie" WTF?

It really grinds my sac when I hear people saying things like “Tell Mommy what you did at school”, or “Bring Granny a cookie”, or “Show Uncle Jimi your etchings”.
Why the fuck do people speak to kids like that? Are children going to break out in smallpox and scabies if we use the words “me” and “I”?

[quote=“jimipresley”]It really grinds my sac when I hear people saying things like “Tell Mommy what you did at school”, or “Bring Granny a cookie”, or “Show Uncle Jimi your etchings”.
Why the fuck do people speak to kids like that? Are children going to break out in smallpox and scabies if we use the words “me” and “I”?[/quote]
It’s simple really. Kids need to know what to call people. Unfortunately, my daughter doesn’t always get it right - she’s taken to calling her mom “Vanessa”, because that’s what she hears me call her. We’re traditional in that we still want our kids to call us mom and dad, and not by our first names. So, I’m going to have to reinforce the “mommy” label with my daughter.

Just avoid children/parents! Easy.

I loathe public narrators. It’s important to talk to your child. However, it is supremely rude to point out all visual and aural information in the entire biosphere to your child/the whole of a train carriage. Your child will not become more intelligent and polite as a result…

‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’
‘Look, a sheep!’

Valid point, Mr Maoman. However, I see this situation with older kids, too. My nieces are young teens, and their parents and grandparents still use the same terminology. “Give Grandpa a kiss”, “Bring Daddy a beer”, etc. Surely it embarrasses the hell out of them?
Fer Chrissakes, I’m 44 years old and my Dad, bless him, still refers to my mother as “Mommy”, even though I haven’t called her that since I was 5.

You know, we don’t really need to hear about your sac-grinding fetishes, jimi. :stuck_out_tongue:

For some, “Who’s your daddy?” and “Come to momma!” can be equally awkward and problematic.