Bringin my cat to England

Thanks for the info, Stray Dog. They are Animals Taiwan cats, but I already called the manufacturer and got some ISO chips. Doesn’t say anything about which standard they are. Oh well. At least it is another thing to cross off my list.
Sure wishing I’d done all this back in August like you first suggested. Always too busy. It’s the Taiwan way.
Anyway, my next question is: do I need to pay the $1000 per cat to have the chip registered with the Taiwan government? I think not, because all DEFRA seems to want is that the chip number matches with the number on the pet’s documents. That will save $2000.

I had my cat chipped by the vet in Tienmu.

Haven’t got a clue what the brand is.

It has 10 digits.

So I guess to be safe I will have to purchase a scanner when I return with it to the UK.

How much are scanners?

If I put one of the 15 digit chips into it, I’ll have to go through the blood test rigmarole all over again which costs around 6000NT I take it?

I am about to chip another cat. It looks like I should purchase a 15 digit chip that is used in the UK?

If you got your cat chipped at Yang Ming Shan vet clinic (02) 2872-6911 in TianMu, you should be ok. He has experience with sending cats to England. Talk to him about it before buying a scanner or doing another chip.

Yes, $6000 per cat for the blood tests.

The vet near my house in Banqiao said scanners go for $10,000 :astonished: which seems outrageous to me.

[quote=“kage”]Thanks for the info, Stray Dog. They are Animals Taiwan cats, but I already called the manufacturer and got some ISO chips. Doesn’t say anything about which standard they are. Oh well. At least it is another thing to cross off my list.
Sure wishing I’d done all this back in August like you first suggested. Always too busy. It’s the Taiwan way.
Anyway, my next question is: do I need to pay the $1000 per cat to have the chip registered with the Taiwan government? I think not, because all DEFRA seems to want is that the chip number matches with the number on the pet’s documents. That will save $2000.[/quote]

I went to the vet in Tien Mu and now the chips are provided by the Taiwanese government.
The chips are the ISO 15 digit ones used in the UK. You pay 250 NT to have the animal registered with the government.
Note: he doesn’t always have a supply of those chips, so it would be worth calling to make sure he has them in.

The AVID chip he put in my other cat (1.5 years ago - before the Taiwanese government got involved in the chipping of animals) is OK for the UK he said.
I paid 250 to have that one registered with the government, even though it wasn’t really necessary.