Bringing a dog to Taiwan for a short amount of time?

My parents are moving back to Taiwan to look after my grandmother, and I have to go to Taiwan around May-June '09 for a business trip for around 2-3 weeks.

I would like to bring my dog with me, mainly cause my parents are quite attached to him, and I love to take him wherever I go.

questions being, how complex is such process? the dog is well taken care of and I’m a friend of my vet, I’ve asked the local Taipei Economic Office and they can’t give me a sure answer. They did mention something regarding the dog wouldn’t have to be quaranteen if the dog has all tests done prior entry.

anyone with related experience?

From Ontario? A trans-Pacific flight is bad enough in the passenger compartment, never mind in a crate in the hold. Give the dog a break - come here without it.

Dogs coming to Taiwan will DEFINITELY be quarantined, unless they’re from Iceland, Sweden, the UK, Japan, Australia, or New Zealand. It has to do with the low incidence of rabies in these countries.

i looked into it before arriving in taipei…
there’s a lot to do and i’d have to agree that it wouldn’t be a fun trip for your dog in the hold…but if you’re absolutely set on the idea i’d recommend going to your veteranarian to get some sort of doggie sleeping pill and make sure your dog has a large water bottle…you should also half expect an “accident” in the crate with such a long journey…there are also quite a few forms to fill out pre and post flight…
all and all…i think it’d be better to leave the dog with a friend or board…

I’m having kind of a similar problem.

My dog is very attached to me and so I won’t be able to visit Taiwan again unless I take him with me.
I’m wondering if there’s any way for him to avoid quarantine when travelling to Taiwan for a visit.
I’m in Austria so I thought maybe travelling via London could be a possibility? I know I can take him to the UK if he has all the right shots and some additional tests done.

My dog is rather small (8kg) so I was hoping he would be able to travel in the passengers cabin with me.

I would not advise sedating your dog, and most airlines do not allow it. If you are only traveling for 2-3 weeks find a highly recommended kennel and use that. The travel and adjustment period is VERY stressful on a dog.

[quote=“Chigga”]…I have to go to Taiwan around May-June '09 for a business trip for around 2-3 weeks.

I would like to bring my dog with me, mainly cause my parents are quite attached to him, and I love to take him wherever I go.

questions being, how complex is such process? the dog is well taken care of and I’m a friend of my vet, I’ve asked the local Taipei Economic Office and they can’t give me a sure answer. They did mention something regarding the dog wouldn’t have to be quaranteen if the dog has all tests done prior entry.

anyone with related experience?[/quote]
Hi, Chigga -

You are just coming for 2-3 weeks, right? By the time you have to return to Canada, your dog will still be in quarantine.

Of all the laws and regulations in Taiwan that are broken daily, or can be bribed, quarantine for imported pets is about the only standard that remains. :laughing:

Apparently if the dog is registered as a guide dog with continuous montly blood reports from last 8 months and the forms translated and pre-approve, then the dog can come in with one day quaranteen.

I guess the thought of letting the dog terrorize thru the market streets has to be shelved.