Bringing cat to Taiwan - some questions

Hi guys, I’m from Canada and I have a cat. I was going to drop by in HK for 10 days before I go to Taiwan. Is that allowed? Or would I have to bring my cat to Taiwan directly from Canada? Is there a rule saying that cats have to stay in the departing country for a certain period of time before they can arrive to Taiwan? In some places, there is a rule saying that the cat needs to stay in the same departure country for at least half a year, not sure if that rule applies in Taiwan. It would be great if anyone can offer me any guidance or advice. Thanks!!

As I will be working abroad, I will arrive with a visitor visa first, and get a work permit after. Can I bring my cat if I only have a visitor visa, or I need a work permit?

I read on some documents from the Quarantine Department that my cat has to get a blood sample 180 days before they arrive in Taiwan. Does that mean if I get the blood sample now, the earliest time I can arrive in Taiwan with my cat is July? Can I come any earlier?

llama_lout, oh no!!! that sounds REALLY scary. I want to keep my cat with me for life…I just can’t imagine leaving her here. Didn’t they have vets on the facility to cure the dogs??? That sounds REALLY dangerous…

how long were your acquaintance’s two dogs quarantined for?[/quote]

They caught something called “kennel cough” but I don’t know what the sad details are. The owners were pretty cut up by the whole thing.[/quote]

I see, thanks anyway. It does sound VERY terrible. :unamused:

You will not be able to detour through Hong Kong with your cat for ten days.

Also keep in mind that if you just transit through Hong Kong that you most likely will need to apply to the Hong Kong authorities for a transit certificate for your cat. Have a read here.

180 day period for the blood tests means that the middle of July would be the earliest that your cat could come.

1 Like

[quote=“damafen”]You will not be able to detour through Hong Kong with your cat for ten days.

Also keep in mind that if you just transit through Hong Kong that you most likely will need to apply to the Hong Kong authorities for a transit certificate for your cat. Have a read here.

180 day period for the blood tests means that the middle of July would be the earliest that your cat could come.[/quote]

damafen, "thanks for the site. “IMPORT PERMITS-Dogs and cats should not be brought into Hong Kong (either to import or for transhipment/transit) unless a Special Permit to do so is obtained in advance from this Department.” So that means if I got a Special Permit, transitting through 10 days can be permitted? Or am I interpretting this wrong?

So blood tests ARE necessarily required huh?

Thanks for the advice.

Hi jesscw,

I had a cat sent here from Canada. The cat was sent by cargo. It cost almost 35 000NT including flight, proper veterinary documents, quarantine fees, etc. If you fly with your cat, it should be a lot cheaper but before you book a flight, make sure the airline company will actually let you take your cat as some will not. HK has some strict laws regarding animals coming from rabies infected countries such as Canada and as mentioned by damafen, you should not make a stop there if you fly with your cat. It could end up quarantined there before it’s allowed to travel further.

Before you leave Canada, you need a few things. First, you need to get your cat’s vaccination up to date by a veterinary who is familiar with the process. The paper work is slightly different and the cat has to go through a complete health check.(blood tests, etc.) That costs a bit of money.

Second, you need to take the veterinary certificate to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to get it stamped and approved by the Canadian government. That costs about 20 dollars.

You also need an export permit from Canada. For our cat, Animal Travel took care of that for us.

Then you need to get in touch with the ministry of agriculture and import in Taiwan for them to send you the proper import permit application forms.

Once you have everything in order, you need to send this paperwork back to the agriculture office in Taiwan with flight information and dates of arrival in Taiwan. The people at the agriculture office will book your cat for quarantine on arrival and they will send you the original permits. Once you receive the import permit, you are ready to fly. Make sure to carry all original documents and make copies for yourself just in case.

They do not provide transportation from the airport to the quarantine place. You need to take a taxi or get a ride with a friend to take your cat there. You take your cat to quarantine yourself basically and once you leave it there you are not allowed to visit for 21 days at which time you can then go pick up the cat and bring it home.

I’d have to agree with 914 earlier in this thread, there are applesolutely no problems with this procedure. Our main beef is that we got the cat shipped in the summer and upon arrival, the kennel was left in the sun for about one hour at the airport which was a tad too hot for a cat coming from Canada. Best is to remain calm and friendly with the authorities if they do not care for the cat the way you would like them too.

The main thing is to double check that you are booked for quarantine before leaving Canada and to have all the proper documents ready when you are asked for them.

World-Wide Animal Travel arranged everything for us. They are great. They know which airline are better than others and they are familiar with pet laws world-wide.

Good to see that you care for your cat. I see that some posts in this thread almost advise against importing an animal but I think the chances of having problems if you organise things properly are quite slim. The cat will find it a tough journey but not nearly as tough as losing you for a long time.

If you need any more information about this, pm me with your email address and I will send you a copy of all the necessary forms you need along with some helpful phone numbers both in Canada and Taiwan. There are time restraints on some of the documents so you need to time things right in order to make it as painless as possible for your cat. For example, the import permit and some other Canadian documents are only valid for ten days and the cat has to travel within that time period.

Best of luck with that!

bobepine

[quote=“jessccw”][quote=“damafen”]You will not be able to detour through Hong Kong with your cat for ten days.

180 day period for the blood tests means that the middle of July would be the earliest that your cat could come.[/quote]

damafen, "thanks for the site. “IMPORT PERMITS-Dogs and cats should not be brought into Hong Kong (either to import or for transhipment/transit) unless a Special Permit to do so is obtained in advance from this Department.” So that means if I got a Special Permit, transitting through 10 days can be permitted? Or am I interpretting this wrong?

So blood tests ARE necessarily required huh?

Thanks for the advice.[/quote]

You need the permit to transit through the airport with your pet. Different requirements if you were to bring your pet actually into Hong Kong (beyond the airport). Keep in mind that this is not a Taiwanese requirement but that of the authorities in Hong Kong. Once you step foot outside of Hong Kong airport with your pet then it is in Hong Kong and must be imported from there. And all the Taiwanese requirements applicable to import and to Hong Kong would have to be complied with from that point and from there.

If you really want to go to Hong Kong for ten days then ship your cat cargo as Bobepine suggested and have it arrive once you are settled in Taiwan. This would also allow you to travel before July.

If you do not want to visit Hong Kong but still intend to transit (transfer planes in Hong Kong without clearing immigration and customs) with your cat then you will still most likely need to apply for the transit permit (airport only) from the Hong Kong authorities. The requirements for the permit along with the application form should be on the link I provided above.

thanks!!

bump

Damafen, I am trying to get my cat here to Taichung, Taiwan from USA. I just saw this old thread and I wonder if you can help me. I thought I had my information organized and so I purchased the most direct and fastest flight I could find. It has a 6hr layover in Hong Kong. Now, someone is telling me that even with the transit certificate, my cat may be held in Hong Kong. Do you have any more information or experience? Can you help? Thank you!