Bringing home a piece of you

I was just wondering if any of you have had any “interesting” ecperiences bring your Taiwanese children “home.”

I took my son with me to the States to visit family and friends last year. In Oregon, I got sick to death of people comming up and telling my son that he was so luck that I’d adopted him. I’d tell them that he was my biological son, and they’d look at me like I was nuts. Then I’d have to explain that his father it Chinese.

In Texas, I took him for some shots, as it was time, and then had to take him to the emergency room when he developed a reaction to one of them. I had applied for his SSN here in Taiwan but didn’t have it yet, and was told at the hospital that I had an illegal child. “Any child,” they said, “who is brought into the States must have a SSN or they’re illegal.” Bollacks! What idiotic people. Then, when I went to the SS office to prove that he was indeed mine, and legal, they didn’t know what a Consular Report of Birth Abroad was and wanted to know why he didn’t have a birth certific! Bleeding idiots. After making some phone calls to their superiors, they figured out how to do their jobs!

So, anyone ever have any similar experience?