Britain's Got Talent

Bingo. Anything else, and there’d have been a scattering of polite applause. :ohreally:

He’s got an amazing voice, but I think short of a makeover, he will never been seen again except via youtube. Unfortunately, only the beautiful people are the ones who make it to fame for their talent. The less-than-pretty, no matter how talented they are, are rarely given much notice.

But the look on Cowell’s face was classic. I’m surprised he didn’t swallow his pen.

[quote=“llama_lout”][quote=“Fox”][quote]He cracks on the top note indicating that the nerves got to him on the night or he doean’t really have the technique.
[/quote]

You’re hard to please.

I didn’t hear that. He did take a wrong breath. We don’t know how he would fair without a microphone, but we do know that you can’t type properly.

[/quote]

I’m not on TV claiming to be a top class typist am I?[/quote]

The way he moved that babe judge with his voice, he’s in with a great chance of knobbing her … which I can’t see you doing with either your typing or singing reviews, to tell the truth.

[quote=“llama_lout”]Oh please, go to a real opera and here a real tenor sing without a microphone, this guy has a nice light lyric tenor and lots of guts. He hasn’t got the technique or power to sing over the top of an orchestra and it would be sad, cheap exploitation to tell him he is the new Andrea Bocelli or Pavarotti or whatever. He cracks on the top note indicating that the nerves got to him on the night or he doean’t really have the technique.

Yes I’m a spoil sport,[/quote]
He’s a fucking cellphone salesman, for god’s sake. And I’ve been to plenty of opera and heard plenty of trained singers, thanks very much. Who told him he is the next Bocelli, by the way? “A breath of fresh air” was how I heard it described by one judge.
Yes, the fucking cellphone salesman cracks on the top note. Hardly surprising, especially as he noted at the start how his nerves made it difficult for him. I’ve also been to plenty of operas where the fully trained, technically proficient singers made bum notes. If you haven’t, then you haven’t been to many operas or else you’ve been very very lucky.
Yes you’re a spoil sport.

But go ahead. Go to the show and vote instead for his rivals – some 15-year-old miming to Hit me Baby One More Time, probably, or a teenager break dancer spinning around on his head.

That bloke has talent, he sings well, and he enthralled his audience – who unlike you were not pissed because he wasn’t classically trained and technically perfect. Jeez!

True, but there are some exceptions. Take Jennifer Hudson for example.

This guy may be no Pavarotti, but I thought – despite having no idea this was a World Cup song – that he was quite good, especially for an average shmoe working an average job.

As a non-TV viewer, I also never would have known – but for the audience and judges’ reaction-- if he’s any better or worse than your average contestant on American Idol or the UK equivalent. But I take it he was among the better ones.

On to the next round. :bravo:

Wikipedia:

[quote]He is a student of Ian Comboy and has an apprenticeship with Gilbert and Sullivan in Bristol

He has spent two summers touring Northern Italy training with one of the major opera schools, training under top teachers Mario Melani and Svetlana Sidrova, and has taken part in master classes with Vilma Vernocchi, Katia Ricciarelli and Luciano Pavarotti. He has also performed with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

With Bath Opera he has sung the roles of Don Basilio (Marriage of Figaro), Don Ottavio (Don Giovanni) and the title role in Verdi’s Don Carlos, and Turandot as Prince of Persia and Herald. Future plans include the role of Chevalier des Grieux (Manon Lescaut) for Southgate Opera, London, and another concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in the summer.[/quote]

:smiley:

True, but there are some exceptions. Take Jennifer Hudson for example.[/quote]

Uh, her?

I would be happy to be so ugly.

True, but there are some exceptions. Take Jennifer Hudson for example.[/quote]

Uh, her?

photo

I would be happy to be so ugly.[/quote]

She’s already a star. She’s already been made over. But I didn’t mean that she’s ugly. She’s just got a bigger caboose than most singing stars these days. Or maybe my perception is distorted after watching Dreamgirls, where they made such a big deal about her being the “ugly” one.

A little bit more on the guy (Paul Potts) here:
icWales

Oh please, this wasn’t a competition among professionals. Go listen to the crap the other contestants put out, and then judge this guy in comparison to them.

I think the woman sitting in the middle was just about to loose all of her clothes when she just looses it 2/3rds of the way through.
Gobsmacking performance and he has just the perfect face for demonstrating the emotion of the song. I don’t think even I could sing it that well! :wink:

It seems this girl has also made quite an impresson: dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1773
Unfortunately I can’t view the video at work, due to our over-zealous I.T. department, so maybe someone can let me know if it’s any good.

She’s a li’l angel!

That was beautiful.

And I agree with what the comment said by Tania Lambert, Pleslin France.

Paul Potts Semi Final winning performance!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDB9zwlXrB8

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

And he’s going to have his final competition broadcast live this Sunday!!!

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

And this is his online space:

http://www.myspace.com/paul_potts

:sunglasses:

He’s already 79 years old! I really cried this time.

It’s so nice to see that people still have dreams even when they’re this old, I might be too emotional right now, but I really appreciate what this old man inspired me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-UIHCZkc-s&mode=related&search=

If you enjoyed Billy Elliot as much as I did, you’ll love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8q5QJOwoG4

SP Paul Potts won the whole thing. Good for him!

[quote=“llama_lout”]Oh please, go to a real opera and here a real tenor sing without a microphone, this guy has a nice light lyric tenor and lots of guts. He hasn’t got the technique or power to sing over the top of an orchestra and it would be sad, cheap exploitation to tell him he is the new Andrea Bocelli or Pavarotti or whatever. He cracks on the top note indicating that the nerves got to him on the night or he doean’t really have the technique.

Yes I’m a spoil sport,[/quote]

No. You’re just a little sad and mean-spirited. Pavarotti thought Potts was really good when he sang in front of him, but maybe you have much higher standards than Pavarotti.

Do enlighten us - what was your favourite operatic performance? I am talking about one you actually attended, rather than formed an opinion on watching a resampled and then compressed YouTube capture of a videotape of a guy standing in a gymnasium singing into a poor quality microphone downmixed with a backing tape into analogue broadcast 70db stereo for TV.

Dear oh dear. One in every crowd…

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6272370.stm

excellent news…