British and Irish Lions Rugby Tour 2009

[quote=“kungwan2000”]Here’s a blog with video clips for rugby lovers.

Rugbydump

It’s got updates and clips of all the big games. :slight_smile:[/quote]
You sneaky bugger! You’ve fished out my source! :fume:

Well done, mate. I was wondering if I should post that link, but then I reckoned most 'Mosans would rather prefer it wrapped up nice and neat in one thread.

Good on ya.

So, what’s your prediction for tomorrow’s game?

I reckon B&I Lions to beat WP by 10.

@bismark
PaiSe, PaiSe for leaking the source. :blush:

As for tomorrow’s game, I think will succumb to the Lions but not without fight.
The Lions will win in typical northern hemisphere style of rugby and play conservatively.
That said, I prefer southern hemisphere’s brand of rugby with open running and aggression.
My prediction is it that the Lions will win by 10-15 points.

[quote=“kungwan2000”]@bismark
PaiSe, PaiSe for leaking the source. :blush:

As for tomorrow’s game, I think will succumb to the Lions but not without fight.
The Lions will win in typical northern hemisphere style of rugby and play conservatively.
That said, I prefer southern hemisphere’s brand of rugby with open running and aggression.
My prediction is it that the Lions will win by 10-15 points.[/quote]
Agreed. The first half should be interesting though.

[quote=“kungwan2000”]Here’s a blog with video clips for rugby lovers.

Rugbydump

Thanks for the heads up on this great site.I just watched a couple of Cullen tries…magic!!!

[quote=“Wandering”][quote=“kungwan2000”]Here’s a blog with video clips for rugby lovers.

Rugbydump

Thanks for the heads up on this great site.I just watched a couple of Cullen tries…magic!!![/quote]
:bluemad:

Glad you’re liking it mate. It’s a good blog.

WP 23 - 26 B&I Lions!

Wow, another close one! Although it was three tries to one! Which is a good win!

It was a good game, had me at the edge of my seat during the last 15 minutes.

I had to catch the live game through justin.tv .
Streaming quality is still pretty poor but better than nothing.

Looking forward to the next game.

I hope BAIL can be competitive against the world champs this weekend.I lurve the fact that the BAIL team plays provincial teams and would hate to see them stop touring coz they get thumped by the Sanzar unions every fourth year.The Bokke machine might be vulnerable this weekend as they havent played together this season.Once the Bokke get into the second and third test the Lions wont get with in 15 points of them.Have the teams been announced?

Nope. The Bok team for the first test will be announced tonight after the Southern Kings match. The B&I Lions team for the first test will be announced on Thursday.

I think tonight’s game is going to be another easy one for the Lions. This is a hodge podge team of folks from all over, including has beens past their sell by date like De Wet Barry and Jaco “I swear it was a drop goal attempt and not a knock-on” Van Der Westhuyzen. There’s even a young bloke from England in the team who is here to help promote the Southern Kings franchise.
I think tonight is going to show exactly why SA can’t afford another team in the Super 14. Lets remember that the Golden Lions got slaughtered, the bottom of the log Stormers and Cheetahs pushed them to within 3 points and the Sharks without their Boks came apart at the seams.

The Southern Kings are going to get hammered tonight. I’m pretty sure.

My prediction:
Southern Kings 8 - 51 B&I Lions

And if my prediction is off, IOW, if they can’t get a good win tonight, then I reckon the Boks will run amok with them. This Southern Kings side is truly dreadful and not really worthy of playing the Lions IMVHO.

I put the poll up on my rugby blog and posted a few new posts wrapping up the Super 14, thoughts on the All Black and Wallaby teams and a summary of the B&I Lions tour so far.

Go have a look. Vote and leave some comments.

Cheers.

Rugby Blog

Here’s a documentary by BBC broadcast during the buildup to the Lions tour.
It covers the 1974 tour of the “Invincibles” during apartheid in SA.

“The Lions’ Roar” South Africa 1974

Youtube Links:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

If you like these kind of sports history documentaries, the BBC is doing a series, Empire of Cricket, on Cricket as the Twenty20 Cricket World Cup is underway.

[quote=“bismarck”]My prediction:
Southern Kings 8 - 51 B&I Lions[/quote]
Score: Southern Kings 8 - 20 B&I Lions

Still not sure how the Kings managed it…
Ah well, at least I got one of the two sides’ scores correct!

Saturday - Thie first test! Woo Hoo!!

My picks for the weekends internationals.
Boks 32-BAILs 16
ABs 23- France 17
Oz plenty-Italy a lot less.
I’d love to Lions win this test to keep the series interesting,but cant see it happen unless the Boks are very rusty.Enjoy the games chaps.BTW all games are on MOD (Chunghwa telecom tv) starting with the ABs at 3.30pm on Sat,followed by Oz and the big game at 9pm.

Where is a good place to watch the match tonight in Taipei?

Not at my place…MOD has just frozen!!Baaaastaards!!!The games will be on at The Brass Monkey and The Tavern I’d imagine.

I’m watching online now and my god Donald is playing like shite…can’t kick,pass or catch…utter PANTS :bluemad:

Nice games this weekend past. ABs still seemed a little undercooked, Wallabies thrashed the Italians (although he scoreline doesn’t quite seem that way, they scored quite a few nice tries!), and I thought the first 50 minutes by the Boks were awesome.
Still can’t understand why he substituted Brussouw and De Villiers, and Jacobs has proven to be the utter disaster on defence that everyone suspected he’d be.
Wonder what PDV will do this weekend. Seems he’s intent on playing the worst possible combinations and he’s definitely the Boks biggest threat to losing tests and the Tri-Nations. It’s only the class of the players that have carried him the past year and change…

I watched all three games. Quite a marathon drinking session. :beer:
Thought the ABs were below par. They played like :canada: and France looked quite useful at times.
Plucky display from Italy, but outplayed by a superior team.
As Mr Bismarck said, Springboks looked awesome for the first 50 minutes, but then things fell apart. I suppose PDV thought SA had the match sewn up, so tried some different combinations. Nearly saw his ass, though. We’ll take the victory. I foresee the Bokke walking all over the BILs in the next test. :southafrica:

[quote=“bismarck”]Nice games this weekend past. ABs still seemed a little undercooked, Wallabies thrashed the Italians (although he scoreline doesn’t quite seem that way, they scored quite a few nice tries!), and I thought the first 50 minutes by the Boks were awesome.
Still can’t understand why he substituted Brussouw and De Villiers, and Jacobs has proven to be the utter disaster on defence that everyone suspected he’d be.
Wonder what PDV will do this weekend. Seems he’s intent on playing the worst possible combinations and he’s definitely the Boks biggest threat to losing tests and the Tri-Nations. It’s only the class of the players that have carried him the past year and change…[/quote]
Yeah when You take McAwe,Carter and to a lesser extent Ali Williams and Rodders out of the ABs, the team start to look pretty average.The traditional depth in NZ has all but vanished.
Perhaps Puppet was told that if the Boks didnt take the foot off the Lions throat,for the first test at least,then the lucrative UK TV deal would be in jeopardy for the rest of the series :smiley: .I expect Puppet wont be making the same mistake next week.
Bismarck,do you remember me telling you pre-S14 how poorly Donald can play from time to time?Do you see my point now?He is a good S14 pivot,but no more than a journeyman at test level.I hope tubby Luke 'money hungry’McAllister is wearing the 10 jersey against Italy.I hope that the AB coaches will rest a few of the veterans e.g.Mils,Thorn and Meelamu this weekend.

Sadly true. He also wasn’t up to much in the S14 final where he was made to look very ineffectual. I think they should try Daniel Bowden on flyhalf against Italy. I think he’s a player for the future and should be used as a back-up for Carter, when he’s back from injury. Also, he can cut his teeth on the bench for a few games as he’s useful on center, also.

Eager to see Ronan O’Gara make Earl Rose look the over rated player he is. Tomorrow’s game is going to be good, but I suspect more so from a B&I Lions POV. They have a good looking team, and the Emerging Boks only have Kirchner and Vermaak in the backline that I rate. Pity they expect Kirchner to impress in a backline that is virtually unknown with Vodacom Cup players against a side that would give the Boks uphill…

Sadly true. He also wasn’t up to much in the S14 final where he was made to look very ineffectual. I think they should try Daniel Bowden on flyhalf against Italy. I think he’s a player for the future and should be used as a back-up for Carter, when he’s back from injury. Also, he can cut his teeth on the bench for a few games as he’s useful on center, also.

Eager to see Ronan O’Gara make Earl Rose look the over rated player he is. Tomorrow’s game is going to be good, but I suspect more so from a B&I Lions POV. They have a good looking team, and the Emerging Boks only have Kirchner and Vermaak in the backline that I rate. Pity they expect Kirchner to impress in a backline that is virtually unknown with Vodacom Cup players against a side that would give the Boks uphill…[/quote]
Agreed.Bowden is a good young talent,he was the most consistent of the young NZ 10s in the S14.I saw bits and pieces of the U20 tournament and the future AB 10 could be a lad called Aaron Cruden.
Remind Earl Rose of the hit Doug Howlett put on him a couple of seasons ago in S14.OUCH!Don’t pin all your hopes on ROG proving anyone other than ROG is over rated.