British citizenship

I’ve tried a few searches and I’m coming up with nothing, almost certainly because I’m an internet retard as I’m sure this question has been asked before.

My wife and I are planning to have a child. We are moving back to the UK in September and will stay there for ten months. Am I better off knocking her up before we go to the UK and have the baby there, or does it make little odds if we have the baby in Taiwan after we come back? We want British citizenship. Is this easier to achieve if the baby is born in Taiwan or in the UK?

It could all be moot as I’m getting on a bit and may well be shooting blanks. Don’t tell the wife that though.

If you want British citizenship, have the kid in the UK. I know legally it doesn’t make much difference, but to many people, where you’re born is where you’re from.

Bollocks. If you are a British citizen, your children are entitled to citizenship, irrespective of your spouse’s nationality or where the sprog was born.

But I’d guess if we have the kid in the UK it will all be a lot easier. There must be a number of hoops to jump through if we have a kid in Taiwan, particularly with Taiwan’s unique status.

I think that unless I hear otherwise it’s going to be gloves off soon, and a lot less posting on Forumosa (which I’ve no doubt many will appreciate).

Gross! Time and place, sir! No one wishes to hear about your unfortunate domestics. :laughing:

It’s complicated further by the fact that my wife wants a Sagittarius or Gemini.

As with so many things in life, it’s all in the timing.

[quote=“tomthorne”]It’s complicated further by the fact that my wife wants a Sagittarius or Gemini.
[/quote]

Shouldn’t you wait til she’s over her head injury?

I don’t ask questions anymore, I just do what’s required.

Well, Britain needs more Taiwanese air signs. Good luck to you in your glorious quest.

Yes, I know. But it will involve less paperwork if the child is born in the UK.
I was referring to some people’s opinion, opinions which I have encountered many times: a child could be born in Spain, say, to Canadian parents, move to Canada before the age of one, and still be qualified as ‘not really Canadian.’

Not always. If you yourself were born outside the UK and gained British Citizenship from your parents, then it gets a bit more difficult.

Not always. If you yourself were born outside the UK and gained British Citizenship from your parents, then it gets a bit more difficult.[/quote]Indeed, there’s “citizen by descent”, and “citizen by otherwise than descent”
A child born outside the UK to a British parent is the former, they can’t pass on British citizenship to a child born outside the UK. If he was born in the UK he is latter and can. They have identical rights, except in relation to passing on they citizenship to children born outside the UK.

I think.

If you guys could choose either in an ideal situation which would you choose? I’d guess have the kid in the UK?

Get rid of her. Steal some money. Move to Chile. Maybe buy a boat?

Get rid of her. Steal some money. Move to Chile. Maybe buy a boat?[/quote]

I couldn’t do that. Who else would have me? I only managed to get this one to marry me because of her head injury.

My little girl was born here, we haven’t registered her anywhere as a Yooker, and I’m in the process of renouncing my British citizenship. We’ll be raising her as a Taiwanese whose dad happens to have been born and grown up on the other side of the world. When she’s older, she’ll always have the option of applying for a British passport if ever she needs or wants to.

You’re giving up British citizenship! Wow.

May I ask why you’ve chosen to do this? Are there any benefits to no longer being a British citizen?

You’re giving up British citizenship! Wow.

May I ask why you’ve chosen to do this? Are there any benefits to no longer being a British citizen?[/quote]

There are many benefits to being a citizen of this country, where most of what matters to me belongs, and where I plan to stay indefinitely, rather than of another country far away that I haven’t even visited in seven or eight years.

You may find your daughter is not eligible for UK Nationality if you renounce before she has been granted it. Not being a scare monger just better to make sure she has it before you renounce yours if you intend to ensure she has the opportunity. So even if the current rules allow you to renounce and your daughter to apply later on, rules can change and she make not be able to at a later date. Best to check with the UK Government on that one.

Nice to see another doing what I did so many years ago. We understand what it means for us living in Taiwan. There are plenty of benefits to not being a citizen of a foreign country if you are living your life in Taiwan and want all the benefit’s ROC nationality brings.

I was called worse than a fool for doing so a decade plus ago. Some of those same people calling me a fool wanted to stay in Taiwan but are now unable to do so due to a change in their circumstances.

I certainly don’t consider either of you fools. Everyone makes their own decisions according to their circumstances. I would never have the balls to renounce my British citizenship however. Even though there aren’t actually that many benefits left for me now I’ve been out of the country a few years.

I get to go through Heathrow immigration faster than non Brits, but I still have to wait for my luggage so it doesn’t help much.