British English as opposed to American English

I used to do a bit of shagging myself back in Carolina. We did it on the beach. Or nearby.

I wasn’t too good at it though because I just couldn’t get the rhythm down. There’s lots of hip swinging and spinning around involved in shagging. And you need the right music to shag by. You gotta have Embers, Temptations, Shakers and CHAIRMEN of the BOARD!!!
Oh, and you should take off your shoes first.

quote:
Originally posted by Alien: Oh, and you should take off your shoes first.

But you can leave your hat on.

quote:
Originally posted by sandman:

Well that’s just total bullshit!

Watch that language, Sandy, or the other Jeff will have to whoop your cute little fanny.

Naah, I’m staying off his forum for a bit, (or until I change my mind). Somebody over there is just too much of a tight-arsed priss for my stomach!

quote:
Watch that language, Sandy, or the other Jeff will have to whoop your cute little fanny.
There's another one for ya. In Australia only girls have 'fanny's" Although we'd all like to get one from time to time. Well every man and his dog anyway [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
quote[quote]Naah, I'm staying off his forum for a bit, (or until I change my mind). Somebody over there is just too much of a tight-arsed priss for my stomach! [/quote]

San, you’re welcome to come kvetch on my forum as long as you say NICE things about us teachers…I’ll even throw in a free shag lesson.

Read this thread from the last post backwards and try and figure out what the original topic was…
SHAGADELIC, BABY!

quote:
Originally posted by Alien: And you need the right music to shag by. You gotta have Embers, Temptations, Shakers and CHAIRMEN of the BOARD!!!!!!!

Alien, you ever listen to Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs? They did “Stay”. He’s from my hometown…I think he’s running a club up in Charlotte now…let’s get a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 and a couple of Dixie cups full of ice…you’re my kind of woman!

The difference between the american and english sensibilities can easily be demonstrated by looking at the difference between the way both Brits and Americans deal with Tourette’s Syndrome.

First take a look at the American web page:

Tourettes.com

The British seem to take a slightly different approach to tourettes:

Tourettes.co.uk

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]          [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]          [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]          [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]          [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Aaaaaaaaarrrrgh!! ROTFLx20!

OK, I’ve been sent that link before, but it still kills me every time.

Thanks Holger!

England, the USA, and Australia. Three countries separated by a common language.

Originally posted by amos

"If you learnt to use the quotes button "

I think I managed to use it once and then claen fordot how I did it! DANG! (think I heard that on an American show one day.

quote:
Originally posted by polygon: we really have very little exposure to British English, in either written or broadcast forms, .

I think this is the basic problem in the communication gap. Growing up in Australia I have been exposed to lots of British commedies. Consequently I understand a lot of British English (Probably having british parents helped
)

Over the years as “American Cultural Imperialism” crept in I was exposed to American English and humour. (at least that what they call it!)

Americans just don’t get British humour (they had to rewrite and reshoot (with American actors) the British cult Commedy “Red Dwarf” specifically for American audiences.) so no wonder that british shows never (perhaps not very often) made it onto American airwaves.

quote:
Originally posted by tai xiaojie: As I approached puberty (1970s), public TV used to run "Monty Python" and "Bennie Hill". I turned on all my friends to those shows much to the dismay of our parents. That was an education in more ways than one! When we got digital cable recently, I was filled with anticipation as I turned it to the BBC channel. Alas, I find they run shows I've already seen elsewhere and the commercials are all American! What a let down.

If your after an education or just some good laughs try and get hold of the British “Red Dwarf” series. If you can get hold of the first episode “The End” the whole thing will make much more sense.

I can also recommend “Only Fools and Horses”

I can’t begin to tell you how much fun I’ve had in my CELTA course here when it came to grammar and pronunciation. It doesn’t help that one of my two tutors has more or less told me to tell the students that I speak American English in case some discrepancy comes up…sardonically I asked, “Well, should I write the disclaimer on the board or just pass out a flyer as they come in?”
Then I learn that like the American Phonemic Alphabet, there’s a British Phonemic Alphabet as well. Both have some differences when it comes to the International Phonemic Alphabet, especially in the sense of vowels which essentially is what makes up the various dialects of English. Nevermind the fact that they say things like “at the weekend” instead of “on the weekend”. This same teacher went through and “corrected” my spelling of ‘practice’ to ‘practise’. I asked her, “Gee, is my American English going to be a problem? Should I adapt British spellings?” When I pointed out what she did, she told me that she was not aware that that was how we spelled ‘practice’ in American English. Well, then why in the hell is she training English teachers if she’s not aware of the differences between the two major branches of English? She dismissed it as my American English ways being okay if that’s what the school I would teach at prefers. I suppose she forgot to add “…and only if.”

Grrrrrrr…

I have no problems with BE and my English is becoming more and more of an amalgam of both BE and AE, but to say one is better than the other is just f_cked up.

The subset of the IPA used in the UK is Adrian Underhill’s arrangement published in Sound Foundations. I am not aware of any “British Phonemic Alphabet”. Your classes on phonetics should be looking at rhotic and non-rhotic accents, as well as the phonemes for more than one language.

Your CELTA instructors should have pointed out that for the purposes of English language instruction, either US or British spellings are acceptable, but the candidate / student must be consistent in his use of one or the other. This is both the IELTS and Cambridge recommendation.

I find it very hard to believe that your instructors are not aware of the differences between US and British English, especially the abandonment in the US of the noun/verb distinction between “licence” and “license”, and the example you gave. During my CELTA, however, I only had one student who used US spelling (a Taiwanese girl) and for her benefit we always presented both forms, as she was going to be using her English back in Taiwan where she would rightly be cast down in flames into the underbelly of society for using British English. The other students from Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, and (bizarrely) South America, all used British English.

At lower levels, however, it may not be appropriate to provide multiple options, as certain phrases such as “twenty after five” and “in back of” will not be easily understood in England, and it is unfair on the student who is studying in England to supply him with language which is not easily comprehensible to the general population of the area he is going to be using his newly-acquired English. I, for example, would not dream of trying to teach British English to new arrivals in the States.

It may help you to understand your teachers’ affected ignorance (wrong though it is) when you consider that many Brits consider American English to be a simplification along the lines of Simplified Chinese. I don’t put that forward as my own opinion, but you will hear people complain about “what they’ve done to our language”. You can consider that one over a pint in Bethnal Green or Whitechapel - you may have to draw pictures for the barman…:wink: