British Guys

Does it rain all the time on the coast of France? Those poor Frenchies, no wonder so many of them are going to live in England these days!

Perhaps because they are…

You should try Aussies for a poofy accent - the first time I heard Huang Guang Chen talk, I thought he was batting on the other team.

Just don’t walk into a pub in Belfast and say that.

Now the topic is getting interesting!

Great Britain, or the UK both relate to England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Notable in sporting events we will all cheer for any of the last 3 however when England play the last 3 will all cheer for whoever else is playing.

It is clear therefore that whilst some unity exists, mostly these latter (smaller) units remain uncomfortable in their bondage, as the last vestiges of the British Empire.

It is fair to refer to them all as English, as we own them, interbreed with them, sell off their assets for the common good etc. We also support them with subsidies, string government and access to international trade so it isn’t all bad.

There has been some talk of spinning them off, but we can’t seem to find a buyer who will take Scotland but leave us the oil, and no-one wants Wales or Ireland…=-)

BTW…just kidding here.

You sneaky Hun bastard.I was amazed Oz had been doing alright till you came farting into the fray.

HG

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Now the topic is getting interesting!

Great Britain, or the UK both relate to England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.[/quote]

“Great Britain” does not include Ireland.

Sorry should have specified Northern Ireland, the other bit rules itself and sponges off of Europe… :laughing:

Dusting off my pedant’s hat, Great Britain and the UK are not the same thing. Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales, i.e. the bigger of the two main British Isles. The UK is Great Britain plus Northern Island.

Like it says in my passport: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So no, no part of the island of Ireland (north or south) is part of Great Britain.

Carry on.

I hear tell that if you’re from England, you say, “I’m from England”… and if you’re from Scotland, you say, “I’m from Scotland”… and if you’re from Northern Ireland, you say, “I’m from Northern Ireland”… but, if you’re from Wales, you say, “I’m from the UK”…

That true?

[quote=“Tigerman”]I hear tell that if you’re from England, you say, “I’m from England”… and if you’re from Scotland, you say, “I’m from Scotland”… and if you’re from Northern Ireland, you say, “I’m from Northern Ireland”… but, if you’re from Wales, you say, “I’m from the UK”…

That true?[/quote]

My Welsh friend lived in Japan for a couple of years and said that introductions always went like this:

Her: Hi, I’m Gwyneth.
Them: And where are you from?
Her: Wales.
Them: Err…
Her: You know, Wales, next to England.
Them: Err… so you’re English?
Her: No, I’m… oh f*ck it. I’m British.
Them: Oh right, why didn’t you say?

Of course inside the UK they don’t need to tell anyone because it’s obvious five seconds after they open their mouths.

Taffy

Thanks for the NI info. I had never heard that. Is that why the Irish flag plays no part in the Union Jack? Why don’t they teach that stuff in schools?

I only found out last year that there was more than 1 verse to the National Anthem so am not very good at this stuff but it is cool owning 3 other countries… :bravo:

The Irish flag is not part of the Union Flag because it’s another country. The same reason why the British flag plays no part of the Australian flag, oh wait… bad example there.
Unless of course you include the diagonal red bits which are Northern Ireland’s contribution to the flag.

Is this the Insult the Irish thread ?

Double post, I was told it was junk, so I did it again.

You can tick off the English, you can provoke the Scots, but you can’t insult the Irish.

I try every chance I get, but they’re like teflon. And then they say something really sweet and disarming in that adorable accent and you can’t help but melt away.

Then you try again in a few weeks, when you think you’ve built up some immunity.

But it’s pointless really.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Taffy

Thanks for the NI info. I had never heard that. Is that why the Irish flag plays no part in the Union Jack? Why don’t they teach that stuff in schools?[/quote]

The diagonal red cross (saltire) in the Union Jack is St Patrick’s cross and represents Ireland at a time when the whole of Ireland was British. Wales is not represented in the flag because it was annexed and conquered (and considered part of England at the time) rather than entering into a legal union (as Scotland did).

The Irish tricolor that is used as the current Republic of Ireland flag is younger than the Union Flag and was officially adopted when the country became independent in 1922 (although it had been a symbol of a free Ireland for half a century or more before that). The green represents the Catholic majority, the orange is the Protestant minority and the white is for peaceful co-existence between the two.

Yeah, something about frustrating her enemies’ knavish tricks. Load of nonsense.

We need a new national anthem anyway, something more upbeat.

Then the girls would really get hot for us.

Taffy. Good for you for explaining (correctly) the difference between “Great” Britain, and the UK, and also the St. Paddy’s component of the Union Jack.

Now, what were we saying about Irish having the sexiest accent in the whole world ever? :smiley:

Strangely enough the sexiest accent I’ve ever encoutered was a Romanian German who studied in Galway. I knew her well and used to call her regularly just to listen to her weird Irish-latin-eastern-European mix - God it was good.

I still don’t understand why you all are hung up on British Gays. And now we have to deal with the lust for Oirish gays as well?

:s

Is that like how most really ordinary-looking male birds sing the most beautiful songs, while the really beautiful male birds sing rather plain songs?

:wink: