British People's Prose

I know. US English spelling is weird. Like, the double L in the gerund form: it is used in spelling and killing, but dropped in travelling and rapelling. What is it with these people?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone knows any more.

Yeah, language standardisation/simplification is always a disaster. As you’ll know, Katakana and Hiragana are basically nightmares. Nod of approval to the Koreans who have managed it successfully, but Simplified Chinese, modern written Japanese, and “English (United States)” I’d call a fail.

I spent a few years learning them while living in Nara. Absolute nightmare.

1 Like

Typing Rondon to spell London in Katakana just feels wrong and enforces its own, probably offensive, stereotype.

Don’t get me started on Los Angeles.

2 Likes

If he’s still alive, he’s 141 years old. Well, if you add up his various residences in Trieste, Dublin, Rome, Paris, and Zürich–yeah, it appears he’s still alive.

But if he’s still alive, I wonder where he is right now. Maybe Canada? Or maybe some tropical island?

Does that include William Burroughs? :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t know. They were subjects I found fascinating.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Not to mention a fart fetish.

1 Like

Apparently in the UK, “barrister” means lawyer. I thought it meant like someone who gets your coffee at Starbucks.

1 Like

You need to learn the difference of what a solicitor, barrister or Queens Counsel does. I’m a bit niggardly with my word choice.

1 Like

ahem

KC

4 Likes

The beautiful part about reading texts from different cultures and societies, is that it forces a person to think more. This level of forced opening of mindsets is amazing. Forums are also great for this. Despite this forum being English based, the hundreds, perhaps thousands, orlf variable patterns and and ways of writing really opened one’s vocabulary and intellect. Tpp often we gravitate towards what we were taught whats right. And all too often we miss true gems of wisdom and experience because our ego gets in the way of literacy “supposed to be”

This is worth praise, not frustration.

“She let free sudden in rebound her nipped elastic garter smackwarm against her smackable woman’s warmhosed thigh”…that Irish fucker sho could write

1 Like

Makes one think, dunnit!

British? I’d have thought some of our Irish members might have something to say about that.

I suppose technically British Isles

1 Like

“Your talk, I said, is surely the handiwork of wisdom because not one word of it do I understand.”

1 Like

I’ve no idea if that’s Joyce. I only managed to finish Dubliners.

He was into scat.

1 Like

Everyone who was born in Ireland was technically British back then.
But as Lord Nelson said being born in a stable didn’t make one a cow. He didn’t mean it quite the same way around of course.
What is very clear to any Dubliner is that you all are concerned about the wrong thing. he was a Dubliner thru and thru and even wrote many a book about us. You can wander around Dublin and see many of the houses and neighbourhoods that look alrgely the same as the time he grew up there , they moved a lot as his father struggled to pay the rent .

As for not coming back to Ireland and how Irish he was well I can’t blame him about any of that since his books were banned back then.

As for the British isles argument most of us in Ireland don’t accept this term , as we aren’t British and most of our island is certainly not in Britain. So why would we call our island a British isle? I don’t think many people lose sleep over this one way 9r the other though.

1 Like

horse