Brits Abroad

These complaints made by (presumably British) holidaymakers are so hilarious I just have to share them. I was laughing my head off as I read them.

[In case the link doesn’t work for you, here’s a selection of the complaints:

1. A tourist at a top African game lodge overlooking a waterhole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel “inadequate”.
  2. “The beach was too sandy.”
  3. “Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women.”
  4. “We bought ‘Ray-Ban’ sunglasses for five euros (£3.50) from a street trader, only to find out they were fake.”
  5. “No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled.”
  6. “It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only took the Americans three hours to get home.”
  7. “My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked.”
  8. “I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends’ three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller.”
  9. “The brochure stated: ‘No hairdressers at the accommodation’. We’re trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying here?”
  10. “There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners.”
  11. “We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white.” 12. “I was bitten by a mosquito - no-one said they could bite.”
    “13. I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts.”
  12. “It’s lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during ‘siesta’ time - this should be banned.”
  13. “On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don’t like spicy food at all.”]

But perhaps it’s not just we Brits who are so beancurdishly gormless on our travels. Some of these complaints aren’t far from echoing whines about Taiwan that crop up from time to time on these forums.

Just for fun, would anyone like to have a go at making up this kind of outlandishly addle-brained complaint about Taiwan?

Here’s one for starters:

The people refuse to understand my English no matter how loudly I shout it at them.

Brits Abroad. Humph! Americans right here at home have gotten so impressively stolid that we require labels on our hair driers warning us not to use them in the shower or while sleeping. You know–you KNOW–that there was some kind of incident, preceding some kind of law suit for damages, that prompted this particular warning.

If we can be this much of a danger to ourselves at home, I think a few Brits who forgot to pack a brain, or sensitivity, are pretty small potatoes.