Brits should marry in HK?

[quote]According to my fiancee’s research, I had to submit the document to MOFA. So now maybe I don’t. But they’ve already cancelled it.
[/quote]

How did they cancel it? Did they stamp on top of it or something. I don’t see how they have the authority to do that, but I guess it’s done, so nothing you can do about it.

The thing is you were working under mistaken information. The document did not have to go to MOFA at all. Get another one (hassle, I know), get it stamped by the ‘embassy’ in London, and take it to the district court. If you’re getting married in court, I’m not quite sure fo the process (PM Iris for details perhaps), but if you’re getting married in a banquet you just need to get a couple of marriage certificates signed and witnessed and take these with you (along with all IDs, chops, passports etc) to the District Court (I think it has to be in the district where your spouse has her household registration). When they approve it (on the spot), you’re married. You then have to register it at Household Registration within a certain period of time. Then if you want the JFRV visa, that’s when you take a CCRD and all the other stuff to MOFA.

Unless you really want a trip to HK, I suggest that this would be the easiest route.

Here is a post I wrote 2 years ago, but I believe the information is still up to date.

[Getting Married in Taiwan

Brian