Broke? Make an extra $NT300 reporing "squids"

I’ve been to the Taiwan EPA website this afternoon and found this:

NT$300 Reward Offered for Reporting “Squids”

[b]The EPA promulgated revisions to the In-Use Motor Vehicle Air Pollutant Report and Reward Regulations (使用中汽車排放空氣污染物檢舉及獎勵辦法) on 23 June 2008 to increase people’s motivation and willingness to report polluting vehicles (locally referred to as “squids” for their trail of black smoke), and to provide a substantial reward for informers. The Regulations have been changed to authorize local competent authorities to appraise reports and rewards. From 1 January 2009, NT$300 will be allocated for each case reported in accordance to the rules.

Currently, EPA methods to encourage citizens to report vehicles suspected of polluting include seasonal awarding of medals, prizes, certificates of merit, banners, and plaques. Environmental agencies were responsible for looking into reported cases and verifying suspected polluting vehicles. A gift or souvenir worth up to NT$50 was offered as a reward. Those who had reported polluting vehicles frequently conveyed that this compensation was insuffi cient or impractical.

A more substantial reward is now offered to encourage informants to include a photograph in their reports. The revision authorizes the local competent authority to decide whether the reported photo can convincingly show that the suspected vehicle is polluting the air. If such a photo can be produced, regulations provide for a reward of NT$300. For tax purposes, reporters that receive this reward are required to leave their ID number with the environmental agency.

The new regulation will take effect on 1 January 2009 to provide adequate time for allocating the budget to support this policy. To prevent people from making false reports and causing problems or unnecessary disputes for reported citizens or authorities checking into cases, it has been added that polluting vehicles must be reported within 30 days of discovery. For more information, please call 02-2311-7722 ext. 2786.[/b]

Why not give up your lousy teaching job and your appallingly low salary and sit by the side of the road all day and report squids? Just do the maths. That’s good money, huh? In fact, if you pick a major artery, you might just get away with a p/t gig and still go home with a respectable tax free income?

Go here for the link: epa.gov.tw/en/NewsContent.as … NewsID=727

Could I get a work permit, y’think?

Interesting. I wonder if getting paid for this could get you deported?

Irish wrote: [quote]I wonder if getting paid for this could get you deported?[/quote]

Not if you do it through Almas John’s Foreign Squid Trawlers Agency. We assign underpaid teachers to various squid hot spots and handle all the paperwork side of things.

Wish the government would just do their job and enforce the law.

i think i just saw a semiconducting quantum interference device in the next room.

my scooter is NOT pumping excessive smoke into the atmosphere, it’s MEANT to leave a trail of smoke. if i didn’t run that much premix, it’d melt a piston again. anyone reporting me gets their squid detached from their scrotum.

Shit. This means all us street photographers are going to get our asses kicked by irate motorists.

Vorkosigan

Not if you do it through Almas John’s Foreign Squid Trawlers Agency. We assign underpaid teachers to various squid hot spots and handle all the paperwork side of things.[/quote]

Never one to miss an opportunity, my old entrepreneurial bud’, Almas John, is right there responding to the market. I for one am seriously thinking of signing up with his Foreign Squid Trawlers Squad. I wonder if he’ll assign me to ChungXiao East Road, Sec. 4, a particularly nasty hot spot, which’d be nice because I can check out all the hot babes when the traffic’s a bit slow. Way to go, Almas!

If you intersperse the squid pics with hot babe pics, do they pay more?

Isn’t that the perfect solution for taxi drivers who drive around all day long and complain about low incomes?

Oh, man, Mordeth is already set up for this, isn’t he? That boy’s gonna be riiiiiiich! :laughing:

Yes, it’s not only teacher’s whose salaries are appallingly low, but taxi drivers too. According to a survey in the Taipei Times: . . . a taxi driver earns an average monthly salary of NT$40,642 and has operational costs of NT$19,337 per month, leaving NT$21,305 in earnings. The amount was 7.4 percent less than in 2005, when fuel prices were lower.

Go here for the facts: taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003420426

Of course, the NT$300 quid reporting scheme has come at just the right time, like manna from Heaven, helping to boost the salaries of both debt-ridden taxi drivers and grossly underpaid English teachers.

While this is certainly no excuse for some of the driving behavior out there, at least it explains somehow why those taxi drivers are so desperate to find passengers, often disregarding the safety and convenience of all people around them. I don’t envy them.

Some taxi drivers however can afford to cruise around in Toyota Camrys or other bigger cars. Wonder what they make in a month.

[quote=“hannes”]

Some taxi drivers however can afford to cruise around in Toyota Camrys or other bigger cars. Wonder what they make in a month.[/quote]

I always thought the large newish cars were an investment for them. Who wants to flag a ride from a 1992 Ford Telstar taxi when they can pay the same price and ride in a 2008 Camry?

When the economy is going well, I could see how a large, new car really increases business. These days, I can imagine that a great deal of financed Teannas and Camrys are getting repoed.