Brown Sugar

(And no, I’m not talking about the jazz bar.)

I’m looking for the soft brown sugar like I’d get back home in the US. Stores here have what is called brown sugar but it is dry and gritty and doesn’t work quite the same. Anyone know where I can find the kind I’m used to? (I’ve already tried Mami Store.)

Yeah, I need some of that stuff, too. Hot oatmeal just isn’t the same without it… :frowning:

Try putting a pack of the Taiwanese variety in the microwave for about 20 seconds to start with…increase the time if it’s not enough. That works also if you have a package of brown sugar that has turned into a brick. I don’t think the texture will be exactly like the foreign variety but it might be closer.
You can also try storing it in an airtight container with a slice of bread to try to keep it moister.

Of course if you have money to burn, I’m pretty sure Wellman’s in Tiennu sells the Domino’s brand. :wink:

Thanks, ironlady. Wellman’s did indeed have brown sugar. It was behind the counter, which is why I didn’t remember it. They had C&H brand Dark and Golden Brown Sugar.

I got a box of this in the Mami store (Shida Rd.) yesterday.

I must be blind. Didn’t see it when I went early last week.

I must be blind. Didn’t see it when I went early last week.[/quote]
That’s OK. I’ll commiserate over your porr eyesight tonight as I tuck into my flan of pears poached in red wine and cinnamon with a walnut pastry case and creme fraiche. :wink:

Where on Shi-da Rd. is this Mami store? Is this the Shi-da Rd. section from Heping to Roosevelt or the one past Roosevelt?

I got a box of this in the Mami store (Shi-Da Rd.) yesterday.[/quote]

It’s between Roosevelt and Heping. Starting from Roosevelt, you walk up (northward?) towards NTNU. The Mami store is in one of the alleyways on your right as you walk in that direction. It will be on the right side of the alleyway as you walk into the alley. Sorry I can’t remember how many alleys it is up from Roosevelt. :blush:

Walking on ShiDa (west side) from Roosevelt towards Heping. Just past Wellcome supermarket. 1st major alley (NOT the morning market alley)after Wellcome, turn right. You’ll be passing an internet cafe (basement) on the corner. A bookstore is next. Then a pasta place. Mami’s is just after. Look for all the paper ads on the windows. Hope that helps.

Found it! Carrefour has it in stock! BaDe Taoyuan location.

Costco has it, too. In fact, if memory serves they have both light- and dark-brown versions available, both in ginormous 2kg, plastic bags. Not C&H, though (familiar brand and nice to see available in time for the holidays).

I’ll try and take a pic next time I’m there.

Organic stores carry brown sugar too.

We tested many brands of brown sugar here side by side for the best flavor (sampled straight, and in cookies) when we were running our baking business, and we settled on the partly clear Costco bags of a couple kg with a black label with some red, can’t recall the brand name now. I think it has a linear rose design on the label. It has dark lumps in it and when pressed through a sifter laboriously, scraping those lumps down to powder in the sifter (e.g. if you don’t want dark specks in your gingerbread cookies), the resulting, darker brown sugar has a very rich flavor compared to other brands. If you don’t care about specks or you’re just using it in coffee or on cereal, there’s no need to sift it, and it will be far cheaper than trying to buy the soft brown stuff (which, admittedly, is nice, texture-wise) from the States.

3 Likes

I like that one as well, this I believe

1 Like

For baking I prefer Carrefour’s own brand. Is cheap as well. The one with the roses is good too, but pricier. I find the COSTO one too bland.

Yup, that’s the one. Really delicious. Consider using in place of white sugar in many things.

1 Like

I bought it at carrefour before when I was baking cookies, not sure if they still sell it though