Brunch with Booze in Kaohsiung - Where is it?

As I say, it’s all they’ll have.

Well… brunch generally means breakfast / lunch in American cities too. A boozy brunch is it’s own special, marvelous thing. Some groups, brunch mean boozy brunch, and it seems more typical in some cities (hello NYC), but it’s not the general default.

Perhaps in the 1980’s, or when children are involved, but not among modern urban (and even suburban nowadays) adults.

[quote=“Poundsand, post:42, topic:200930, full:true”]A boozy brunch is it’s own special, marvelous thing.
[/quote]

Nah. Boozy brunch is brunch. At the very least you have to have booze on the menu if you want to advertise it as brunch in the US. Not everyone partakes in the booze, of course. I was very confused when I moved to Taiwan a decade ago and found “brunch” places without booze.

[quote=“Poundsand, post:42, topic:200930, full:true”]Some groups, brunch mean boozy brunch, and it seems more typical in some cities (hello NYC), but it’s not the general default.
[/quote]

It’s the general default. I wouldn’t be surprised if it started in NYC (as many such things do), but it’s all North American cities now-- even smaller ones-- and has been for quite some time. Off the top of my head based on personal experience I can say it’s at least the case in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, L.A., Denver/Boulder, Austin, Dallas, Tulsa, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Brooklyn, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and even places like Missoula, Bozeman, Asheville, Athens, Alexandria, etc.

In the Upper Midwest / Rust Belt your bloody mary often comes with a small beer as a chaser, which has working class roots.

It’s also pretty common at western bars in other Asian cities, including a few places in Taipei. Basically anywhere there are bars owned by Americans, Canadians, Brits, or Aussies.

I assumed if such a hole-in-the-wall as Oxford had it, that other places in Kaohsiung would, too, but apparently not. I suppose there’s a reason Oxford doesn’t have it anymore, and other places don’t have it for the same reason.

I’ll survive. :grin: I was just craving it when I woke up hungover on Sunday and was surprised I couldn’t find it anywhere!

(Sorry for the formatting problems. Not sure how to quote different parts of a message separately, apparently.)

1 Like

I’m in Atlanta now, just moved from LA. NY previously. Boozy brunches, I would only assume in NYC, only with some crowds, and maybe only in some areas. And just try and tell me Olio E Piú in NYC doesn’t have brunch because they don’t do your vision of a boozy brunch. Ha. :wink:

I really hope you post a picture of your brunch when/if you find it

1 Like

I have no idea what “Olio E Piu in NYC” is, but it sounds way too fancy for me.

Same goes for the expensive-hotel-in-Taiwan option, though I do appreciate those who suggested that. I’ve been to one of those before in Taipei, and it was truly impressive, but I like the more down-to-earth belly-up-to-the-bar type of thing.

By the way, a quick google search of “atlanta brunch” shows that you’re not too aware of how boozy your local brunch scene is.

Ha! Based on the responses so far, it seems I’ll be finding it in Taipei or possibly Tainan rather than Kaohsiung.

There’s plenty of it to be had. But it’s not the default - even in many places that have it available!

Taipei, if anywhere. Very much doubt you’ll have better luck in Tainan. Tainan has better TAIWANESE food than Kaohsiung. But even less Western options imo.

Okay, I just looked up Olio E Piu, and yes it does look fancy, but it also very much looks like the kind of American brunch I’m talking about, complete with omelets, benedicts, and a full bar. So to answer your question, no, I’m definitely not going to tell you that place doesn’t have brunch, because they do! Get them to open a Kaohsiung location, please. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Read the thread. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m already aware of a few spots in Taipei, and two others mentioned a spot in Tainan.

Yes, they have a bar. Not the (often bottomless) bloody mary / mimosa type of boozy brunch you’re taking about though. How boozy you getting at $17 a drink?

Little Creatures in Taipei does Western brunch with bloody Marys. For REFERENCE

3 Likes

All I’m seeing in pictures are beers, no cocktails i.e. Bloody Mary, and one brunch looking sandwich, only because it has eggs on top.

Looks like a pizza and beer joint.

Its an Australian beer and food chain, but brunch is international

3 Likes

Love brunch at Little Creatures. Definitely recommend it, the hot apple cider is great, it has a lot of alcohol in it.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a good example of one of several such places in Taipei.

1 Like

Bottomless bloody marys?! Good God, man. It’s brunch, not a frat party. One or two will do the trick just fine. Yes, $17 is steep for a cocktail, as is $16 avocado toast and everything else on the menu (hence my saying it looks fancy), but that’s Manhattan for you. This is actually a perfect example of the kind of brunch place I was talking about, and they are everywhere in the US. Thanks for helping me illustrate my point.

1 Like

Well, I was doing this in Vancouver in the early 90s, so it’s certainly not that new. And one of our favorite places was one my parents had gone to for similar events back in the late 70s, but I’m not sure what drinks were served at that time. I am sure my parents are today astonished and horrified at how much drinking and driving was accepted back then, so I suspect they were drinking more in the 70s than I was in the 90s.

Note that some people seem to be misunderstanding the booze part - as @ThaiJuan posted, it’s not a drunken adventure. It’s a drink or two in the middle of the day, the delightful sort of thing that’s impossible midweek, or at least has been since the martini lunches passed into history (what, 1975?).

I’m kind of surprised this seems like a new idea to so many people.

3 Likes

That’s… A brunch place with booze, not a boozy brunch. :wink: