Buddhist monks had better not enjoy the world cup too much

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060612/od_ … NlYwM3NTc-

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Phnom Penh patriarch Non Nget has told Cambodia’s 40,000 Buddhist monks to remain passive while watching World Cup soccer games or be defrocked.

Non Nget said Monday monks should not watch the games in public, cheer or bet on matches as such actions were against Buddhism.

“It is very difficult to ban them because new technology means the games can be aired live and seen everywhere,” he said. “They may watch, but must be calm.”

“But if they make noise or cheer as they watch, they will lose their monkhoods,” Non Nget told Reuters.

Kinda kooky. I never really considered Buddhism to have these kinds of constraints. Not that I have ever claimed to know much.
Corrupted by the world cup. Whoodathunkit?

You should watch the movie The Cup for some an alternative Buddhist perspective on this. Not all Buddhists have these kind of hardline unforgiving attitudes.

A few weeks back I went camping in kenting. In the evening, the main road in Kenting is saturated with a night market and all kinds of games people can play, the same found in most night markets.

I saw a monk playing “shoot the balloons.” You know the kind where you get an air pellet gun with ten pellets and you have to shoot ten balloons. He really sucked at it, I think he got 2 out of ten. You should have seen the smile on his face though. Priceless. I thought to myself “good for you!”

bobepine