Buddy gets 1-year ARC for "being Chinese"?

This Brit would LOVE a new passport. Any ideas?

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“the chief”]
Anywayz, the point is that tons of countries all over the world show Immigration preference for certain groups.
Nothing racist about it.
[/quote]

This Brit would LOVE a new passport. Any ideas?[/quote]

Thailand? I think I have half brothers in Thailand. Would that count?

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“the chief”]
Anywayz, the point is that tons of countries all over the world show Immigration preference for certain groups.
Nothing racist about it.
[/quote]

This Brit would LOVE a new passport. Any ideas?[/quote]

Shouldn’t have a problem in Canada, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand, right?

Reading your explanation, I am more puzzled. As OSC, you get special treatment up to the 6th generation, but you still need the paperwork. They will not just accept it by looking at you, AFAIK. Gotta look into the regulations regarding OSCs.[/quote]

When my GF at the time went to Shi Da in 94 unprompted they offered her kung foo lessons and calligraphy free of charge because she was an “Overseas Chinese”, in their opinion. Thing is, she has an English name, was adopted by an English family, and has no idea whether she’s Chinese or not. Looks vaguely SE Asian though. So, yes, it does happen without an iota of proof.

Reading your explanation, I am more puzzled. As OSC, you get special treatment up to the 6th generation, but you still need the paperwork. They will not just accept it by looking at you, AFAIK. Gotta look into the regulations regarding OSCs.[/quote]

When my GF at the time went to Shi-Da in 94 unprompted they offered her kung foo lessons and calligraphy free of charge because she was an “Overseas Chinese”, in their opinion. Thing is, she has an English name, was adopted by an English family, and has no idea whether she’s Chinese or not. Looks vaguely SE Asian though. So, yes, it does happen without an iota of proof.[/quote]

Wow, that’s pretty good, especially with her being blind and all.

I mean, erm, I just assumed…

There goes that Shift key again.

See me, previous page:

Any Jew can get an Israeli passport.
That’s what the country is for.
(FWIW, slightly less than half of all resident Israelis consider themselves religiously practicing Jews, there’s a pretty significant divide between the religion and the ethnicity)
Further, as I said, I could get a UK-based EU passport if I wanted to, based on ancestry.
AND I’d be able to keep my Canookistanian one as well.
Jason fucking Bourne or what?
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s pretty awesome. but it must be a tad annoying for those other “Israelis” - is untermensch a Yiddish word by any chance? Sort of looks like it should be - that aren’t entitled to jackshit but are forced to deal with new guards and their quirky new languages. And some of these new chums even get to kick out, sorry “transfer” the very people that have lived in that land for an eternity. That’s waaaaay cool!

[quote]A reliable friend and colleague swears that he saw the following incident in the Israeli-occupied territories a couple of years ago. A Palestinian physician, in urgent need of permission to travel, was trying to persuade a soldier at a roadblock to allow him to hurry on to the next town. He first tried the stone-faced guard in Hebrew, in which many Arabs are fluent, but he received no response. He then made an attempt in English, which is something of a local lingua franca, yet he fared no better. After an unpleasant interval of mutual noncommunication, it transpired that the only word the Israeli soldier knew was no, and the only language in which he could speak it was Russian.

The words occupation and dispossession are flung around pretty freely, but I invite you to picture a life under occupation in which your unfriendly neighborhood cop did not even speak the language of the state that he served, let alone any tongue known to you. There is, by the way, a fair likelihood that the soldier was not even Jewish; it’s an open secret in Israel that tens of thousands of Russian immigrants used forged papers as a means of exiting their country of birth, pretending to exercise the “right of return.” So here is yet another insult to heap on those whose great-great-grandparents were born in Palestine yet are treated as if they live there only on sufferance.

Yet if you are a former bouncer born in former Soviet Moldova, like Avigdor Lieberman, you can come to live in the Holy Land as of right and become the leader of a party that proposes to institute a “loyalty oath” not just to the Arab citizens of the state of Israel but to all Jewish members of religious Orthodox sects that do not declare themselves Zionist. And this grotesque party, named Israel Beiteinu or “Israel Is Our Home,” is now the power broker, and its leader is the kingmaker in the Israeli electoral process.[/quote]

HG

There goes that Shift key again.

See me, previous page:

[quote=“the chief”]
I myself could, with a little elbow grease, lay hands on BOTH an EU AND Israeli passport if I wanted to, I got no beef with that part of it.
[/quote][/quote]

I’ll try to remember the shift key; seriously, it’s not meant to imply anything. but also, not saying whether it’s racist or not, my point in bringing it up is that many countries have similar provisions, so it’s not fair for the OP to single out Taiwan alone. It’s every country’s right, right or wrong.