Buffalo town

I came to Taiwan for three years as a very young man (teenager)then never came back for 13 years.

Anyone been around long enough to remember Buffalo town ? Just curious. The first famous “foreigner disco” in Taiwan. Around 18 years ago on Linsen North road. Before the stock market was even opened and the park on Linsen never existed, but lots of quaint old Chinese houses did. It got closed down after the death of an Australian play boy.
Or how about night owl ? Anyone know the owner a guy named Shadow ?
The good ol days !!! :smiling_imp:

As I recall BT wasn’t famous as a ‘foreigner disco’. Back in those days (circa 1988) it was just about the only disco.

[quote=“fenlander”]
Anyone been around long enough to remember Buffalo town ? [/quote]

I used to hangout at Buffalo Town back between 86-88. It was ok when Gary was DJing (he had originally been at Woodstock on Teh-Hwei Street) but it went downhill after a boycott was started by foreign students at the MTC. Morons.

I remember it… But, I never went to it.

Buffalo town was popular with American Chinese. I thought it was great especially with the MTV downstairs (convenient). I loved that place actually. There was a lot of controversy about the Australian guy that “fell off the roof”.
Many said he was thrown off (12 floors, i think right ?) for banging the wrong lady. It all went down hill after that. But the ladies in there were top notch and the music was EXCELLENT for its day. Yeah great place number one lol It was replaced by Lin Wei’s Roxy 2 and whisky a go go. Not nearly as good as Buffalo.
Perhaps one of you long time wealthy guys can re-open it again ? I’ll help manage it , security, promotion etc. (any offers lol ?) Buffalo town was a great location, loved it. But may be that is just nostalgia and because it was a long time ago when i was a young kid!

Shadow’s still inside I think. I can get in touch with him if you want.

you got a pm

Yep, danced there with a military policeman who assured me it was “okay” because he was a military policeman. Back when I was even marginally cool (marginally!), about 1984. :sunglasses:

Christ, makes even me sitting back, “sucking” on a cigarettle and let the flash backs sink in about BT, Whisky a go go, the original Roxy, etc. Was at a time when it was widely accepted that foreigners and locals parked their cars outside these fine venues before driving them home in the early morning hours. Looking back, I am surprised I am still alive and thanks got never hurt anybody whilst under the influence of bottles of refreshments. Those places were good at the time, very much doubt they would find an audience big enough to make them a success again.

At least three people i know didn’t survive.
Lots of people don’t realise how more advanced Taipei is now compared back to then. Yeah it was the wild west alright, i guess that is why they called it buffallo town. I don’t think clubs had been legal for long, that is why the military policeman said to the lady it was alright to dance because he was a cop.
There was another club on Roosevelt next to TOP club ( before Top). That was kind of the “cool” people’s hang out place. It had three or four floors on it. Even table tennis could be played while drinking and you could watch a movie on the Top floor. The swimming pool at whisky ago go was great although i bet it would be against health and safety these days.
Anyways don’t want to go on too long or i will end up souinding like a seaman grandpa and i’m only 37
If any of you guys walk down Linsen again perhaps check out if the same building is still there, i’d be interested to know.

That would have been Roxy, after it moved from Gongguan.

[quote=“fenlander”]Yeah it was the wild west alright, i guess that is why they called it buffallo town. I don’t think clubs had been legal for long, that is why the military policeman said to the lady it was alright to dance because he was a cop.
[/quote]

It seems every club you’d go to there would be a bunch of “off duty” cops dancing and hanging out. I wasn’t really impressed with BT, but that’s probably because when I checked it out it had already started to fizzle. I was more of a KISS person anyway.

That would have been Roxy, after it moved from Gongguan.[/quote]

AC/DC was down on Roosevelt also…but that was before the Roxy.

AC/DC is what I meant. The fog is closing in.

Getting old sucks, doesn’t it? :laughing:

yeah ACDC is what i meant to say. Yes getting old can suck but we are considered more mature now ! just remember more mature not older.
Basically buffalo town was for the sleaazy crowd like me and kiss was for the posers.
ACDC was just for the smokeeeeeeeee mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
yeah mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn cool no man, it’s the CIA man yeah mannnnnn

So come on and let me know if ceasar and birdland are still around. I heard some music piping out from his place so was banging on the door and no one opened. Just the thud thud thud of a doors album and the greatful dead etc so i guessed that must of been him or what was him. Anyways no one answered so i wondered back into Chungshiou east road, and never went back. May be i will give it another try sometime! May be !

And the Buxiban…