Building guards, tipping or monthy envelope or anything?

In contrast to the other guy with the useless guard in his building, the ones in mine are generally pretty decent, and one is really a fantastic kid.

Am I supposed to be giving them a monthly stipend, or a new year’s gift, or anything like that? I’ve been bringing the one kid occasional treats (I’ve found a couple of GOOD bakeries in Taipei, not the Taiwanese-run ones that all smell like blech), but don’t know what the customs are.

Nothing says Xmas like beetle nuts: they’re green, they turn red, and is given by a white guy…all the colors of the season are represented :thumbsup:

[quote=“Impaler”]In contrast to the other guy with the useless guard in his building, the ones in mine are generally pretty decent, and one is really a fantastic kid.

Am I supposed to be giving them a monthly stipend, or a new year’s gift, or anything like that? I’ve been bringing the one kid occasional treats (I’ve found a couple of GOOD bakeries in Taipei, not the Taiwanese-run ones that all smell like blech), but don’t know what the customs are.[/quote]

I am also fortunate and we have great Security in our Building. I also love driving directly towards them when they are waving their light batons,unfortunately they just laugh now without flinching. However there are 4 different guys so it would be awkward tiping just one. Last year i had a fishing rod and lowered (from 4th floor) cans of beer to them.Building management not impressed even on Xmas day, but Security guys were happy…they deserve a little something but its not expected.You seem to be doing the right thing with a few small gifts and i am sure they appreciate it. :2cents:

Hahaha! :smiley:

It might be unbelievable in Taiwan but not everyone likes them, though. My former guard didn’t. So you maybe check it out first. :wink:

I give them each a hong bao at CNY.

My employer gives out mooncakes, etc. at different holidays, and since I could never eat all of them I just give the whole box to the guards. Most of them in my complex are friendly. A couple of times I’ve given my favorite guard a latte when I picked up one for myself.

I don’t know if giving hong baos are the custom. If they aren’t the custom and you decide to give them, I’m sure they’d be appreciated. If they are the custom and you don’t give them, I have a feeling it’s no big deal because they may just assume you don’t know any better since you’re a foreigner.