Building inspectors?

Does anyone know if it is possible to hire a building inspector here in Taipei to examine an apartment? If so, could you please pass along a name and number of a building inspector you trust.

I know that in North America it is quite common for people to employ the services of a home inspector before they buy a home. I do not know if this is common or possible in Taipei. From some of the people I’ve talked to here, it doesn’t seem common.

I am considering buying an apartment, but before I spend so much money, I would like to have someone look over the place and the 30-year-old building it is in.

Thanks for the help.

Do some searches around buying houses. I had a hell of a time with no understanding of the locals.

Here are just a few unusual goings on.

1. When you buy a property its not really purchased until the final money is paid. Somebody could pay more and the seller would give you your money back. (I was told this and disgusted by it, don’t know if it really happens)

2. They will rip out anything and take it with them if possible. If they could take the bloody concrete I’m sure you could end up with just a space where your building was.

3. Nothing seems to be built with permanence in mind. In the west we know a property will increase in value. Here the land increases in value alright (or fluctuates with demand and supply) but the buildings are thought of like cars that wear out and then have no value.

So, someone could help you here with a building inspector. I saw your post yesterday and waited rather than wade in with my jaundiced view of the whole thing. (Hope somebody can supply info)

Do “Building Inspectors”, “Building Code Enforcement” people or “Code Inspectors” even exist on Taiwan?

Seriously, do these people exist here on a city, state or even federal level?

Code enforcement looks to me to be the same as driving law enforcement.

I would like to know about this from someone with the real answers.
I have some building/structural repair ites in mind and have been wondering about this issue.

You can hire a professional inspector.
My friend, searched online and found 3 companies that offer this
service. Not only could they assess earthquake safety, but also many
other building problems. I believe a list of building problems that are
unrepaired is valuable information I need to have if I’m going to live
there for many years. The cost is 10,000- 15,000 NT. Well worth it. If
the owner chooses to not fix such issues then there is a case to lower
the rent price or provide us with written assurances that we did not
cause such damage and need not pay for it. Here are the links to the
companies:1 . http://goodanswer.pixnet.net/blog
base in Taichung from Da-Li

1. http://www.housecare.com.tw/contact.html
    From Taipei

2. http://www.homewell.tw/05/index-05.htm
    From Shinchu

The
wall, ceiling , power line, the pipe line, the toilet pipe. parking
space’s ceiling and wall and fire alarm system, the building’s accident
insurance are all much more important and hidden than a few minor cracks
in the wall. Anyone know of any other companies like these? Let’s post
them online so more people have the info!