Building on agricultural land

That’s not recognised in Taiwan. You have to be like Lady Gaga

Born This Way

makes swooping dramatic hand gesture
:vulcan_salute: :palm_up_hand: :palm_down_hand: :ok_hand: :point_right: :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed: :clap: :heart_hands:

That’s the thing that gets me. So much land around me is lying there totally unused. No farming, no building, just lying empty for years with a ‘for sale’ sign. Nothing but weeds and the occasional stray dog. It’s so wasteful. I’d fill part of it with trees and a house which suited the surroundings, then have the rest farmed. Win-win for the community.

1 Like

It’s all over the east coast in Hualien and Taitung counties. As long as you’re out of a town you’ll see land for sale everywhere.

1 Like

Roughly where are you located if you don’t mind offering?

Jd has a thread…

Perhaps the idea of building on farmland is for storage facilities and not an actual house to live. If what you are proposing becomes legal what is to stop the real estate sharks to buy up all the farmland, build a house, then sell the remaining farmland and the house and keep repeating

There is a provision for building homes, storage is classed differently.

there’s a litany of things to keep in mind, tho. Not limited to:

Size: 756 ping minimum, type 1 or 2 farmland.

Property lines on the road will decrease overall land size and may affect the house you want to build to replace the 13 ping shed.

Water/electric and road access. I just found a nice piece of land for a good price but middle of a big field with no road access. That would be on you to do, and no road? No shed; ergo, no house.

Agent: they seem to string you along and tell you what you want to hear until you reach a breaking point in negotiations. We signed a contract, put down a retainer and made an offer and then the agent told us that the property line was on the road and we called the government to confirm. No deal. The 756 seems to be a hard rule.

Agents don’t appear willing to answer the crucial questions upfront. it’s somewhat demoralizing that they all seem to start at square one, even when you ask square 23 questions, like can I build a house here after the two year farming bit?

And a minor thing is finding the location on google maps. We have to ask several times before we can get a pin dropped. Many agents aren’t actual representatives of sellers. They’re glom-ons. I just walked through a house and during the visit the owner called and threatened to call the police
And have us arrested for trespassing.

Owners: seem mostly to be ignorant shitheads. They have little idea of what they actually own, what rules and laws apply and are utterly unwilling to provide information until an actual offer is made and they have to supply legal documentation.

So yeah, the land is there. And it’s for sale, but there are big buts everywhere.

6 Likes

I was briefly excited as I started exploring nice and convenient areas full of overgrown gates and ruins, or just new growth mostly bamboo, for sale signs everywhere. Looking up the official valuation, wow what great deals. But the price is low because the government doesn’t make it worth your while to buy it. Plus all the other problems.

1 Like

I get the feeling that the real-estate market is heavily manipulated here - possibly a holdover from the bad old KMT days when everything was rigged to ensure that political favourites owned pretty much everything. It’s hard to acquire land, and the litany of rules that you face - not just in terms of acquisition but also operation - is just soul-destroying. It’s honestly worse than Elbonia; at least there enforcement is erratic.

1 Like