BULK cinnamon at a good price?

I know you can get ground cinnamon in tiny bottles for something in the range of $50 to $99 all around town, but I’m looking for the stuff in BIG jars (likethe large spices at Costco), in the US available for a much more reasonable NT$127 for 18 oz., or in large bags or loose, at a discount rate, like a half kilo. Has anyone seen anything like that in Taibei? I would also like some ginger powder, nutmeg, clove powder and allspice in those quantities.

How about that Indian shop by City Hall MRT?

You tried the baking store at 125 Minle street (next street to Dihua Street?)

Thanks – I was thinking of that Indian shop too, although I don’t remember seeing bulk cinnamon. I do remember other bulk spices like coriander seeds, and curries.

Dihua St. is far, far away but I might try there next.

The baking shops by the bridge and in Nangang only have the small, overpriced jars. The former didn’t even have any cinnamon sticks. And neither the Nangang shop nor Jason’s had allspice, not even in small jars. I think Wellman’s carries it, but again, that’s a long trek, and just small jars at high prices.

I want to make salt-dough cookie ornaments for the tree and/or for a hanging Christmas mobile, with TONS of spice in them so that they act as air fresheners and so they don’t mold. :smiley:

125 Minle has what you need. I see spices in HUGE bags in their back room. I also see large jars of cinnamon at Costco. Not sure about the others though. Without a doubt, you need to find a DIY baking store. There are several posted.

Thanks! :notworthy:

My girlfriend is in the catering business and she buys quite a lot of supplies from Dihua Street. She does get her cinnamon there. I drink several cups of it every day in a bid to regulate my blood sugar.

Just back from 125 Minle. They did not have bulk cinnamon (I asked), nor did they have allspice, or even flour (!). Very strange for a baking supply store. They pointed me to the Chinese medicine wholesaler three doors down for the cinnamon, where I got a hefty bag at a reasonable price.

In general, I’ll add that I like the DIY baking supply shop at the Minquan bridge the best. They have large bags of flour at around 100 NT for 3kg. But it was still good to check out the Dihua St. shop.

Anyway, thanks again for that address! :slight_smile:

How come the things you make still smell of cinnamon after they’re done? Doesn’t the smell go away after you paint them? I’d do it for the baby mobiles I’m making, but i don’t see the point of adding cinnamon or whatever if I have to cover the things with paint (glow-in-the-dark, by the way, or metalflake in various colours, $365 for about 8 little pots at Carrefour.)

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
I want to make salt-dough cookie ornaments for the tree and/or for a hanging Christmas mobile, with TONS of spice in them so that they act as air fresheners and so they don’t mold. :smiley:[/quote]

[quote=“sandman”]
I’d do it for the baby mobiles I’m making, but I don’t see the point of adding cinnamon or whatever if I have to cover the things with paint (glow-in-the-dark, by the way, or metalflake in various colours, $365 for about 8 little pots at Carrefour.)[/quote]

Oh fuck me, and
The Battle for

[color=#FF00FF]GHEY-est Post of the Year[/color]

is on!!!

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Dragonbones”]
I want to make salt-dough cookie ornaments for the tree and/or for a hanging Christmas mobile, with TONS of spice in them so that they act as air fresheners and so they don’t mold. :smiley:[/quote]

[quote=“sandman”]
I’d do it for the baby mobiles I’m making, but I don’t see the point of adding cinnamon or whatever if I have to cover the things with paint (glow-in-the-dark, by the way, or metalflake in various colours, $365 for about 8 little pots at Carrefour.)[/quote]

Oh fuck me, and
The Battle for

[color=#FF00FF]GHEY-est Post of the Year[/color]

is on!!![/quote]

just sit your little bottom down for a teensy piece of the action!

I’m not painting them. They’ll be Christmas tree ornaments in the typical holiday cookie shapes, like gingerbread men, reindeer, etc., maybe with one of the reindeer abusing the chief, and they might have royal icing decorations added, like the eyes, nose, mouth, buttons etc. I figure the bare gingerbread color with a bit of white icing, and the odd silver ball, red ribbon etc. here and there will look classy on a dark green tree.

Anyway, you can do colors by adding food coloring into the dough, or just paint selected areas.

I saw one recipe for these that was just a 1:1 mix of cinnamon and applesauce, but I’m going to try it with a basic gingerbread dough first, and just swap cinnamon for a third or half the flour.

Would anyone really mind if I were to just to touch the chief’s bottom. Just for a minute or two. In the true spirit of Gheyness and all.
HAH! Chief! I’m a’making thingies in the oven. Wearing a pinnie, too. With flowers. I’m making a chief-shaped one, too. It’ll be basically be round. HAH!

What do you want with bulk cinnamon when you’ve got bulk ginger to keep your feet warm at night? That fatty should be enough for you not to want to come and steal mine too! :slight_smile:

:laughing: We never get enough of Cinnamon.