Bush considers changes to Posse Comitatus Act

Bush wants more power for the military:

Both right and left wary of giving domestic police power to military
By STEWART M. POWELL
Copyright 2005 Hearst News Service

WASHINGTON - The law is from a bygone era, it has a Latin name and it’s never led to a prosecution, much less a conviction.

Yet the mere hint that President Bush might try to tinker with the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act is stirring opposition across the political spectrum, prompting conservative and liberal activists to line up against any move that would empower U.S. troops to shoot or arrest civilian looters in the chaotic aftermath of national disasters.

Read the rest here:

chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp … cs/3377358

I’m sure glad he’s finally getting some posse.

I see this as a response of course to New Orleans. Sending the troops in to secure the area would be a good idea. In case of another massive natural disaster or a concentrated attack on one region or city.

The point here I imagine is to keep the integrity of the city/area and not allow it to devolve.

I’m sure there are 100 things wrong with doing this, the least of which is any president having the power to deploy troops within the US without consultation.

What I think its purpose is is to secure and maintain an area until people can safely go back in and resettle it.

jdupintheair

Be careful what you wish for…you just might get it.

This is a bad outcome of N.O. Why not have the two dept. that are supposed to deal with this business do what they are supposed to do?

Posse Comitatus Act. Is that like a group of vengeful people shagging someone while their asleep? Doesn’t sound good.

More seriously, I guess he has to be seen to be doing something after (and despite Fred’s constant bleating to the contrary) he was PERCEIVED to have failed so dismally in the post-Katerina balls up.

Bit like Johnny (get yer gun) Howard, the answers to problems always seem to involve using soldiers.

HG

Exactly.

Well, all of you who bitched about how Bush didn’t wrest control away from Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin for their abject failure to get anything right – this is why he didn’t. It was against the Posse Comitatus law.

In discussing this with a European bloke a few weeks ago, he expressed amazement that there was any difficulty in having federal troops take over. Guess what? There are laws to prevent that in the U.S.

This law needs to be changed in order for Bush to tell a posturing nincompoop of a Democrat governor to get out of the way when she is allowing a major metropolitan area to be destroyed so that she can have her moment in the “sun”.

Whether it is a good idea or not, whether it should be changed, is another issue. In order for Bush to have done it, the law would have to be different.

Now, of course, all of the attack weasels who didn’t comprehend American law and who don’t have a clue about governmental structure in the U.S. are going to go screaming around and wrapping their heads in tinfoil over Bush’s “mad power grab”.