Bush doesn't support TI

[quote=“cctang”][quote=“mr_boogie”]
In the guys own story, he went to China to make a clothing company and owned a company (60%) while a bank owned the rest. Then someone (didn’t catch if it was the bank or the government) stopped the cash coming in, the employees went on strike because there was no sallary and the company was sold for .3% of it’s value the next day to a taxi driver. All this also happen while he was out of town. [/quote]
Sorry, what was the point of your story? Don’t start a company if you don’t have a sure source of cash flow? Great idea anywhere in the world, if you ask me.

I don’t know if you really are a businessman, but you sure don’t talk like one. Banks don’t voluntarily take equity positions in businesses. By definition and design, they aren’t in the business of taking on risky assets that aren’t backed by collateral.

Second, I guess I’m a little stunned you believe that this clothing “company” was “sold the next day” to a passing taxi driver. Just what kind of a company are we talking about here? A retail outlet, or some sort of a manufacturing business? Why would this person be in a rush to sell “the next day” for 0.3% of its actual book value? Why didn’t he just say, say, wait 2 days and find try to someone willing to pay 0.4% of the actual book value? And for that matter, what kind of a taxi driver throws out money to buy a clothing “company” after less than a day of analysis of its business potential?

And third, why did this businessman borrow from Chinese banks at all? Why didn’t he tap international capital, either through Hong Kong or other markets? (I know why he didn’t tap Taiwanese banks: they aren’t available on the mainland.) If it was a cash-flow issue, why was he so highly leveraged that he’s dependent on a single source? And could be forced into bankrupcy by a single unilateral decision?

Fourth, please tell me where I can start a business, where the government will protect me from my idiocy? I’d be very interested in investing in any market where I can run out of cash, not pay my employees, and still be able to create a successful business.

And finally, who really cares whether you invest on the mainland? Seriously, who cares? There’s tens of billions of dollars flowing into the mainland on an annual basis, and far more sophisicated international businesses are making money hand over fist. Mainland China must be doing something right, wouldn’t you say? If you’re afraid of a market that you apparently know nothing about… well, will anyone even notice?[/quote]

ooh burn.

Look, I’d like to see your link to the story before I comment on it. That said, there certainly are stories of unfortunate saps losing tons of money trying to make a success in China. Lots of Chinese know this, and so they con people. But then again, these are old stories in every place. Sucker born every second, and conmen everywhere.

So what else is new? But for every con story, there’s a success story in China, whether it is the mainlanders themselves, overseas Chinese, or foreigners.

It was probably a story being translated for the Epoch times. Any businessman knows there is a problem if a company is borrowing money to pay salaries.

Usually if a business cannot get by on day to day without a bank loan, there is something terribly wrong with the fundimentals.

Acquiring outside capital is usually meant to expand a business, not pay for day to day expenses.

Well, this was going on on SET TV and I was getting only pieces of all the things there. The question was that that company went to court and was immediatly comdemned to be sold in auction - without the proper owner being there. The guy said he couldn’t confirm if there where connections between all the people involved, but as connections are the base of the chinese culture, we can assume it.
Anyway, from what I understood also, the other owner of the company was either the regional government or a bank, because the taiwanese bizman was lured there because of the “free land” policy. I cannot tell exactly if it was the bank who was also associate who didn’t let the cash go to the company (and I know many ways for them to do that) or something else, but the truth is that the guy sayd that it was all extremelly fast - from the moment he was without money to pay sallaries to the moment his company was auctioned.

Now that part of the story has the ring of truth to it.

Mainland China is very, very sensitive to the question of migrant workers not receiving their salaries. The system is setup in a way that really puts their interests at risk. For many migrant workers, they work 12 months without receiving any actual pay. They receive room and board. At the end of the year, they should receive their salaries for the entire year in a single bulk payment… at which point they’d take their cash home to their villages.

The system worked out this way because, well, quite frankly, for many years the employers held all the power. Employees were commodities, and they weren’t in a position to demand anything else. Besides, they really didn’t need their paychecks from January-December, because they weren’t going to spend any of it anyways. This allow employers to leverage for growth dramatically… think about it, bid for projects, get your employees to work their butts off for 364 days, and not have to pay a dime of payroll beyond stocking the cafeteria.

But starting about 3-4 years ago, this turned into a real social dilemma when bosses started disappearing right around the Lunar New Year period. Sometimes, this was because of out-right fraud. Often, it was because these bosses took high-risk projects with their employees’ money. If the project didn’t pay off, if they didn’t get paid (or at least not enough)… the ones who lose out are the most vulnerable. The result of all this were numerous public suicides, protests by migrant workers who had worked all year for literally nothing.

So, new government offices don’t take kindly to this kind of stuff, any more. Play games with the lives of thousands of workers, and you’re going to get burned.

So, did the boss in this story accidentally “forget” to make payroll? This guy was away from the factory at this critical point because he wanted to be. He was probably hoping the migrant workers would eventually give up trying to track him down, and go home. In the mean time, maybe he can still sell his assets to someone else… who comes in and starts the same business up again, under a different name, with a different group of migrant yokels. C’mon, these employees probably got cents on the dollar for their hardwork… if it was possible to wait any longer, they would’ve waited for the business to get back on its feet so they could be paid what they were due.

And “free land” policy refers to exactly that… free land (and often low-taxes, subsidized water + electricity + utilities), offered by business parks throughout China. There’s no reason “free land” from the government would turn into part ownership of your business, not unless you avoid paying whatever taxes + debts you have to the government, too.

There’s plenty of bad business in China; this is balanced by the tremendous opportunities for GOOD business in China. Your original tale sounds like the hysterical, exaggerated version of a true event.

Well, cc, I’m not hysterical, but I can tell you the only way my company would open a branch in this part of the world was by sending people here - the level of trust we have in chinaes and taiwanese is as low as you can imagine (even people from Naples are more trustworthy).
I know there are many good business in China, but how many of these are embezzled? Isn’t it true that the “big four” acocuntacy firms are doing a lot of risk assesment in China because of this embezzlement? How good are the numbers that come from China when the own government numbers are not trustworthy.

Well the truth is that we are allready very far away from the topic.
IMO, Bush has done something like MA - he said something meaning nothing. US cannot openly support TI even if it means supporting the only democracy in a ethnical chinese country. IMO, Bush supports democracy as much as I support communism… :smiley: - But the truth is that the US are feeling themselves constrained by the way China is doing things - and the message that passed was that the US government will not bow down to China’s interest. :bravo: for mr Bush in that aspect, because US has to maintain it’s position of dominant power. If Mr. Hu was not happy with the words from Bush that is his own problem, so I consider a small victory (and a big oxygen bottle for CSB). The truth is that even if Bush does not support openly TI, it does not condemn it. It is a good ambiguity for Taiwan, as now they know exactly that US are not against Independence (neither they can be, because they signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the Self-Determination Right is there).

It’s interesting that it was Bush’s father, as ambassador to the UN, who tried hard to prevent the PRC’s entry and the ROC’s expulsion in 1971. Nixon and Kissinger had other plans, of course. Apparently Bush 1 was miffed by the outcome. I wonder what he is telling the Shrub these days.

You forgot Bush Sr. was unofficial ambassador to the PRC after the fact (under Ford) and built up a good relationship with Deng Xiaoping. That’s also when Bush Jr. first lived in Beijing.

Well, aren’t the bushes know to bend to where the wind blows???

Jeez, I don’t think he can spell TI, never mind support it…

This statement was made by a US President that stated “Republic of Taiwan,” and is precieved to have instigated 2 wars based on his “gut” feelings. So I don’t believe this individual lacks the “courage” to impose his political idealogy on the rest of us.[/quote]Answer the damn question.

That’s right. Thanks. Still, Kissinger was the one running things at that point. As far as Bush Sr.'s relationship with Deng goes, I suppose the thing to discuss would be the US response to Tiananmen.

How did Bush Jr. occupy himself while visiting Dad in 1975? By “trying to date Chinese women (unsuccessfully),” according to Nicholas Kristoff.

nytimes.com/2000/10/29/polit … fd&ei=5070

Pretty mild measured by Congressional demands to impose full economic sanctions, etc. Bush Sr. believed it was better to remain engaged because he realized the long-term goal of China’s opening up had not changed. Now Deng, being the architect of China’s opening up, might have had something to do with making such an impression on Bush Sr.

I also forgot to mention previously, that Deng was also the architect of One Country Two Systems and the originator of China’s current Taiwan policy. I think Bush Sr. had learned a lot from his time in China about China’s goals and how China works – that is a good thing for US-China relations.

[quote]How did Bush Jr. occupy himself while visiting Dad in 1975? By “trying to date Chinese women (unsuccessfully),” according to Nicholas Kristoff.

nytimes.com/2000/10/29/polit … fd&ei=5070[/quote]

Well, in those times, people would have been scared off by such things. Even between Chinese, dating was kind of done away from prying eyes.