Bush Takes His Eye Off the Ball? Looking Pretty Good to Me!

[quote]PESHAWAR, Pakistan

probably a lucky shot

No kidding. You throw enough fire power around, you’re bound to hit something deemed a target.

And how many top 5 operatives are there?

:laughing: So what? The point is, we got him.

Uh, I suppose there are 5.

This isn’t rocket science, you know. If we kill #2, #3 takes his place and #4 moves up to the #3 spot, and #5 moves up to the #4 spot, and #6 moves up to the #5 spot, and so on and so on… Until there are less than 5 members of al Qaeda, there will always be a top 5…

Sheesh… :unamused:

[quote=“Tigerman”]

This isn’t rocket science, you know. If we kill #2, #3 takes his place and #4 moves up to the #3 spot, and #5 moves up to the #4 spot, and #6 moves up to the #5 spot, and so on and so on… Until there are less than 5 members of al Qaeda, there will always be a top 5…
Sheesh… :unamused:[/quote]

Sheesh! I totally missed that! :blush:

Playbook! Where’s the playbook??! :wink:

First I hear that they got him, then I hear they don’t actually know. Then I hear again that they did, in fact, get him, then (today) I hear…

US official says can’t confirm top al Qaeda death
Updated: 1:00 p.m. ET Dec. 4, 2005

I guess we’ll wait and see…

hmmm, lets see?

at this rate, we will only have to sacrifice 10,000 american soldiers to get all of the top 5 al queda operatives…

seems like a bargain to me.

[quote=“Hondu Grease”]hmmm, lets see?

at this rate, we will only have to sacrifice 10,000 American soldiers to get all of the top 5 al queda operatives…

seems like a bargain to me.[/quote]
Indeed. A top al queda operative (might have been) taken out. But oops… another one just slipped in his place. Yeah, that’s progress. Way to go, Bush.

Meanwhile, 911 commission members said today that the United States is at great risk for more terrorist attacks because Congress and the White House have failed to enact several strong security measures

Is Bush keeping his eye on the ball? I question whether Bush even knows what game we’re playing.

Uh, I suppose there are 5.

This isn’t rocket science, you know. If we kill #2, #3 takes his place and #4 moves up to the #3 spot, and #5 moves up to the #4 spot, and #6 moves up to the #5 spot, and so on and so on… Until there are less than 5 members of al Qaeda, there will always be a top 5…[/quote]

I always thought it was rather silly the folks who tried to trumpet in these threads how we had captured or killed 75% of Al Qaeda’s leadership, an idea that revolved around several pretty goofy notions of how much we know about Al Qaeda and how such terror organizations work. The manager of a glass factory might as well issue vague proclamations about how he had “destroyed” some set percentage of the world’s sand.

Exactly right mofangongren. Did you catch this news story on Saturday:

[quote]a new study released on Thursday says that despite US claims of progress in quelling the insurgency in Iraq, it remains as robust as ever – and could grow a good deal stronger.

The study by two veteran defense analysts working for the Washington Institute for Near East Policy also said the US operation in Iraq was at a “tipping point” that will last for six to nine months.

“I think the outcome of this tipping period is probably going to dictate whether or not the US effort in Iraq succeeds or fails,” analyst Jeffrey White said at a lunch unveiling the report.

The study said the insurgency, comprised of nationalists, members of Saddam Hussein’s toppled regime and foreign Islamic fighters, showed no sign of losing steam 32 months after the US-led invasion.

“Although thousands of insurgents have been killed and tens of thousands of Iraqis have been detained … incident and casualty data reinforce the impression that the insurgency is as robust and lethal as ever,” it said.

Moreover, the researchers said, the insurgency has managed to exploit only a fraction of the disgruntled minority Sunni Muslim population with any kind of military training.

Should the insurgency succeed in exploiting this untapped potential, it could greatly increase its military capabilities,” they wrote.

The report was prepared by White, who spent 34 years at the Pentagon’s Defense Intelligence Agency, and Michael Eisenstadt, a former civilian-military analyst with the US army.

The tone contrasted with the assertion in the “national strategy for victory in Iraq” unveiled by Bush on Wednesday that US forces were making “significant progress” in containing the insurgency.[/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/world/a … 2003282815

Well, my understanding is that Zarqawi’s popularity and appeal is at an all-time low, after having taken his fight to Iraqi and Jordanian civilians. The Sunni clerics in Iraq are now urging Sunnis to vote in the upcoming election as a “sacred duty” and Sunni voter registration has significantly increased in the run-up to the election.

If the Sunnis do buy into the notion of democratic reform, as they appear to be doing more and more, what does Zarqawi have to offer? How can he sustain his movement in Iraq?

Am I the only one that almost detects glee when we face setbacks from certain “concerned” posters?

Let’s face it. The War on Drugs ain’t won and the mafia is as strong as ever in the US but we keep fighting them as well. Why? Difference is that there is no chance the mafia is going to take over or subvert the leadership of the US soon.

So yes the insurgency continues. Any chance they will “take over” Iraq? Don’t think so. We are in a northern Ireland situation but the difference is that there is nothing that the insurgents can deliver except what? dictatorship? More Saddam or someone like him? The Iraqis voted in great numbers and for a democratically elected government that wants us there. If Germany and Korea and Japan can keep US troops despite “protests” why not Iraq?

Let’s hope that AQ continues to show their true face and continue to score own goals.

In that, they are our best ally.

What did Bush have to do with it ? Wouldn’t he have been writing some laws or picking out a tie at the time ?

[quote]PESHAWAR, Pakistan

Candygram for Hamza Rabia…Mr. Rabia…Candygram…

+ = Vacancy in the Al Qieda network.

Precision targeting put the Hellfire II right thru the window into the room the terrs were in. Visual confirmation of target and laser guidance put it in the hole. And reports were no collateral injuries.

“You can run, but you’ll just die tired.”

[quote=“fred smith”]
Let’s face it. The War on Drugs ain’t won and the mafia is as strong as ever in the US but we keep fighting them as well. [/quote]

The church, the government, and the mafia.
All three take your money.
But only the mafia gives you what you paid for.

why Toetag. That was kinda funny…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Candygram for Hamza Rabia…Mr. Rabia…Candygram…

+ = Vacancy in the Al Qieda network.

Precision targeting put the Hellfire II right through the window into the room the terrs were in. Visual confirmation of target and laser guidance put it in the hole. And reports were no collateral injuries.

“You can run, but you’ll just die tired.”[/quote]

And only $65,000 per unit. Screw Africa, keep building those toys.

And I’d say that money was much better spent than the money that was spent on some folks’ educations.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Exactly right mofangongren. Did you catch this news story on Saturday:

taipeitimes.com/News/world/a … 2003282815[/quote]

Interesting article. As a good friend serving in Iraq mentioned, their machine guns punch through the brick walls of three houses in a row, a factor that gets me thinking of how inner city residents in America used to sleep in their bathtubs because of the bullets flying about on the streets outside. If you’re an unemployed and angry Iraqi, then having an American machine gun shred your kids in your own home might be a “tipping point” to joining the insurgency.