Bush vetoes stem cell research

MikeN, to suggest that stem cell research is ‘chopping up babies’ is just moronic. Editted by mod: no name calling please.

No, that’s the point of view of people who disagree with embryonic stem cell research;
the Catholic Church among many others.

I disagree with them, but I respect their views.

What IS moronic is to say that stem cell research is chopping up babies (“the taking of
innocent human life”) but allowing, or at least not even trying to stop, private or state groups to do it; it’s also either moronic or hypocritical to think that fertilised eggs are babies but condone a process that necessarily means that hundreds of thousands of “babies” will be created preordained to be killed.

Again, the Catholic Church opposes this, and I respect their point of view- “the seamless web of life”- while disagreeing with it.

But people who support Bush’s position on this have either not thought it through clearly ( I apologise if I implied anyone who disagreed was “stupid” *) or are being dishonest for political advantage. Would someone actually be so evil as to do that???- I mean, with snowflake babies? :frowning: :astonished: :frowning:

• Note: this does not apply to Dubbya; before 9/11 we were solemnly assured that this was his greatest moral test and he had delved deeply into the matter and wrestled with the issues. So in his case it’s either fool or slimeball.

I disagree with Bush on this issue. However, I also disagree with your statement above. I think there is plenty of contradiction in thinking by all parties when the debate turns on the unborn. Just look at the California penal code, which deems it a criminal offense (murder) when an assailant kills a fetus in its mother’s womb… yet allows that same fetus to be aborted by a physician.

Why? Because he believes in something? :s

In the case of the fetus being killed by an assailant, it’s pretty safe to assume that the woman intended for the fetus to come to term; in an abortion the woman does not. This is consistent with the idea that the fetus has no rights other than those granted to it by the woman in whom it is gestating.

So, the fetus is like property to the mother? She can decide to keep it or get rid of it, as she pleases?

In that case, why not deem the killing by an assailant as a robbery or as destruction of property rather than as murder?

I’m not certain that the thinking is as consistent as you think it is.

[quote=“Tigerman”]n.

Why? Because he believes in something? :s[/quote]

What does he believe in? That zygotes are human beings? Sure sounds like it from his statements about “the taking of innocent human life.”

So, his belief is that babies should not be killed with the aid of federal funds, but he will not try to stop babies being killed by state and private funds, and that he has no objection to the murder of hundreds of thousands of babies at fertility clinics.

Depends on what a person believes, right?

If someone believes that aliens were invading and the only way to stop them it to nuke China, that would make the person a fool because of something he believes in.

Depends on what a person believes, right?

If someone believes that aliens were invading and the only way to stop them it to nuke China, that would make the person a fool because of something he believes in.[/quote]

You people just don’t understand right wing culture. :slight_smile:

Oh, grow up, please! :unamused:

I don’t know what “right-wing” culture is… but, I know that when I visit the US I am viewed as decidedly left of right.

It isn’t very smart to try to label people in such a way when discussing these issues. I don’t support abortion rights, but neither do I seek to have all power over a woman’s body taken from her… and neither do I support capital punishment. Moreover, I disagree with Bush’s veto re stem cells. I guess I don’t really fit the mold you are attempting to cast. So, you can take your lame attempt at political humor and toss it. :unamused:

Oh, grow up, please! :unamused:

I don’t know what “right-wing” culture is… but, I know that when I visit the US I am viewed as decidedly left of right.:[/quote]

Dude you just don’t understand American culture. Everyone has a box to be in. Find yours. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Since only 128 out of 400,000 snowflake babies have been implanted so far, here’s a plan for what to do with the rest:

static.flickr.com/73/197959610_a45f1ff056.jpg
imperialstormtroopers

Hey, buffer troops in Lebanon, enough for Iraq/ Iran/Afghanistan/Nextistan…