Bushiban license - timeline?

Hi,

Yesterday my boss unexpectedly told us that she is going to close her small bushiban (50 students) and turn it into a kindergarten. She already has a purpose build kindergarten next door, and she has decided that she can make a bigger profit by having a second kindergarten.

I was quite surprised, especially after signing another 3 year contract with them 4 months ago, but I have been in Taiwan long enough and should not really be that surprised.

Anyway, so we have about 50 students. The local math teacher and I have both worked there for just over a year, and in that time we have worked hard to get a good reputation. We both have new students, some word-of-mouth walk-ins, and some referrals from our current students.

We (the math teacher, the bushiban teacher and I) decided that we want to try and keep the students and open a small bushiban ourselves. It would be a simple arrangement where we share the costs and general duties, but each have our own classroom and take the income from our classes.

It is a gamble, but we hope that by keeping the same teachers, slightly lower prices, and the same timetable, we could keep most of the students.

The students will be told at the end of May, and the school with close at the end of June. This gives us 1 month to get ready and give the parents a 100% secure alternative, and another month before we move to the new location.

In those 2 months we need to find a suitable house to rent, make the required modification, and get a bushiban license.

My husband is busy looking on the internet for the bushiban regulations, and I have just come back from going to all the local real estate agents.

What do you think out chances are?

Does anyone have any advice (other than what has already been offered in the other bushiban threads)?

Most importantly what is a realistic time for making the modification ( I don’t even know what they would be yet) and getting a bushiban license approved?

I’d give yourself about a month for each. That should be well enough provided there are no problems. Time to find a suitable place will be another factor. Two months may be cutting it close depending. Depending on local regs you may need an architect and a fire regulation consultant for the licensing. If you don’t know any or aren’t sure I suggest working through the local Buxiban Association. The key is sorting that out BEFORE you sign a rental contract much less fix the place up… A place you rent/modifications you do may prove to be unlicensable or expensive to correct.

Thanks for the info.

I managed to find the info for Bushiban licensing here: center.kl.edu.tw/v7/eduweb/i … &law_id=45 , although it does not appear to be complete.

I also went to the local fire department and asked for a copy of the regulations. They did not have anything to give me?

The guy spoke to my husband in Chinese and again they said there is no list of all the fire department requirements. He said you simply need to get the house checked out by their inspector, and he will then tell you what needs to be done. This can’t be right, can it?

The guy said that usually all this is taken care of by an ‘agent’, this has been mentioned in the other thread as not being necessary.

He also said that if the house we use was previously registered as a bushiban than it does not take to long.

However, if the property was used for residential, then I need to apply with the local government to have that changed, and that can take up to 6 months.

No, it’s right.

For a novice like you, with little resources, it’s necessary.

Be sure - absolutely sure - that your place is licensable. I lost money on my 1st location because of poor research on my agent’s part.

Here’s the number for the reliable Taipei Buxiban Assn–23119352. I’m not sure if they handle Keelung cases or not but they should be able to point you in the right direction. In my experience a good agent is worth the money. Some may argue that it’s unnecessary but you will have to know what you are doing. If you need it done in two months it’s just possible with an agent guiding you through the often capricious and ever changing hoops. On your own I’d wager it would be impossible to get it done so quickly. Most of the cost goes towards the architect and fire people anyway, which there is no avoiding unless you are friends with one or something. This has been my experience in Taipei anyway, not sure if Keelung is exactly the same but I’d guess there are more similarities than differences.

Thanks for all the help.

I will call them and ask for some recommendations for agents in Keelung.

As for an architect, not sure what will be required for the fire department, but we are not planning on doing anything that should require an architect. Simply a room with desks, chairs, whiteboard, bookshelves (B&Q?) venetian blinds and and air conditioner, .

Same for the reception, no fancy front desk or display cases, just a desk, chair, telephone, computer and fax.

At this stage we are only concerned about getting a space to keep teaching the students. We will worry about making it look beautiful when we have successfully made the change and know how many parents will actually follow us.

At this stage the headache is finding a house for rent.

I was also told that it is possible to legally start teaching WHILE you are applying for the license (will get this confirmed on Monday, or when I speak to an agent), but, I am not sure if this also includes being able to teach while waiting for the local government to change a house address from residency to commercial.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

[quote=“jands”]

As for an architect, not sure what will be required for the fire department, but we are not planning on doing anything that should require an architect. [/quote]

In Taipei the Buildings Department requires blueprints of the school, inspection, possible corrections and changes, all needing to be recorded, before licensing which brings the architect into it.

Not sure. Pretty sure it’s not possible to do legally in Taipei, I might be wrong though. That doesn’t stop anyone from doing it, it’s pretty much an open secret, with the caveat that the school wouldn’t yet be able to get a work permit for a foreigner.

Could you rent a larger apartment and dedicate one room to your classes? I know someone who does this here but I’m not sure if there are any limits on number of students.

We have 50 students, they are all enrolled in anchin, math and English. If we can get a house with at least three large rooms, then there will be no change for them or the parents. Same timetable, same books, same everything…just a different location. This way we can probably keep most of them.

I don’t think an apartment will be big enough (most apartments in this area are small, with lots of new houses for sale). I also don’t know if an apartment can be licensed, will ask the agent on Monday.

At this stage things are not looking good, I have been to 7 real estate agent, and they have no houses for rent, only new houses for sale.

My husband and I have just bough a house 2 years ago (in a residential only area), so I can’t afford to take out a second mortgage.

[quote=“jands”]We have 50 students, they are all enrolled in anchin, math and English. If we can get a house with at least three large rooms, then there will be no change for them or the parents. Same timetable, same books, same everything…just a different location. This way we can probably keep most of them.

I don’t think an apartment will be big enough (most apartments in this area are small, with lots of new houses for sale). I also don’t know if an apartment can be licensed, will ask the agent on Monday.

At this stage things are not looking good, I have been to 7 real estate agent, and they have no houses for rent, only new houses for sale.

My husband and I have just bough a house 2 years ago (in a residential only area), so I can’t afford to take out a second mortgage.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. How about using your home to provide after-school care and English? Maybe you and the math teacher could split the students? Just an idea to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not willing to do anything illegal (even though this is Taiwan). I put up with a lot to get my APRC (7 years with the same company), and now that I have a it (PLUS a house and mortgage) I am not willing to do anything that wail jeopardize that.

After school care is called AnChin, and it also requires a license. This is not possible because our house is in a residential zone that does not allow any businesses. There is another type of semi-residential zone which allows a house to be used for either a residence or a business.

I am not giving up yet, and I can deal with most of the requirements, but if there is not suitable space to rent or lease, then it all becomes irrelevant.

I will then simply have to give up on the idea, say good bye to my hard-worked for students and find another job. This is not easy in Keelung, so it looks like I will have to look in Taipei, and commute (like most of the professional people living in keelung).

Sorry, I would never encourage illegal activities :slight_smile: but I guess what I was thinking of was what’s called “home daycare” in the US. Just as there are women, usually retired nurses, who care for little ones in their homes here (baomu if I’m not mistaken) I wonder if there is something like that here for older children, but instead of just custodial care they’d be having class with you.

Good luck!

Well, we have worked hard on this but everything has worked against us. We have not found a suitable house to rent before June, and I don’t have enough cash to get a mortgage on a second house.

We have a contact who will rent us a suitable house, but construction won’t be completed until the end of August. So that mean losing the chance of taking students with us and means having to start from scratch.

I better start doing some serious job hunting, and looking at what is available on TEALIT this won’t be easy, especially in Keelung. So, I get to look forward to commuting to Taipei every day (and even in Taipei jobs are scarce).

Right now I am actually seriously considering going back to my old, reliable school in Kaohsiung. A job is more important than being married and playing ‘house’