Business and Coronavirus situation

Thanks for all the inputs, they are all greatly appreciated!
Wish the best for all of you and the Forumosans! :innocent:

2 Likes

Good luck

1 Like

Can you do it yourself without partners which makes things more complex?

In Taipei? Sushi?

Anyways, some businesses are doing better than others at the moment, but if you commit to rent now, 4 months down the road no one knows. Committing for a year means you can not invest too much in decorating the place, the landlord will be watching and add a ‘good’ business surplus for sure if all goes well.

I figured I’d update the situation.

I left the company because 2 of them did no-shows during a critical workshop for our store. It was a sake certification class that one of our partners organized. After this, the organizer (who was part of the ownership) even suggested I take the money and bail.

So I did, and I was able to leave with a full refund. (Thank god)

I am going to run a food truck with just myself with some help from my Taiwanese wife.
My friend is currently running a Mexican food truck, and so many of my folks convinced me that a food truck is a way to go now.

I researched the actual legality of the truck itself, and I sent my truck to a highly skilled fabricator who will do everything legally within the laws of Taiwan.

As for the business side, I asked a lawyer, and he said that truck wouldn’t need a license, but I also saw that you could get fined(?). What would be a safe bet so that I can try to avoid trouble and run everything legally? I’m willing to pay for certain licenses and health safety classes.
I’ve been asking around, and as much as I am hearing, there shouldn’t be major legal issues as long as the location is legal…any thoughts?

Ideally, I’d like to have one location I can park and serve, so that customers will know where I am and I can also use electricity and water. And when there are events I will move around.

I’ll be serving sushi/snacks/beer/imported sake.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Befriend the other food truck operators. There’s a community of them and they organize where they go on a weekly basis. A lot of it is pop up markets these days like in the Yuanshan area and different festivals.

It’s dodgier just randomly parking since you’re at the mercy of cops and gangsters.

1 Like

Yes, the truck fabricator is also the organizer for these type of events. Once the truck is done I will be a member of mobile food truck organization so I will get regular updates about events.

I’m willing to pay rent for decent location(s) and my in-laws are also helping me out. They own a very old restaurant and they know enough people so that I could avoid certain cultural problems. Again, we’re still searching. Thanks for the input!

1 Like