Business in Bicycles

Hey everyone, I am a physics graduate from Lancaster University, UK looking to start a business in bicycles in Taiwan. I am an Indian national and have been living in the UK for 6 years now. I have a just discovered a niche in bicycles which I want to try out in Taiwan… Over the past few months I have been researching about the bicycle industry in Taiwan, and without a doubt it stands out to be one of the best in the world.

The other reason I am looking to move to Taiwan is that I am fed up of the western way of life. Being an avid reader of Confucian and Taoist texts, I find it very difficult to harmonise and apply ancient teachings in western society. Knowing that China is heading in the same direction, there are only few places left in the world who still value ancient way of life. My research also led me to find out that Taiwan is putting massive efforts in bringing back Confucian culture. This is music to my ears and I want to be a part of this movement.

Current difficulties that I am facing at the moment, is to find out what visas would I require to start my own business in Taiwan? Secondly if I do start my business can I be self-employed and self-independant? Or do I have to employ Taiwanese nationals to comply with visa rules? What would be the best way to live and work in Taiwan if business route turns out to be very expensive? I have already tried applying for teaching jobs but it is very difficult to get into teaching if you don’t look like a westerner. Even though I have lived and worked in the UK and I sound like a northerner, it is still not convincing enough. I am really looking forward to change my life around and do some good in the world. Anything that could help me be in Taiwan at this point would really make a difference. Will look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance

[quote=“fatguyslim”]Hey everyone, I am a physics graduate from Lancaster University, UK looking to start a business in bicycles in Taiwan. I am an Indian national and have been living in the UK for 6 years now. I have a just discovered a niche in bicycles which I want to try out in Taiwan… Over the past few months I have been researching about the bicycle industry in Taiwan, and without a doubt it stands out to be one of the best in the world.

The other reason I am looking to move to Taiwan is that I am fed up of the western way of life. Being an avid reader of Confucian and Taoist texts, I find it very difficult to harmonise and apply ancient teachings in western society. Knowing that China is heading in the same direction, there are only few places left in the world who still value ancient way of life. My research also led me to find out that Taiwan is putting massive efforts in bringing back Confucian culture. This is music to my ears and I want to be a part of this movement.

Current difficulties that I am facing at the moment, is to find out what visas would I require to start my own business in Taiwan? Secondly if I do start my business can I be self-employed and self-independant? Or do I have to employ Taiwanese nationals to comply with visa rules? What would be the best way to live and work in Taiwan if business route turns out to be very expensive? I have already tried applying for teaching jobs but it is very difficult to get into teaching if you don’t look like a westerner. Even though I have lived and worked in the UK and I sound like a northerner, it is still not convincing enough. I am really looking forward to change my life around and do some good in the world. Anything that could help me be in Taiwan at this point would really make a difference. Will look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance[/quote]
I am from a few miles away in Lancaster.My next door neighbour is Lancaster University Physics Prof.Dean Colin Lambert…small World.
You will find it difficult to work in that field without having some exceptional skills required,perhaps. With a degree ,you would probably be able to teach as a way in?
I am not sure your views on Taiwanese Culture are accurate. My understanding is that Taiwan is striving to adopt more Western thinking,in some areas at least.
Also you will find some posts on Racism which may disturb you in Taiwan.Taiwanese people are very friendly towards most Foreigners, a curiosity maybe but are capable of ignoring Confucian ideas ,to make a profit, I fear. :2cents:

Well if you like being told what to do and not understand why all means work for a Taiwanese employer.
Taiwan is no Confucian paradise but there is a lot of interest in Daoism, Buddhism and supernatural behaviour if you like that sort of thing.

There are a few ways you could come to Taiwan. One good way is to apply for graduate school here. Another is to get an employer to sponsor your work visa. I’m not sure about teaching English, not impossible biggest difficult with an Indian passport. You could also look at some of these religious organizations in Taiwan and see if they will bring you into their cult I mean recruit you as a disciple, you could tell them you will help spread their message in India.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Well if you like being told what to do and not understand why all means work for a Taiwanese employer.
Taiwan is no Confucian paradise but there is a lot of interest in Daoism, Buddhism and supernatural behaviour if you like that sort of thing.

There are a few ways you could come to Taiwan. One good way is to apply for graduate school here. Another is to get an employer to sponsor your work visa. I’m not sure about teaching English, not impossible biggest difficult with an Indian passport. You could also look at some of these religious organizations in Taiwan and see if they will bring you into their cult I mean recruit you as a disciple, you could tell them you will help spread their message in India.[/quote]

HH you are a wise man who has been here longer than me!. …have you thought about starting a Cult? Problem for OP in “white collar” job will be proving why they need him ,over a Taiwanese employee, I thought? Just need that ARC somehow,to get started.

Exactly, the OP just needs the ARC to get his foot in the door and establish base camp of operations. Some lateral thinking can help him achieve his goal. OP, there are many Indian nationals doing postgrads in Taiwan, especially in the sciences. There are also MBA type courses. Taiwan is quite generous with scholarships and funding as they are eager to boost the foreign student population. Search online or contact with the Taiwan rep office in the UK who may be able to help you.

As for starting a cult, yes I have actually thought about it. It seems by far the easiest way to get money from the credulous, the needy and the greedy, the world is your oyster.

OP what is your “niche”? it had better be a good niche is all I’m saying.

Thanks for the info guys. HH joining a religious group or a cult is not my thing. The reason why I was talking about Confucian teachings is because it is their true culture passed down by their ancestors and it should remain that way. Confucianism and Taoism has got nothing to do with religion, sadly enough it has changed into something like a cult in modern times.

Hello “The bear”, it is a very credible niche which I am not comfortable about sharing on this forum but I will say that it has a massive potential in the east. Someone in Taiwan might already be doing it but I havent come across anyone yet.

Hey Sheadoa, I know who Prof. Lambert is, he never taught me but I know of him. I agree ARC will be a good start but don’t I need a job before I get the ARC?

No, an ARC means alien resident certificate. You may be issued this residence visa under different purposes.
This could be

• student
  • work
  • investment
  • trade office rep
  • world renowned expert
  • marriage
  • religious training

That is why I gave you some ideas to pursue earlier. As a student you have some limits on working, but it would allow you to come to Taiwan figure out things from here.

You could open a company or rep office in Taiwan, but to get yourself a work permit and ARC through this process you may need a high revenue turnover within the first year. You can look for the sticky thread on opening a representative office on this website.