Business Practice

Do private English academies typically try to get you to work for a pay rate lower than you originally agreed on? I have been asked to work for lower than the original pay rate agreed on, multiple times, I have been told it’s because they charge less for certain classes (maybe because the student can’t afford the whole rate or because it’s a private class for child). Nonetheless, I’m not being forced to work, just asked if I want to do the classes. Obviously I’ve said no, I’m just concerned that this will be a repeated theme and they will be the only classes offered to me.

I do have other classes which I’m being paid the proper rate for. Just didn’t know if this was something I would see across multiple academies in Taipei.

Hope you understand, any response is appreciated.

Thanks,

G

[quote=“Geeno”]Do private English academies typically try to get you to work for a pay rate lower than you originally agreed on? I have been asked to work for lower than the original pay rate agreed on, multiple times, I have been told it’s because they charge less for certain classes (maybe because the student can’t afford the whole rate or because it’s a private class for child). Nonetheless, I’m not being forced to work, just asked if I want to do the classes. Obviously I’ve said no, I’m just concerned that this will be a repeated theme and they will be the only classes offered to me.

I do have other classes which I’m being paid the proper rate for. Just didn’t know if this was something I would see across multiple academies in Taipei.

Hope you understand, any response is appreciated.

Thanks,

G[/quote]
You can haggle with them, maybe like this: “Okay, for these special classes the base rate is x for the first y students, with an additional z per student thereafter (in case enrollment increases later), and we’ll sign an annex to the contract clearly explaining that this new system is limited to these special classes, and every time I teach a special class the person on duty will sign an acknowledgement of the number of students actually attending that day, and in the event that we need to calculate my average wage for legal purposes the additional per-student amount paid will be recognized as part of the wage and not as a bonus.”

A lower rate for 1-on-1 makes sense, but if they just want you to feel sorry for poorer students, I would explain that charity is a more suitable activity for a lofty employer (or an outside party) than for a lowly worker. :2cents:

Right, I understand. But is this a common business practice in Taiwan? If this is something I would come across everywhere, then I would obviously Try and work around it, not just up and leave. This is a lot different than Barcelona. Haha

Pretty much par for the course, negotiate a contract and then do your level best to get a better deal regardless of what you signed up to originally.

G[/quote]
You can haggle with them, maybe like this: “Okay, for these special classes the base rate is x for the first y students, with an additional z per student thereafter (in case enrollment increases later), and we’ll sign an annex to the contract clearly explaining that this new system is limited to these special classes, and every time I teach a special class the person on duty will sign an acknowledgement of the number of students actually attending that day, and in the event that we need to calculate my average wage for legal purposes the additional per-student amount paid will be recognized as part of the wage and not as a bonus.”
[/quote]

Yeh, that’ll shut them up.