Busking...legal or illegal?

Just wondering if public busking is legal or illegal for foreigners. I would like to try busking in Taipei when I arrive and I’m wondering if I’ll have any problems…legally? Are there special licenses needed?

Thanks,

Carlos

If you don’t have a work visa for performing music, it is illegal, search for “Scott Ezell”

You can get permits for busking in certain areas. Danshui’s boardwalk, for one. Go to the police in the area and talk with them - you will get assigned a time, which you cannot go beyond, and you’ll have to sign in and out with the area’s police each time. But be warned - they can be very fickle; if you start doing too well, the locals performing around the same place will do everything possible to make your performing life hell.

in Taiwan, busking = begging (just with entertainment as the difference between you and any other beggar)

[quote=“Tyc00n”]in Taiwan, busking = begging (just with entertainment as the difference between you and any other beggar)[/quote]Wrong.

I wouldn’t be playing music. I would like to try doing Street Magic. I don’t know if the rules still apply, but I’ll look into it when I arrive. Thanks for the posts.

Carlos

I can make beer dissappear from a glass and magically re-appear in a golden stream which sparkels like diamonds in the sunlight.

But I can’t get anyone to put coins in my hat for doing it… :noway:

2 Likes

I remember the good old days - foreign buskers in every underground walkway, earning some honest cash. A fine tradition that was probably ended by Chen Shuibian when he became mayor (around the same time he abolished video games and pachinko parlors).

And a good thing it was. I spent too much time playing 3D tetris down in Gongguan. But man, what a game.

I think busking is illegal for anyone without a permit, Taiwanese or foreigner. I seem to remember reading that the city government issues a limited number of permits every year, and most of them seem to go to blind or otherwise handicapped people sitting in the underground shopping malls.

1. Playing music on the street without a permit is illegal. For a foreigner it could lead to getting deported in some places like Taidong but I would guess that in Taipei or Taichung you would get a warning and possibly a fine first. The police have seen many foreigners busk here and I’m sure they;ve developed their way of handling this ‘menace’ to public order.

[On a side note–while I have seen a few very talented foreign musicians on the streets of Taipei, there have also been some that were so excruciatingly bad and persistent that I believe the police did us alll a public service by busting them. Sorry, but it was annoying]

Street magic may be off the radar–at least at first. So you might well get away with it, or you you might get deported. The police will decide when they catch you. Sorry to be unhelpful and confusing, but this is a level of uncertaintly about that you will need to get used to here.

Unless he can make the police disappear! :smiley:

If you’re busking without a permit in Taipe City and you’re not a complete bastard about it when you get pulled up by the cops, they’re usually pretty OK about it. Slap on the wrist, harsh words, and nothing else. Of course, this also depends on where you’re busking - if you’re not making a nuisance of yourself, blocking foot traffic, or anything like that, you can get away with it. But permits don’t sound too hard to get, so definitely look into that first.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the info. Maybe you’ll see me out there some day, just be nice. No heckeling please. :noway:

Carlos

I tried busking in Taipei years ago, and made some money. It was okay. Just wondering if anyone here has ever done it, and if so, how did it go? Is it worth a go?

[quote=“Lucky_Duck”]I tried busking in Taipei years ago, and made some money. It was okay. Just wondering if anyone here has ever done it, and if so, how did it go? Is it worth a go?[/quote]Snydwynder (a forumosan) has done it a few times now. He gets out there with his bag pipes and “blows for money”. He said it’s pretty good money and a few times he’s made at least $3000nt - $5000nt in a few hours. It’s something worth trying…not “blowing for money”, but rather some Street Magic.

[quote=“Lucky_Duck”]I tried busking in Taipei years ago, and made some money. It was okay. Just wondering if anyone here has ever done it, and if so, how did it go? Is it worth a go?[/quote]I had a friend who did it as her sole source of income (well, she was selling CDs of her work at the same time, but still) and she was making a good few of thousand NT a day on the good days, and NT$500+ on the bad. If you do it legally, it could be worth it. Otherwise you could be taking too much of a risk.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I can make beer dissappear from a glass and magically re-appear in a golden stream which sparkels like diamonds in the sunlight.

But I can’t get anyone to put coins in my hat for doing it… :noway:[/quote]

LOL :laughing:

Anyway back to topic, what about playing a gig in a band, in a pub for example? Even if it’s not for money? Is there still the risk of a fine and/or deportation?

He just earned my vote. :bravo:

He just earned my vote. :bravo:[/quote]What are you talking about?! Those video games and pachinko parlors are awesome! Even just the little gambling video games in the shady corner stores or night markets…i love those things! Great time killers and sometimes even profitable…haha!

Carlos

I think what he means is that in Taipei City, video games and pachinko are banned, but in the other 99/100 of Taiwan, they are still legal and still everywhere.