Buxiban job market and salary

Do I need an actual teaching qualification to get a decent salary as an English teacher?

I taught English at a big-name cram school in Taiwan between 2011 to 2012 and, judging by this thread, either I was incredibly lucky or things have changed a lot since then, because I was living very comfortably in New Taipei City, working plenty of overtime, and putting away good money each month. I took a massive pay cut when I left English teaching to pursue an IT career in Taiwan.

1 Like

And were you getting lots of dem easy girl too?

It’s incredible that the typical starting hourly rate is still 600 an hour.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfionMmCGoU)

I think you should multiply by something like 4.33, not 4. It makes a small difference but since we are talking about money, this is circa +8% :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I too feel very lucky. And that’s present year. Mine is very straightforward. Not overworked but given enough teaching hours (25 give or take.) would love to hear some other positive examples as on this forum I often hear doom and gloom scenarios

I never liked cram school because of the holiday situation. Always had to find subs to take over all your classes, at least at HESS you do, and then it was unpaid too.

Typhoon day rolls around, no work no pay. Same with public holidays. My current salary job I get paid holidays and I get paid for public holidays/typhoon days too.

1 Like

Yeah the schools do sound a lot more stable and reliable. Thanks for the replies Zap :slight_smile:

Ouch—

My school (buxiban) entry level salary is about 65k a month depending on experience.

The place I work at, management is nice but my salary is 65k a month plus holidays/typhoon days. I have been teaching for 5 years now and 3 years in the same kindergarten, what should I expect?

A better job. Why don’t you try to find work in a public school or something? 5 years and still teaching kindy is not so hot.

I’m wondering what the market is looking like in 2020? I’m assuming schools are desperate for teachers, does that mean the salaries are being raised? Also, could one land a job from outside of Taiwan, get a visa and then travel to Taiwan to start?

1 Like